Gute is Ted Thompson: Packers sign James Crawford

MacReady

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/08/packers-sign-lb-james-crawford/

Crawford played in 27 games at the University of Illinois over the last three seasons and moved around the defense from a hybrid linebacker/safety role to one that called for him to rush the passer off the edge. He had four sacks in that role last season and recorded 80 tackles, 11 tackles for loss and four forced fumbles over his entire time in college.

A couple people here, I won't mention any names, have received a lot of heat for suggesting that Gute hasn't been all that dissimilar from Ted Thompson.  I think those people have been unfairly treated because people desperately want to believe that Gute is different from Ted Thompson. 

Ted Thompson loses veteran player, signs undrafted rookie free agent.
Gute loses veteran player, signs undrafted rookie free agent. 

Let's review:

Thompson's last season:
*Martellus Bennett.
*Lance Kendricks.
*Davon House.
*Jahri Evans.
*Ricky Jean-Francois
*Ahmad Brooks
*Quinton Dial

Gute's First Season:
*Jimmy Graham
*Marcedes Lewis
*Muhammed Wilkerson
*Tramon Williams
*Byron Bell

Is it or is it not fair to describe the two offseasons as follows:

Packers sign two veteran tight ends, one a lot better than the other, plus a veteran defensive lineman, a veteran corner who returns to the team and a veteran offensive lineman.

Gute is Thompson.  Mission Impossible style.

tumblr_inline_nskasaBjRD1shsvef_540.gif

Just now, Joe said:

camp body.

My title was misleading, I was actually trying to strike up conversation about whether or not Gute will be any different during the season than Thompson was.  We all know Crawford ain't gonna do a damn thing for us.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

We traded for a future pick, something Ted said he'd never do. 

Hypothesis squashed.

Yeah, I've admitted Gute is different in the draft.  So far he's proven that.  Otherwise... He's Ted. 

32 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Thompson's last season:
*Martellus Bennett.
*Lance Kendricks.
*Davon House.
*Jahri Evans.
*Ricky Jean-Francois
*Ahmad Brooks
*Quinton Dial

Wow, I had forgotten just how pathetic the previous GM's final offseason really was.

Bennett -- one of the worst FA singings in Packer history, damaged goods, and now out of football -- though still counting $4.2M against the cap this season.

Kendricks -- given every opportunity once Bennett quit and he stunk. Gute thought so much of him that Kendricks may remain in 18' as the 3rd TE.

House - not a bad signing or a bad 4th CB. Unfortunately, given the state of the roster, House was pressed into starting duty and well ...

Evans - best signing, 1 year plug & play. Not invited back. Not currently in the NFL.

RJF - hey, he got to play for a Super Bowl team in 17', too bad it was not the Pack.

Brooks - last-minute pickup when even the previous GM could no longer deny Fackrell's shortcomings and was not a capable 3rd OLBer. Contributed a whopping 1.5 sacks. Not currently in the NFL.

Dial - who?

If the "production" from Gute's offseason haul of NFL veterans rivals that of the sorry lot above, then perhaps comparisons with the previous GM might be warranted.

Until that time, in Gute I trust.

Archived