Bears could be interested in trading too much for Khalil Mack

cooters22

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I've posted this enough times and I'm not going to do it again but depending on how they would structure the deals for Mack and Rodgers this is wrong.

Alright, I'll post this one time.  If Rodgers and Mack were the types to sign deals that help the team they're on, Rodgers would be signed to an extension by now, and Mack wouldn't be causing so much trade buzz.

Neither of those players are signed.  One of them is holding out.  What makes you think they're suddenly going to sign deals to help their teams when one of them isn't even on the team he's supposed to be helping? 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Alright, I'll post this one time.  If Rodgers and Mack were the types to sign deals that help the team they're on, Rodgers would be signed to an extension by now, and Mack wouldn't be causing so much trade buzz.

Neither of those players are signed.  One of them is holding out.  What makes you think they're suddenly going to sign deals to help their teams when one of them isn't even on the team he's supposed to be helping? 

You can backload them and use Rodgers 2 years of base only salary to convert to bonuses and gain salary in the short term, would we be as healthy when Rodgers is 38-39? No. I don't care about that however, I'd rather capitalize on this window and tank when he's gone to get our next franchise QB.

With Clay unsigned next offseason, make a normal mock draft and see how many FA $$'s (new or resigning Clay) we use plus picks to trade up to top 10 to get an edge defender for not a very cheap salary.

$$ and draft invesment isn't horrible different trading up top 10 and resigning Clay and potentially making a move for Mack now. 

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, the speculation here is wildly biased towards Mack and biased against our first round picks. 

Literally ALL of the speculation goes against the first round picks, and NONE of it goes against Mack.

I sense a lot of bias against our two picks next year is due to PTSD, suffered from many first round misses over the years.  I understand the vote-of-no-confidence in first round picks, vs the known quantity in Mack - even it is only four years of production. 

You can backload them and use Rodgers 2 years of base only salary to convert to bonuses and gain salary in the short term, would we be as healthy when Rodgers is 38-39? No. I don't care about that however, I'd rather capitalize on this window and tank when he's gone to get our next franchise QB.

You can't backload the entire deal. 

We are projected to have 38 million in cap space next year.  Let's say BOTH Rodgers AND Mack sign wildly team-friendly deals. 

Rodgers counts 30 million against the cap (you'd be hard-pressed to speculate Rodgers would do much more when he's projected 21 against the cap next year already).

Mack wants 22 million.  Let's say he's EXTREMELY friendly and counts only 15 million against the cap. 

9 million more against the cap for Rodgers (29 million left)
15 against for Mack (14 million left)

This is ALREADY including Matthews and Cobb gone. 

You've got 14 million to re-sign/replace the following players:
1. Clay Matthews (#3 EDGE/ILB)
2. Randall Cobb (#2 WR)
3. Muhammed Wilkerson
4. Marcedes Lewis
5. HaHa Clinton-Dix
6. Davon House (#4 corner)
7. Montgomery
8. Jake Ryan
9. Gerronimo Allison
10. Kentrell Brice

Keep in mind you still need to allocate some for our draft picks, which we don't have until the second round. 

Now how can you tell me a team lacking that amount of depth is in better position to win a Super Bowl over the next three years considering you just lost two first round draft picks. 

No excuses, no misdirection, make a team. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

You can't backload the entire deal. 

We are projected to have 38 million in cap space next year.  Let's say BOTH Rodgers AND Mack sign wildly team-friendly deals. 

Rodgers counts 30 million against the cap (you'd be hard-pressed to speculate Rodgers would do much more when he's projected 21 against the cap next year already).

Mack wants 22 million.  Let's say he's EXTREMELY friendly and counts only 15 million against the cap. 

9 million more against the cap for Rodgers (29 million left)
15 against for Mack (14 million left)

This is ALREADY including Matthews and Cobb gone. 

You've got 14 million to re-sign/replace the following players:
1. Clay Matthews (#3 EDGE/ILB)
2. Randall Cobb (#2 WR)
3. Muhammed Wilkerson
4. Marcedes Lewis
5. HaHa Clinton-Dix
6. Davon House (#4 corner)
7. Montgomery
8. Jake Ryan
9. Gerronimo Allison
10. Kentrell Brice

Keep in mind you still need to allocate some for our draft picks, which we don't have until the second round. 

Now how can you tell me a team lacking that amount of depth is in better position to win a Super Bowl over the next three years considering you just lost two first round draft picks. 

No excuses, no misdirection, make a team. 

Rodgers has a year left on his deal, you don't have to tear it up to extend him. In fact as I said you could convert his entire salary to bonuses and spread them out over the course of a new deal, making his cap hit next year somewhere around 5m, and Rodgers gets paid that all upfront so he has no reason to reject.

All depends on how they choose to structure, it's not concrete as you make it.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

I sense a lot of bias against our two picks next year is due to PTSD, suffered from many first round misses over the years.  I understand the vote-of-no-confidence in first round picks, vs the known quantity in Mack - even it is only four years of production. 

Who was a miss? 

Kenny Clark, one of the youngest rising star DL in the game?
Randall, an out of place corner who would have been better at safety?
Clinton-Dix, an above average safety who has flashed elite potential?
Datone Jones, 26th overall
Nick Perry, who is dominant when healthy?
Sherrod - Injury write-off
Bulaga - Top half tackle
Raji/Matthews - Elite seasons from both

Where are the misses there?  One of our last nine first round picks could fairly be called a miss. 

16 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

You're forgetting that Brees will be on IR in week 1.

With our luck, that would happen if we trade the pick for Mack. If we don't trade for him, the Saints will beat us in the NFCCG so we'll get picks 30 and 31. 

Rodgers has a year left on his deal, you don't have to tear it up to extend him. In fact as I said you could convert his entire salary to bonuses and spread them out over the course of a new deal, making his cap hit next year somewhere around 5m, and Rodgers gets paid that all upfront so he has no reason to reject.

All depends on how they choose to structure, it's not concrete as you make it.

Oh, now Rodgers isn't going to want a new deal?  Lol.  Yeah.  Right.  No reason to reject.  Rodgers.  Biggest ego at the QB position in the NFL, who you KNOW has a massive chip on his shoulder and wants to be paid the highest ever.  Riiiiiiigggggghhhhhht. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Oh, now Rodgers isn't going to want a new deal?  Lol.  Yeah.  Right.  No reason to reject.  Rodgers.  Biggest ego at the QB position in the NFL, who you KNOW has a massive chip on his shoulder and wants to be paid the highest ever.  Riiiiiiigggggghhhhhht. 

You don't get it, you can sign him now, and not rip up the deal he has in place, so the extension kicks in for the 2020 season. Common practice in extensions, take a second to read and comprehend before spouting off.

Just now, BrettFavre004 said:

With Clay unsigned next offseason, make a normal mock draft and see how many FA $$'s (new or resigning Clay) we use plus picks to trade up to top 10 to get an edge defender for not a very cheap salary.

$$ and draft invesment isn't horrible different trading up top 10 and resigning Clay and potentially making a move for Mack now. 

I don't understand this post. 

You don't get it, you can sign him now, and not rip up the deal he has in place, so the extension kicks in for the 2020 season. Common practice in extensions, take a second to read and comprehend before spouting off.

No, you don't get it.  Rodgers will not accept an extension, and he's going to want a completely new deal.  Rodgers is not going to play in 2019 counting only 21 million against the cap. 

Archived