Preseason WEEK 1, GDT vs Tennessee

squire12

23 minutes ago, Beast said:

It's not good to play the what-if game (other than pure fun), because what-if you're what-if is completely wrong instead of being completely right?

What if Boyle is the next Kurt Warner, or Aaron Rodgers, or Brian Brohm, or McBum or SirBumalot? The if can be extremely good or extremely bad.

Though I find it interesting you mentioned Kurt Warner, because Boyle did reminded me of Warner, from the perspective of standing tall in the pocket and delivering a good pass as a blitzer is about to straight up nail you. Mike Martz offenses had a lot more 7 step drops in them which allowed more pass rush time, which led to a lot more hits on his QBs (which is why most of Martz's QBs were either injured or sucked). But Warner had the toughness for it and could deliver the ball well even with a defender in his face and about to nail him... and Boyle did do that well.

That being said, most coaches have suggested that with the new CBA limiting time you can coach, they don't have time to really develop 3rd QBs anymore, where Kurt Warner not only played under the old CBA which gave him more time, but he also got to play in NFL Europe to develop. And really since the new rules were put in place... MM hasn't been able to develop any successful QBs (Rodgers/Flynn were under the old CBA).

But I think the WR draft pick rookies are safe... Kumerow is the iffy 7th spot guy (even though he might be out playing the rookies according to reports, they have more potential and younger)... but what if Kumerow is the next Donald Driver? The what if guy can be all over the place.

Though I will note, that in my personal mock roster, I did had Boyle, took Kumerow off (FOR A SECOND), then decided either RB Mays (holding Jones spot until suspension) or OL Bell had to go... I choose Bell had to go.

Great analysis of Warner. "What if" games are fun to play. This partly a speculation blog, right? Why not play? Your personal mock roster is just speculation (unless you're really Gute in disguise!). My point was that QBs are more valuable than WRs (an assumption we could argue). And if that assumption is true, A QB that has the potential to develop into a starter is more valuable to protect than a WR who has the potential to develop into a starter. With rookies it's all about potential, because by definition they have no production at the pro level at this point in the season. Last year the Packers drafted 3 running backs and hit on two. 66.6% success rate is pretty good! This year they drafted 3 WRs. If they hit on 2 of the 3, I would very be happy with that again! However, after 3 more preseason games, if the 3 rookie WRs show more potential than Boyle, I would have no problem trying to stash Boyle on the PS (I doubt it would work though, because someone will grab him if he shows any potential) and keeping all three WR rookies. 

What was your rationale for keeping Kumerow over Bell?

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Kumerow pro day 

ates: 03/11/15@Wisconsin 
Height: 6044
Weight: 209
40 Yrd Dash: 4.54
20 Yrd Dash: 2.60
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump: 09'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.26
3-Cone Drill: 6.90

Thanks.  So 40 is better than Moore, a little slower then EQ, all of his other numbers are a little worse than Moore.  

Doesn't seem like the speed is "a guy who is going to just run by someone on a 'go' route. "  But that isn't true for Moore or EQ either, or allison or adams or Cobb, and hadn't been for Jordy for years, if ever.  

Only guy with THAT kind of speed is MVS.  Which could be fun!  :)  (Well, and of course Janis!)

3 minutes ago, craig said:

Thanks.  So 40 is better than Moore, a little slower then EQ, all of his other numbers are a little worse than Moore.  

Doesn't seem like the speed is "a guy who is going to just run by someone on a 'go' route. "  But that isn't true for Moore or EQ either, or allison or adams or Cobb, and hadn't been for Jordy for years, if ever.  

Only guy with THAT kind of speed is MVS.  Which could be fun!  :)  (Well, and of course Janis!)

I think, like Jordy, Kumerow has enough technical skill to get open on some of those go routes. We saw it last night. I also think he has more YAC potential than people are giving him credit it for. He accelerates well, and he's a bullish, big body guy.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Kumerow pro day 

ates: 03/11/15@Wisconsin 
Height: 6044
Weight: 209
40 Yrd Dash: 4.54
20 Yrd Dash: 2.60
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump: 09'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.26
3-Cone Drill: 6.90

Interesting, but remember those numbers are three years old. Kumerow's body has matured and developed over the last three years. I was in my physical prime when I was 26. Some of those numbers probably look better now. 

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

Kumerow got open a lot versus Tennessee. Early on, there was one where Hundley missed him badly. Later, he made a nice outside-inside move on a reception, drew a penalty on a slant and go, and then of course there was the 52-yard touchdown. I think he's actually quite fast and has some YAC ability. And he's big. So physically, he passes the test for me. 

As to whether he can get any better, I think reps playing with Aaron Rodgers will make anyone better.

I  agree.  He's being made out to be a possession WR in the mold of Allison when reality is he's an entirely different caliber of athlete who has more upside.  If it weren't for his age, he'd be a virtual lock to make the roster. 

25 minutes ago, craig said:

FWIW, Moore ran a 4.48 at his pro day.

29 minutes ago, SSG said:

I  agree.  He's being made out to be a possession WR in the mold of Allison when reality is he's an entirely different caliber of athlete who has more upside.  If it weren't for his age, he'd be a virtual lock to make the roster. 

You need a receiver who does the underneath work. Kumerow seems to be perfect for that. I don't see the other rookies as doing that. Seems to be perfect to play the role of a Julian Edelman type receiver.

If Kumerow was an Edelman type player, the Patriots would've brought him in. I like the Nelson comparisons and feel they're a better comparison. If Kumerow keeps performing in camp and improves his performance during preseason games, we'll be sitting around wondering if we keep 7 WR's this year. MVS had a helluva night and ESB's performance was fairly solid as well. They drew up plays to take advantage of each of the three rookies' strengths and they delivered. Should be fun to watch moving forward.

On 8/10/2018 at 10:25 AM, Pugger said:

He wasn't a speed demon before his Achilles injury so he is really a liability now.  His chances of making the final roster are damn slim.

Well yeah, he was a technical player with enough recovery speed to make up for a slip in coverage. He was fine before that injury, but I'm disappointed in the fact that he's not working out at Safety. Someone else made a great observation in another thread in that Rollins was very good in coverage if the play unfolded in front of him. His instincts are good but his body is holding him back. I suspect he was drafted because Dom wanted to run more zone.

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

If Kumerow was an Edelman type player, the Patriots would've brought him in. I like the Nelson comparisons and feel they're a better comparison. If Kumerow keeps performing in camp and improves his performance during preseason games, we'll be sitting around wondering if we keep 7 WR's this year. MVS had a helluva night and ESB's performance was fairly solid as well. They drew up plays to take advantage of each of the three rookies' strengths and they delivered. Should be fun to watch moving forward.

Comparing Kumerow to Edelman is like comparing Percy harvin to Marvin Harrison. They're nothing alike other than one genetic factor.

Archived