Gute is Ted Thompson: Packers sign James Crawford

MacReady

12 minutes ago, Norm said:

If you hated Ted, you think Gute is great.

If you didn't, you wonder if he's actually any better.

You can close the thread now

What if you love them both?

Ted's that grandpa who comes over for the holidays, tells you stories you don't really care about, says things that don't make sense but are funny and falls asleep any time he sits in a recliner.

Gute's the fun uncle that buys you lots of Nerf guns as a kid to shoot your parents with.

I want both around.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

What if you love them both?

Ted's that grandpa who comes over for the holidays, tells you stories you don't really care about, says things that don't make sense but are funny and falls asleep any time he sits in a recliner.

Gute's the fun uncle that buys you lots of Nerf guns as a kid to shoot your parents with.

I want both around.

Me too. I don't mind this analogy even lol. But I think because Ted was so adverse to FA toothache somehow it was automatic Gute was going to be this crazy wild card just playing Russian roulette with money and picks. Then he traded back and for future stuff. Free agency was good but not crazy by any means, maybe they intended it to and couldn't get it done though.

Have to say, it's been pretty disappointing since the draft considering the holes at some of our positions, notably WR, OLB, ILB, T and S. Wish we would embrace the Patriots' way of doing business which is to bring in vets and let them compete against young guys instead of just relying exclusively on young guys and signing even worse young guys, like Crawford and Judd for example, just to be a camp body. Titans just did the same thing by signing Vaccaro when Cyprien went down. They didn't screw around with some rookie and pray for good returns, they plugged the hole, and the Titans aren't even a SB-aspiring team so it makes even less sense for them to make a move like that than us. Eagles just did the same thing by adding a vet like Graham who was a key veteran backup at safety for them last year. Still hope we make a move to actually replace Ryan because the "next man up" nonsense of just plugging in a square-peg like Burks into Ryan's spot is a completely unnecessary risk.

18 minutes ago, Norm said:

If you hated Ted, you think Gute is great.

If you didn't, you wonder if he's actually any better.

You can close the thread now

I hated Ted and think Gute is doing okay. Doesn't help Gute that he inherited some bad contracts and didn't have $50 million to spend. Where he needs to improve is not with big additions or splash adds, but shoring up holes on the roster brought upon by injury or for depth purposes. 

25 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Why is everyone assuming we're done signing vets? Dial and Brooks both signed last September. I fully expect another vet or two to be brought in to fill whatever holes remain after the TC/preseason assessments are over. 

Signing vets late doesn't count. Didn't last year anyways. It's even said in this thread.

I always wonder why people got so irritated about the UDFA's TT signed to fill holes. Were the likes of Dial, RJF, House, Kendricks, Brooks, etc. any more successful than UDFAs would have been? I'm not sure about that...and at least had we kept/played UDFAs instead of the aforementioned "name" guys we signed, we might have uncovered a gem or two,  or at the very least, have given some young guys game experience that could help us this season and beyond.

Just now, BlondeonBlonde said:

I always wonder why people got so irritated about the UDFA's TT signed to fill holes. Were the likes of Dial, RJF, House, Kendricks, Brooks, etc. any more successful than UDFAs would have been? I'm not sure about that...and at least had we kept/played UDFAs instead of the aforementioned "name" guys we signed, we might have uncovered a gem or two,  or at the very least, have given some young guys game experience that could help us this season and beyond.

I suppose the counter to this is how many of those guys went and did anything anywhere else?

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Have to say, it's been pretty disappointing since the draft considering the holes at some of our positions, notably WR, OLB, ILB, T and S. Wish we would embrace the Patriots' way of doing business which is to bring in vets and let them compete against young guys instead of just relying exclusively on young guys and signing even worse young guys, like Crawford and Judd for example, just to be a camp body. Titans just did the same thing by signing Vaccaro when Cyprien went down. They didn't screw around with some rookie and pray for good returns, they plugged the hole, and the Titans aren't even a SB-aspiring team so it makes even less sense for them to make a move like that than us. Eagles just did the same thing by adding a vet like Graham who was a key veteran backup at safety for them last year. Still hope we make a move to actually replace Ryan because the "next man up" nonsense of just plugging in a square-peg like Burks into Ryan's spot is a completely unnecessary risk.

28 other teams fan bases say the same thing. The fact is that you can't just replicate what another team does and how. Clearly BB is the best at doing things the way they have. Many teams have taken their GM's and football guys and coaches hoping to catch fire in a bottle and it hasn't worked out. enjoy our way and our success. Green Bay will never operate the way other teams with owners do. Simple math shows that this is the best way to keep the Pack around for years to come. They/We are competitive year after year. Sure it's due to great QB play so lets hope and pray that if they continue to operate in this manner we can find a 3rd QC after AR is done.

Both TT and Gute have forayed into the FA market and TT had some success and was burned. But for the most part TT decided likely along with the board ( his bosses ) to continue in the manner in which provides them the best opportunity to be successful day and in and day out both with winning and with finances.

I only hope we can continue on this as just like in 2010 the best team doesn't win every year sometimes the hottest team does:)

29 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Just because it's a way to react. Some are ok with it some aren't and some are indifferent. There are no right or wrong ways to do it. Just ways and most people get that but can't react with it. Fact is that without facts and folks going and digging up all the info to see what is better it's just opinion based. Everyone points to the Pats which is both good and bad. Often their FA signings aren't that great but they sign them and win so  was it the signing of the FA or were they going to win already anyway due to superior coaching and some super luck?

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I've admitted Gute is different in the draft.  So far he's proven that.  Otherwise... He's Ted. 

By these definitions, then aren't all GMs - Ted?

They all sign some veterans and sign some young guys... it's basically all GMs do outside the draft.

A few GMs like the Cowboys are also blowhards, but that's because their GM is also their main owner... and generally known as a blowhard in general.

Archived