Jump to content
Outpost31

Gute is Ted Thompson: Packers sign James Crawford

Recommended Posts

There are only so many non replaceable players in the league right now worth paying.

 

The guys who are FAs right now aren't plus athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beast said:

By these definitions, then aren't all GMs - Ted?

They all sign some veterans and sign some young guys... it's basically all GMs do outside the draft.

 

A few GMs like the Cowboys are also blowhards, but that's because their GM is also their main owner... and generally known as a blowhard in general.

The first part is kind of the point, isn't it?

I guarantee there was perception that a different GM would have replaced Ryan work a veteran, but Ted only likes udfas like this guy. But when Gute does it, nobody notices or cares. And just goes, he has a plan!!! Okay fine. I believe in him too. I'm just annoyed the same moves could have been made by the last guy and screamed at, but this one gets a pass on everything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Norm said:

The first part is kind of the point, isn't it?

I guarantee there was perception that a different GM would have replaced Ryan work a veteran, but Ted only likes udfas like this guy. But when Gute does it, nobody notices or cares. And just goes, he has a plan!!! Okay fine. I believe in him too. I'm just annoyed the same moves could have been made by the last guy and screamed at, but this one gets a pass on everything...

LOL, we're both annoyed because the GMs are doing similar stuff, with different reactions, but we're annoyed for the opposite reasons.

You're annoyed because they're not both being screamed at, I'm annoyed because both weren't given a pass. I'm just not sure automatically filling with a vet is the answer. 32 teams have passed on those vets. Plus, I sorta thought Josh Jones might be the future at starting ILB and looked like I'm wrong... which is why I was sorta hoping for the better of SS Eric Reed and FS Kenny Vaccaro, but looks like the Titans got first dibs on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beast said:

LOL, we're both annoyed because the GMs are doing similar stuff, with different reactions, but we're annoyed for the opposite reasons.

You're annoyed because they're not both being screamed at, I'm annoyed because both weren't given a pass. I'm just not sure automatically filling with a vet is the answer. 32 teams have passed on those vets. Plus, I sorta thought Josh Jones might be the future at starting ILB and looked like I'm wrong... which is why I was sorta hoping for the better of SS Eric Reed and FS Kenny Vaccaro, but looks like the Titans got first dibs on that.

No no. I'm annoyed they both weren't given a pass. I'm annoyed Ted was treated like the dumbest cheapest GM in the NFL. I don't want Gute yelled at. I'm making a statement that how Ted was treated was horse ****. And what's happening now is proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm already on record stating I didn't want Gute to sign an ILB.  

Its just kinda ironic to me that the people who were arguing we SHOULD sign one are all in the pro-Gute category, and they're all defending Gute here.

If Thompson signed Crawford, everybody loses their mind with Thompson hate.  That's a fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I'm already on record stating I didn't want Gute to sign an ILB.  

Its just kinda ironic to me that the people who were arguing we SHOULD sign one are all in the pro-Gute category, and they're all defending Gute here.

If Thompson signed Crawford, everybody loses their mind with Thompson hate.  That's a fact.

For the record, count me as not a fan of the move by Gute. It only makes sense if Gute is simply buying time to wait for more vets to get cut and chum the waters for an add or two. We know what Ted was about year after year. I'm still holding out hope through the preseason that Gute isnt Ted.

Edited by packfanfb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

For the record, count me as not a fan of the move by Gute. It only makes sense if Gute is simply buying time to wait for more vets to get cut and chum the waters for an add or two. We know what Ted was about year after year. I'm still holding out hope through the preseason that Gute isnt Ted.

I dont see this whole "Is Gute different than Ted?" thing. Ted's book is closed. He did things his way. Gute's on the first chapter of his. He'll do things his way.
Will they differ like day differs night? No - and I dont expect them to - as they both work for the same organization. Its a non issue IMO. 
I'll consider Gutes moves on their own.

Edited by Leader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If Thompson signed Crawford, everybody loses their mind with Thompson hate.  That's a fact.

Not me. Why would anybody be angry about this signing, no matter who the GM is? It's pretty late to find a big-name player, if that's what you're getting at. 

I agree that Gutekunst's first year has not been all that different from Thompson's last year, but remember that Thompson's last year was not typical for him. Also, Gutekunst made more serious plays for big-name free agents than Thompson had in a long time, even if Jimmy Graham was the only one he actually signed. At this point the jury is still out, because what really matters is how good the team is in the coming years. It's natural to give the new guy the benefit of the doubt until we see how it plays out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm studying with the foremost Adam Smith scholar right now. I have slightly different takes on some things, but on the whole how much different could I possibly be? 

Its like I'm my own person, and I try to be honest to the subject matter but my mentor is definitely influential. 

WTF do you expect from Gute? He's Ted's disciple, and Ted was highly successful, he's just gonna be like, I'm ignoring everything because he only won one SB and missed the playoffs 2 out of how ever many years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Greg C., it's not that they'd be upset about signing Crawford.  They'd be upset if he ONLY signed Crawford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read this dude is Charles Woodson's nephew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I've admitted Gute is different in the draft.  So far he's proven that.  Otherwise... He's Ted. 

Why because he didn't go out and make a fool of himself in free agency like so many teams do year after year. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question isn't whether one year of Gute's GMing will be like one year of Thompson's GMing. The question is whether Gute's GMing on the whole will be significantly different from Ted's GMing on the whole. The argument here is that Gute's only offseason so far looks a lot like Ted's most active offseason. The best argument that the data really supports is that we can't tell the signal from the noise with Gute's sample size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What if you love them both?

Ted's that grandpa who comes over for the holidays, tells you stories you don't really care about, says things that don't make sense but are funny and falls asleep any time he sits in a recliner.

Gute's the fun uncle that buys you lots of Nerf guns as a kid to shoot your parents with.

I want both around.

I mean, he is his father's son...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We're saving that money for Mack. One big final middle finger from Gute to everyone who thinks he's Ted (and those who supported www.firegute.com.)

I'll cancel my subscription if Mack ends up in green and gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×