Gute is Ted Thompson: Packers sign James Crawford

MacReady

21 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What if you love them both?

Ted's that grandpa who comes over for the holidays, tells you stories you don't really care about, says things that don't make sense but are funny and falls asleep any time he sits in a recliner.

Gute's the fun uncle that buys you lots of Nerf guns as a kid to shoot your parents with.

I want both around.

49.jpg

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think that this preseason game will tell us quite a bit about how weak the ILB position really is.  If it is dire, add more to the position.  If it is competent or better, roll with the young, cheap guys until they fail.  

but James Crawford will fix all that LOL....

In all seriousness, I think tonight's game will show us how those ILB's will be used. Perhaps Pettine will make adjustments by sticking more DB's or an extra DL in place of an ILB. Who knows.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:40 AM, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I've admitted Gute is different in the draft.  So far he's proven that.  Otherwise... He's Ted. 

Yeah, that swap of Randall for Kizer resembles so many of the player trades the Pack's former GM made over the past decade.

It's almost like he never left.

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Yeah, that swap of Randall for Kizer resembles so many of the player trades the Pack's former GM made over the past decade.

It's almost like he never left.

I remember all those times you used to say, "Why doesn't Thom Thedsen trade starters for backup quarterbacks more often?" 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I remember all those times you used to say, "Why doesn't Thom Thedsen trade starters for backup quarterbacks more often?" 

Exactly.. He would have hated that trade 5x more than he did now.

Then again maybe Kizer is a playmakerzzzz

8 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Yep.

Always wondered why the last GM refused to make trades involving players like the other 31 NFL GMs ... and Gute!!!

I think that's nonsense... some GMs/teams make a lot of trades and some don't... just we obsessed about our GM and watch him closer, but there are other GMs like him that are more conservative and upset fans that want lots of moves.  Also Thompson was in there longer than most GMs, most GMs making all these moves are newer or the aggressive GMs.

When Thompson was new, he made more moves releasing people because they were in cap trouble, got rid of a number of players and tried to bring some people in.

But when GMs think they got a good deal, they pull the trigger, when they don't think they got a good deal, they don't.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

AVFv.gif

Trading for a two year veteran who started 15 games for another team at a position we lacked depth at has effectively busted the title of this thread.

We're winning the Super Bowl this year.  Not even joking. 

Here is the really mind blowing part, Gute may not even be done making trades.

For example, just looking at the CB position, Pipkins may have been CB 8 or 9 on the current roster behind Tramon, King, JJ, Alexander, House and possibly one or more from the quartet of Goodson, Waters, Rollins, and Hawkins.

There are a number of CB needy teams that might be interested in a Waters or a Hawkins.

Whether Morrison busts or not, given that Pipkins was a likely cut anyway, it is just awesome to see that Gute is willing to go the trade route to improve the roster.

Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Whether Morrison busts or not, given that Pipkins was a likely cut anyway, it is just awesome to see that Gute is willing to go the trade route to improve the roster.

On Thompson not making enough replacement moves or in-season moves, I agree with you.  I still think you're wildly unrealistic about everything else with Ted Thompson, so I'm not thrilled I agree with you right now. 

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

AVFv.gif

Trading for a two year veteran who started 15 games for another team at a position we lacked depth at has effectively busted the title of this thread.

We're winning the Super Bowl this year.  Not even joking. 

Just wait for the Khalil Mack trade, mega contract extension. That mustard will either be your brain or your shorts, not sure.

Archived