Hasbro Confirms Plans for a Theatrical Sequel to "Power Rangers" (2017)

Deadpulse

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

They changed all the other characters DRASTICALLY. None of them are recognizable physically or personality wise. 

Tommy/Green Ranger is arguably the most popular Power Ranger ever, and definitely my favorite.       

Yes, the other characters were changed drastically....but they made sense.    The physical appearance changes made sense because of the...ahem...questionable decisions made when the original series came out.    The personality changes made sense because, lets face it, the original characters were largely stereotypical cutouts of high school students in the 90s and werent really developed well.      

Bottom line, most of the changes to the original 5 were actually NECESSARY....and even if they change Tommy a bit, I wont mind....but there is only one reason why they would make Tommy a girl, and it has absolutely nothing to do with improving the movie or storytelling like the other changes.    And as  @Calvert28 noted, Tommy is far more popular than any of the original 5 (except for maybe Kimberly, but she was popular for another reason).

Brand new fans wont know or care, and thats fine, but the fact that they made the new movies revolve around the original Rangers and is geared towards and older audience proves they are trying to attract fans of the original series, and I promise you, they'll lose alot of those fans if they made this complete stupid and unnecessary change. 

• Like 2

I dont agree that any of the changes were necessary. I get what you are saying about them not being fleshed out in the 90s. However, I have been reading the Boom! comics run on the Rangers, which is two ongoings focusing on the original 5. They kept their 90s characters intact and yet still fleshed them out to make them more dynamic, interesting, and layered. To me, changing Tommy to a girl is within the same vein of making Trini gay. Neither were necessary, as you hitched your wagon to, and both would likely be for the same reason; diversity within the cast.  

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont agree that any of the changes were necessary. I get what you are saying about them not being fleshed out in the 90s. However, I have been reading the Boom! comics run on the Rangers, which is two ongoings focusing on the original 5. They kept their 90s characters intact and yet still fleshed them out to make them more dynamic, interesting, and layered. To me, changing Tommy to a girl is within the same vein of making Trini gay. Neither were necessary, as you hitched your wagon to, and both would likely be for the same reason; diversity within the cast.  

Yea and movies bomb when they try to do that crap. If they change it, it needs to be for a necessity. Trini was a tad bit annoying but overall ok. The best of the bunch I think was was Zack. I could have probably done without Billy.

But really I still think they should just change the story up a bit to bring in Jason Frank.

12 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I'm not saying every change was absolutely necessary, but many of them were. And how did we know that Trini wasn't gay on the show? Was that ever addressed? did she ever have a boyfriend on the show?

And beyond that, Tommy is a much much much more popular character than Trini ever was. I said it before and I'll say it again, you don't make a major change to a popular character unless there is a damn good reason. I'm all for diversity when it fits, but this FORCED diversity crap is not and never will be a good thing.

If you don't mind it, that's your prerogative and I respect that. If they make Tommy a girl, the little interest I have remaining in Power Rangers ends there. the only reason I am even remotely interested now is because I am curious to see how they do the Green Ranger... but making Tommy a girl would be an instant deal-breaker.

Edited by FourThreeMafia

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I remember when everyone bitched about Zendaya getting the MJ role in the new Spiderman. My take? Who gives a crap? It's a make believe character. They can (and will) do whatever they want with it.

Obviously they CAN do it, just like fans can just as easily decide not to like it. That's the beauty of artistic expression. 

7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

That would be such blatant fan service. Jason Frank isnt even a good actor, as much as my childhood adores him. 

Lol I would rather that then the blatant political crap. At least people can like Jason Frank taking them back to their childhood.

53 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Lol I would rather that then the blatant political crap. At least people can like Jason Frank taking them back to their childhood.

Political? If they make that change, its 100% in an effort to gain profits. 

I know we are talking a lot about it, but really the rumor of making Tommy female was more or less unsubstantiated at the time (way back in 2016) and now its downright nothing. The entire franchise has changed hands. Any rumored plans they may have had aren't Hasbro's. 

On 8/9/2018 at 3:05 PM, Deadpulse said:

Well yea... but Jada Pinkett Smith, Taraji Henson, Angela Bassett, or Danai Gurira? Hell yes. 

That would be just as abhorrent. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

If they actually go through with this unneeded change, I hope it flops, and it will, pandering to SJWs is bad for business and they're gonna learn that the hard way. Just ask Marvel how essentially giving Captain Marvel a sex change in the comics worked out for them (Carl Manvers):

HxDYrnp.jpg

The game Hyper Universe also got THOUSANDS of refunds after they caved. Get woke, go broke.

Edited by KManX89

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

This is nonsense. She's a man now because her hair is shorter?

And completely lacking curves. Tell me this doesn't look like a dude:

1517097901091.jpg

uSzXnYg.jpg

Another character/franchise ruined by PC cultist ideology. And as a surprise to no one, it flopped and was cancelled, caving to SJWs is financial suicide. Again, get woke, go broke. 

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 3