Khalil Mack

ekill08x

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It also should be noted that we made a very strong offer for Mack (being reported). So it’s not like we say that and did nothing. I expect us to try and get Fowler though now.

Reports don't tell whole story.

Raiders reportedly had 2 1st round picks and more pick(s) on the table.  If Jets made the offer after that then there was no contest for Jets.  Hey, at least Jets tried instead of playing yo yo ****. lol.

Yea two first plus is too rich. Glad we passed. Macc knows we need to pass rusher though. So this is not the end of us trying to get one. Fowler up next if the price is right. 

Whatll y’all think Fowler is worth? I’m thinking the NOLA 3rd or a 4th.

Just now, SDotNova said:

Yea two first plus is too rich. Glad we passed. Macc knows we need to pass rusher though. So this is not the end of us trying to get one. Fowler up next if the price is right. 

Whatll y’all think Fowler is worth? I’m thinking the NOLA 3rd.

What if it was 2 3rds?

I know right from the start, it was a long shot trying to Mack, just like when we wasted so much time talking about Kirk Cousins. With the holes we have on the O LIne, and a desperate for a pass rusher, with all the money we have for FA's and a first round pick we should be OK. With our current roster there was no way we could give up two first round picks. We gave up two second round picks to get Darnold, but is was well worth it, we got our QB of the furture. The only bad thing that could happen is Darnold get hurt and Mc Cown, takes over this year. Mac is hard to figure one week I love him, and the next week I want to kill him, there is no way you know what Mac is going to do till he makes the move good or bad. 

28 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I'm fine by not getting Mack. Like a lot of you said we are playing for the next 2-4 years and tying all that money and losing 2 first round picks for one guy is just too much in my eyes. 

I think in the long run you are right. Giving up two first round picks for a team like the current Jets, could only hurt us we don't have the talent to give up two first round picks.

10 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I think in the long run you are right. Giving up two first round picks for a team like the current Jets, could only hurt us we don't have the talent to give up two first round picks.

Maybe.   If Jets actually gave up 2 1sts and gave fat contract to Mack then Macc would have to do his best to collect better talents via FA for 4 years in row.  It doesn't make any sense if Macc stayed chicken after acquiring Mack.

I think the price was just high enough that I would have been fine with us making the deal, or not.

After waiting for a pass rush since John Abraham, it's hard not to have wanted us to get Mack at just about any cost. If we're going to keep our firsts though, can we please draft a top edge rusher soon? Gholston sucked beyond belief, but let's not give up permanently because of that.

10 minutes ago, TheChad said:

I think the price was just high enough that I would have been fine with us making the deal, or not.

After waiting for a pass rush since John Abraham, it's hard not to have wanted us to get Mack at just about any cost. If we're going to keep our firsts though, can we please draft a top edge rusher soon? Gholston sucked beyond belief, but let's not give up permanently because of that.

This is mostly our GMs fault. We’ve drafted Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson and Williams all since Gholston who all play the same position. And that’s not an edge rusher. 

39 minutes ago, TheChad said:

I remember being very upset when we traded Big John and thinking it may take years for us to replace him.  Did not think we still would be looking for his replacement in 2018 though. 

IMO there are 4 positions on a football team that are difficult to find studs and when you find one, you need to keep him and pay him.  Those positions are QB, LT, Edge Rusher and Shut Down Corner.  Those, to me, are the key positions for a winning football team.

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This is mostly our GMs fault. We’ve drafted Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson and Williams all since Gholston who all play the same position. And that’s not an edge rusher. 

In all fairness, with the exception of Coples, MO, Richardson and Williams were good players for us and good picks. when you look back at.

With hindsight, who you taking over those guys that fit the Edge mold, where available at the same spot and had a better run then Mo, Richardson or Williams?

1. Mo went 30th in 2011 - no edges drafted in 1st after him and the impact edge after him was 3rd rounder Justin Houston.  Hard to argue with the Mo pick as at the time we had an aging DL. 

2. Richardson went 13 in 2013 - only solid "edge type rusher" in the 1st round was Ansah and he went @ 5 overall.  The only player that fit that bill picked after Richardson was Werner and I am sure you would not make that switch.

3. Williams went 6 in 2015 - Fowler went 3 and I think we can agree Williams is a better (different) player overall.  Vic Beasley and Shane Ray were picked in the 1st after Leo. Can make a case for Beasley but he tailed off sharply last year after a great 2016 season.  

I will add I am 100% with you on Coples.  Bad pick.  Should have taken Chandler Jones.  Could have taken Hightower, Perry or Smith given Rex's love for D 1st rounders.  Decastro should have been considered over him as well. 

Archived