Preseason GDT game 1 - The Amazing Dallas Defense vs. SF

DaBoys

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How did Jihad Ward do last night? Did he get much playing time? Things obviously didn't work out well for him in Oakland but I hope to see him do well. His story is crazy.

Fwiw Switzer is looking very good for us. He will likely be our #4 WR (behind Cooper, Nelson and Bryant) but could be a key piece on 3rd down. 

I liked Switz. Was upset we let him go for Ward, but apparently Marinelli coached Ward at the senior bowl and really liked him.

Our whole defense was pretty stout last night as a unit. I remember Ward being active. I think he got called for a neutral zone infraction and he registered 2 tackles in limited action.

I thought the biggest surprise positive takeaway was Antwaun Woods. We probably have the worst NT situation in the league, so it's not saying much, but kudos to him for working his way up from 4th string to 1st string in a matter of weeks. He looked good out there early on.

Is his play sustainable? Idk, there's always preseason superstars. But the defense looked ready to go despite the lack of Lee, Irving, Collins, Gregory, and Thomasso there's reason to be excited there.

edit: oh and Jaylon. Ooohwee. What a story it'd be if he still looks like that a thousand or so defensive snaps from now

Didnt get to watch the game but heard a lot of good things about Jaylon.

Last year there was a lot of talk that he was well below average and would need a lot of work just to become adequate.

Does anyone think he is at that point or surpassed it?

4 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Last year there was a lot of talk that he was well below average and would need a lot of work just to become adequate.

Very limited action. But he looks big and fast. The reports from camp have been great. When he was taken out of the game the 49ers had negative rushing yards and he had a TFL.

22 hours ago, CAPJ said:

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F0ap3000000946794%2FEvery-throw-by-Jimmy-Garoppolo-Preseason-Week-1

If you watch at the 1:09 mark you'll see Jaylon Smith carry George Kittle down the seam about 30 yards. Jimmy G wants to get him the ball but can't put it where he wants it because Smith is right there in his pocket. Jimmy G tries to fit the ball over him but it's to difficult to fit and the ball sails. That was a big 3rd down. Most chalk it up to a bad pass but that's a pass Jimmy G can make in his sleep. The sailed pass is 100% because of Smith's coverage, and the defense got off the field.

I was happy with Jaylon and more importantly our 1st and 2nd team front seven very impressive in both getting sustained pressure but staying in their lanes and not getting beat outside.   I was less then happy with our secondary their recievers had a lot if separation were open a lot even as the QB really had little time to throw.   And yes Jaylon was moving very well from side to side with good change of direction in getting up field.  Still have to wait Tell we play a better running team then the 49ers to get a clear picture.  But sense they seem to be dominating in practice against our OL and running game should say somerhing

43 minutes ago, quiller said:

I was happy with Jaylon and more importantly our 1st and 2nd team front seven very impressive in both getting sustained pressure but staying in their lanes and not getting beat outside.   I was less then happy with our secondary their recievers had a lot if separation were open a lot even as the QB really had little time to throw.   And yes Jaylon was moving very well from side to side with good change of direction in getting up field.  Still have to wait Tell we play a better running team then the 49ers to get a clear picture.  But sense they seem to be dominating in practice against our OL and running game should say somerhing

And now Sean Lee is practicing, and looked in mid season form. We did all that without him. Surely he makes us better.

I agree Lee makes us way better but I really want the frt 7 to learn how to play a attacking and confident game without Lee so it can be more consistent when Lee misses the expected 3-4 games.   That will make it dominate when Lee plays and alloe Lee to take more plays off to hopefully keep him from breaking down.  

People were too hard on LVE. He is basically being asked to be Lee in a year or so. I think the staff training him at all 3 positions has overwhelmed him a little. Not to mention in college his playing weight was around 225-230 and hes at like 250 or almost 260 or something. Hes doing a lot. 

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

People were too hard on LVE. He is basically being asked to be Lee in a year or so. I think the staff training him at all 3 positions has overwhelmed him a little. Not to mention in college his playing weight was around 225-230 and hes at like 250 or almost 260 or something. Hes doing a lot. 

I thought he was 254 in college? And I agree we should exercise patience with him. He did lead the team in tackles that game, but maybe due to playing time mostly.  

I WILL say that Sean Lee looked 10x better in his first ever preseason game fwiw. But there are several tiers of "good LB" that aren't as good as Lee. Not every good LB is going to as good as Lee.

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I thought he was 254 in college? And I agree we should exercise patience with him. He did lead the team in tackles that game, but maybe due to playing time mostly.  

I WILL say that Sean Lee looked 10x better in his first ever preseason game fwiw. But there are several tiers of "good LB" that aren't as good as Lee. Not every good LB is going to as good as Lee.

Sean Lee was a better prospect; more polished, more experienced, more toughness, higher football IQ.

So I agree. LVE has a high ceiling, but I'd question anybody who thought he was as ready for the NFL as Sean Lee was .

Don’t get me wrong I am a huge BSU football fan   But there is no denying I would think that playing in the big ten as a Top flight LB will prepare you better for playing in the NFL then at BSU who play in more of a finesse league. 

12 hours ago, quiller said:

Don’t get me wrong I am a huge BSU football fan   But there is no denying I would think that playing in the big ten as a Top flight LB will prepare you better for playing in the NFL then at BSU who play in more of a finesse league. 

Really there is no best conference anymore in terms of preparation for prospects. So many colleges that run the spread or versions of it. Prospects will generally be a step or two behind.

Archived