2018 Most Surprising and Disappointing Players

theJ

Pretty simple topic.

Who do you think will be the most surprising and disappointing players on the squad this year?  Not just best and worst players, but in other words, who deviated most from expectations?  Both good and bad.

Josh Malone for the biggest surprise.  He's generalyy overlooked in the WR starting conversation.  But he has the best set of tools for the role.  Boiollings is my honorable mention.

For most disappointing, I have to think it will be either the backup QB (they both aren't good, and Barkley scares me in a non-intimidating way), if that player is already on the roster, Tyler Eifert if he gets injured and misses a bunch of time, or the "winner" at RT.  I hope that hart just needed a change in scenery.

Most surprising: Darqueze Dennard

I think we'll see him have a really good year manning the slot.  My bold prediction is that he plays well enough to spell Dre in base sets on the outside a good portion of the time.  

Most disappointing: Cordy Glenn

Somewhat hailed as the savior of the line, i don't think he'll be nearly that.  He'll be good, but not live up the billing and prior men manning that spot.  Whitworth has spoiled us for some time.

Honorable mentions:

I think Andy Dalton has a surprisingly good year.

I think Tyler Eifert surprises us and plays at least 8 games.  Whoa.

William Jackson doesn't conquer the world with full time snaps, but is still a top 5 NFL corner.  Just not with the otherworldly stats we saw from limited action last year.

Whoever plays RG and RT aren't as bad as expected...but we expect pretty bad so they still aren't good.

Carl Lawson takes his amazingness to new depths and we're surprised again.

Vontaze Burfict doesn't surprise any of us by lowering his helmet a few times and gets suspended.

2 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Josh Malone for the biggest surprise.  He's generalyy overlooked in the WR starting conversation.  But he has the best set of tools for the role.  Boiollings is my honorable mention.

The hype train has been loud enough for the WR's that i'm expecting a pretty good season from him.  600 yards, 6 TD's or so.  But i do think he'll surprise the casual fan.  Good pick.

Another good pick in Billings.  No one is really thinking about the starter opposite Atkins.  But he has the opportunity to impress.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Most surprising: Darqueze Dennard

I think we'll see him have a really good year manning the slot.  My bold prediction is that he plays well enough to spell Dre in base sets on the outside a good portion of the time.  

Most disappointing: Cordy Glenn

Somewhat hailed as the savior of the line, i don't think he'll be nearly that.  He'll be good, but not live up the billing and prior men manning that spot.  Whitworth has spoiled us for time.

Honorable mentions:

I think Andy Dalton has a surprisingly good year.

I think Tyler Eifert surprises us and plays at least 8 games.  Whoa.

William Jackson doesn't conquer the world with full time snaps, but is still a top 5 NFL corner.  Just not with the otherworldly stats we saw from limited action last year.

Whoever plays RG and RT aren't as bad as expected...but we expect pretty bad so they still aren't good.

Carl Lawson takes his amazingness to new depths and we're surprised again.

Vontaze Burfict doesn't surprise any of us by lowering his helmet a few times and gets suspended.

If Glenn is a disappointment, my blood pressure will destroy me before Christmas break.

I think Ross will disappoint stat wise. He’ll have a good game here and there but overall I think Bengals fans expect him to be a superstar

As for someone who is going to exceed expectations I will make a bold prediction. Tyler Boyd finishes with better stats than AJ Green this year. 

Most Surprising: CJ Uzomah

With everyone focusing on Eifert and Kroft, I think if we give Uzomah enough snaps he'll produce this season.  Talent is there.

Most Disappointing: Darqueze Dennard

With Pacman gone, he'll be on the field more.  I don't think he has the speed/hips to keep up with faster receivers.  With more 'elite' guys getting snaps in the slot, I could see them abusing Dennard.

Surprise offense: Tyler Boyd

Not sure how surprising this will be because he's looked great in camp thus far, but I think he's Dalton's second favorite target behind Green. I see him being the guy on third down to move the chains. 

Disappointment offense: Billy Price

I think this one comes down to Price or Glenn. Both are touted as saviors but I think one underachieves to solidify their position. I think Price struggles early and comes around late in the year. 

Surprise defense: Carl Lawson

We all know how good he is, but I think he'll surprise us just how good he will be. I think 10 sacks is his floor. He's going to have a huge year. Lot's of Lawson jerseys will surface at the end of this year and he will become the next franchise cornerstone ala Atkins, Dunlap.

Disappointment defense: Dre Kirkpatrick

Given his salary, He's going to disappoint. Teams are going to avoid WJIII and look to his side. He's always been inconsistent, but this year he'll teeter on being a liability though he'll never get benched.

Most surprising: I’ll go with the defense having a surge of turnovers this year and Iloka having a really good year. Either that or one of the D linemen besides Geno, Carlos, or Lawson making a leap this year.

For disappointing I will consider it a win as long as it’s not the O line. If they can just be slightly below average sign me up for a good year. If I had to pick a player Eifert and Dre might be too easy so I’ll go with Tez. 

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

As for someone who is going to exceed expectations I will make a bold prediction. Tyler Boyd finishes with better stats than AJ Green this year. 

That is bold.

I could see a scenario where he has more catches.  But i think he'll up somewhere around 10-12 YPC, and Green around 15.  That'll make a huge difference in yardage.

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Most Disappointing: Darqueze Dennard

With Pacman gone, he'll be on the field more.  I don't think he has the speed/hips to keep up with faster receivers.  With more 'elite' guys getting snaps in the slot, I could see them abusing Dennard.

Opposite opinions, interesting.

EDIT: also, it'll be interesting to see if the new system has WJIII following the #1 receiver around, or if they'll stick to sides like they have more traditionally.  May be that WJIII gets time in the slot, if say Antonio Brown lines up there.

23 minutes ago, theJ said:

Opposite opinions, interesting.

EDIT: also, it'll be interesting to see if the new system has WJIII following the #1 receiver around, or if they'll stick to sides like they have more traditionally.  May be that WJIII gets time in the slot, if say Antonio Brown lines up there.

Personally think we only have one good corner and that's WJIII.  Dre we all know is subpar.  Dennard is better than Dre, but I think he'll give up a decent amount of deep passes this season. I do think Dennard is Ok and corner is just a tough position to play in the NFL, but I'm not expecting him to be considered good.  The expectation is that our coverage will get better by getting rid of Pacman, WJIII playing more snaps, and Dennard playing more snaps.  In reality WJIII playing more helps but Pacman was the only other average to above average corner in coverage that we had (although I'm glad he's gone...for now)...

Archived