Bears could be interested in trading too much for Khalil Mack

cooters22

47 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Updated odds as of today:

Will the Raiders trade Mack during the 2018 season? 

• Yes -500
  • No +350

What team will Mack be on after the trade deadline?

• Packers +200
  • Raiders +250
  • Bears +350
  • Jets +450
  • Bills +1000
  • Redskins +1500
  • Steelers +1500
  • Giants +2000
  • Field +550

https://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/khalil-mack-trade-could-be-imminent

+350 that he stays lol okay what is going on...

Wait wait. Are any books, online or Vegas even taking action on this?

Looks like one site.. They have everything. You can bet on a bunch of who is going to be the starter matchups even.. Kinda cool

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No, freaked out we'll trade two first round picks for 4 years of production. 

Two first round picks which are likely to fall in the bottom 10 picks in round 1. To get a guy who is a top 3 defender in the league. Let that sink in for a minute. Four years of production is more than you get out of MOST (more than 50%) of first round picks. The odds are extremely high there will not be a single player in next years draft with this kids Hall of Fame type of production. They are even slimmer as you get into the 20's and beyond in the draft. 

I am so glad you aren't our GM. I just hope our current GM would pull the trigger if we could even sniff getting this guy for 2 - 1st round picks next year. 

Just now, Golfman said:

I am so glad you aren't our GM.

This is the most lolable insult this site has to offer.  You're glad I'm not the GM because you disagree with my opinion?  Gosh, it's kinda like I feel the same way obviously. 

Would you rather keep your 2 first round picks and see Khalil Mack traded to the Bears for a 1st and 4th?  No way I want to see Mack lined up opposite Rodgers 2 times a year for the next 6 years.  If it keeps Mack from going to the Bears I trade both picks in a heartbeat.

Just now, eyecatcher said:

Would you rather keep your 2 first round picks and see Khalil Mack traded to the Bears for a 1st and 4th?  No way I want to see Mack lined up opposite Rodgers 2 times a year for the next 6 years.  If it keeps Mack from going to the Bears I trade both picks in a heartbeat.

Suddenly the Bears get him for a first round pick and a 4th round pick?  How is that fair? 

Frankly, I don't give a damn if the Bears get him.  A franchise pass rusher without a franchise QB doesn't do much for a team.  Jared Allen sacked Rodgers like 97 times and what did the Vikings have to show for it? 

I don't see Trubisky as a franchise QB, so if the Bears want to blow their next four years on Mack, let them. 

Also, the speculation here is wildly biased towards Mack and biased against our first round picks. 

Literally ALL of the speculation goes against the first round picks, and NONE of it goes against Mack.

Here's some speculation that shows how easily it balances out:

1. Injury to Mack.
2. Paying Mack translates to a lack of effort.  It's happened before, it will happen again.  It's a part of the NFL.
3. There's more to payment causing the Raiders to speculate trading Mack.

The Niners would have been CRAZY to trade Aldon Smith for anything less than two first round picks after his third year.
The Chargers would have been CRAZY to trade Merriman for anything less than two first round picks after his third year.

Trading for Mack virtually ends any offseason next year.  Any offseason whatsoever.  You're not having a good draft, you're not adding any free agents, and you're losing Bulaga, Matthews, Cobb, Wilkerson, Clinton-Dix, Allison, Ryan...

Without those two first round picks, how are you recuperating those losses? 

You've fixed pass rusher.  Great.  It's fixed for four years.  But now you have no money and no draft picks with gaping holes at the following positions:

Right tackle.
#3 pass rusher (with Perry to rely on as your #2)
WR 2
WR 3
DL depth
Safety

You've just traded three starters, two of the most important backup spots and depth along the defensive line for one player.  Not only that, but you've traded the cap space to fix those holes, and you've traded the draft capital to both afford AND acquire them.

It is NOT as simple as adding an elite defensive player at the cost of 20th-32nd overall draft picks.  It is what that move prevents you from doing.  It is the consequences.  Every action...

Add in a diva QB who is going to demand to be the highest paid player in the history of ever and you are completely, irrevocably WRECKING ANY offseason whatsoever next year. 

Steep price. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, the speculation here is wildly biased towards Mack and biased against our first round picks. 

Literally ALL of the speculation goes against the first round picks, and NONE of it goes against Mack.

1. Injury to Mack.
2. Paying Mack translates to a lack of effort.  It's happened before, it will happen again.  It's a part of the NFL.

The Niners would have been CRAZY to trade Aldon Smith for anything less than two first round picks after his third year.
The Chargers would have been CRAZY to trade Merriman for anything less than two first round picks after his third year.

Trading for Mack virtually ends any offseason next year.  Any offseason whatsoever.  You're not having a good draft, you're not adding any free agents, and you're losing Bulaga, Matthews, Cobb, Wilkerson, Clinton-Dix, Allison, Ryan...

You've fixed pass rusher.  Great.  It's fixed for four years.  But now you have no money and no draft picks with gaping holes at the following positions:

Right tackle.
WR 2
WR 3
DL depth
Safety

You've just traded three starters, two of the most important backup spots and depth along the defensive line for one player.  Not only that, but you've traded the cap space to fix those holes, and you've traded the draft capital to both afford AND acquire them.

It is NOT as simple as adding an elite defensive player at the cost of 20th-32nd overall draft picks.  It is what that move prevents you from doing.  It is the consequences.  Every action...

Add in a diva QB who is going to demand to be the highest paid player in the history of ever and you are completely, irrevocably WRECKING ANY offseason whatsoever next year. 

Steep price. 

If we manage to pull this off, PM me your address so I can send you a new Packers Mack jersey. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

If we manage to pull this off, PM me your address so I can send you a new Packers Mack jersey. 

If we don't pull this off, PM me your address so I can send you a new Packers Nick Bosa jersey after we use our two first round picks to trade up for him.  He'll be 21 at the start of next season, so his jersey will have meaning for approximately 9 more years, and it will cost about ten million less. 

15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Suddenly the Bears get him for a first round pick and a 4th round pick?  How is that fair?

Their first round pick will be much higher than the Packers.  Duh!   LOL

I'm thinking the Packers could get him for something close to a 1st and a 4th too but I wouldn't hesitate to make it both 1sts in order to prevent the Bears from taking him.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

1. Injury to Mack.

Right tackle.
WR 2
WR 3
DL depth
Safety

Steep price. 

You do realize that Cobb and Mathews alone account for $24 mil in salary cap. The largest cap hit for a pass rusher is Justin Houston at $20.6M. That doesn't even account for Russ structuring the contract in a team friendly way. The same will be done with Rodgers. 

Your whole premise about losing all of these players and not being able to do anything next offseason is just flat wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If we don't pull this off, PM me your address so I can send you a new Packers Nick Bosa jersey after we use our two first round picks to trade up for him.  He'll be 21 at the start of next season, so his jersey will have meaning for approximately 9 more years, and it will cost about ten million less. 

I think you've identified the one scenario even less likely to happen than a trade for Mack. 

Archived