Khalil Mack

ekill08x

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I have us at 6-7 wins so that likely puts us in the 8-13 range like you said.  The OT class looks to have 3 first round prospects which is nice for us since LT is a major need.

Much rather draft a LT and go all in on Lawrence from DAL then trade multiple high end assets for Mack (as much as I'd love to have him.

Just by adding a stud LT and OG to our line and adding a rusher like Lawrence we could be serious playoff contenders assuming Darnold progresses.  We aren't that far off and with our cap space we should be playoff contenders next year.

Agreed. What we have to show this season is promise. So we can attract FA. This has been an issue for us. We have the cap space and make good offers but the player has no desire to come here bc there’s no optimism. Hopefully Darnold shows franchise QB potential to attract FAs and our defense looks legit outside of edge rusher to attract one.

I'm all for a Khalil Mack trade, but knowing how much Macc values high draft picks I really doubt he'll mortgage future firsts for him. 

What I still see being the likeliest scenario is a trade for Dante Fowler. His career has not gone according to plan in Jacksonville. They have tremendous depth at the position (he's a backup and only path to a starting spot is injury), will be a FA this offseason (team option was declined), and has had some OTF issues to date, and was not a Tom Coughlin draft pick. The Jets are extremely thin at the position and it wasn't too long ago when Maccagnan had Fowler rated as his 3rd best player in the 2015 draft. He's taken fliers on troubled players before, so why wouldn't he take another on a guy like Fowler who would be the Jets top EDGE presence immediately?

This deal just seems destined to happen, but the question is whether the Jets will trade picks or Teddy Bridgewater for him. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm all for a Khalil Mack trade, but knowing how much Macc values high draft picks I really doubt he'll mortgage future firsts for him. 

What I still see being the likeliest scenario is a trade for Dante Fowler. His career has not gone according to plan in Jacksonville. They have tremendous depth at the position (he's a backup and only path to a starting spot is injury), will be a FA this offseason (team option was declined), and has had some OTF issues to date, and was not a Tom Coughlin draft pick. The Jets are extremely thin at the position and it wasn't too long ago when Maccagnan had Fowler rated as his 3rd best player in the 2015 draft. He's taken fliers on troubled players before, so why wouldn't he take another on a guy like Fowler who would be the Jets top EDGE presence immediately?

This deal just seems destined to happen, but the question is whether the Jets will trade picks or Teddy Bridgewater for him. 

Really makes a ton of sense for us. Plus we’d get a 1yr trial with him to see if we want to extend him long term or not.

Id rather trade Teddy for O line help than Dante Fowler. Guy plays poorly on an elite defense and just got suspended for fighting with a teammate. Cant keep preaching culture and work ethic here and bring in dumbasses. Hard pass on Fowler. 

On 8/15/2018 at 4:17 PM, ekill08x said:

Id rather trade Teddy for O line help than Dante Fowler. Guy plays poorly on an elite defense and just got suspended for fighting with a teammate. Cant keep preaching culture and work ethic here and bring in dumbasses. Hard pass on Fowler. 

Don't get me wrong I would too, but not sure there are many teams looking to trade offensive lineman with talent. The position is scarce league-wide

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. What we have to show this season is promise. So we can attract FA. This has been an issue for us. We have the cap space and make good offers but the player has no desire to come here bc there’s no optimism. Hopefully Darnold shows franchise QB potential to attract FAs and our defense looks legit outside of edge rusher to attract one.

Maybe I am wrong again, but I think the Jets have show more promise than in the past five years. The only thing that could pull us down is the Offensive line. Whether it is Bridgewater or Darnold, to start the season, either one will be under intense pressure all game long. Powell was hit every time he carried the ball against Washington in his own backfield. Our defensive will be OK this year, our offensive has good receivers now, plus we have good runners at running back, but the offensive line is our ACHILLES HEAL.

On 8/14/2018 at 8:22 AM, jetskid007 said:

I agree on the jets not trading a 1st for Mack as they gave up the 2nd round picks to move up for Darnold. I don't see the Jaguars moving on from Fowler as he had 10 sacks last year which was his best season unless the Jets give up Bridgewater and a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him even then I could see the jags turning that down. 

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I agree on the jets not trading a 1st for Mack as they gave up the 2nd round picks to move up for Darnold. I don't see the Jaguars moving on from Fowler as he had 10 sacks last year which was his best season unless the Jets give up Bridgewater and a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him even then I could see the jags turning that down. 

Fowler doesn’t start for them and they didn’t pick up his 5th year option. Add that he’s unhappy there... their return on him won’t be much. Jets giving Teddy for him is is actually us giving them too much. Shouldn’t cost much more than a 3rd or 4th to get Fowler. He’s a pending FA that doesn’t start, has an injury past along with off the field issues. It’s a risk the jets can afford.

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Fowler doesn’t start for them and they didn’t pick up his 5th year option. Add that he’s unhappy there... their return on him won’t be much. Jets giving Teddy for him is is actually us giving them too much. Shouldn’t cost much more than a 3rd or 4th to get Fowler. He’s a pending FA that doesn’t start, has an injury past along with off the field issues. It’s a risk the jets can afford.

Coming off the bench or constant rotation still got him 10 sacks last year, they didnt take the 5th year option because of his injury history which many teams do. Whether he is happy or not it hasnt been something publicly said by him or the team that is just media assuming he is unhappy. They can always tag fowler next year if they wanted and then trade him or transition tag which could apply a 1st or 2nd rd pick on him. Giving up a guy who is capable of getting double digit sacks and not playing every snap is pretty impressive for a guy who will sit the bench for one year and will likely move on from jax doesn't make sense. Ian Rapoport made the comments yesterday that the market is small for him and likely drawing a 3rd day pick as of right now and the jets best chance is hold on to him and hope a starting qb goes down in order for them to get better compensation then that but as of right now every team has their starter locked in and will not give up any significant pieces for a guy who will likely play back up for one year before moving on. His off field issue consisted in arguing with a person at a grocery store and throwing his groceries outside of that he hasnt had any issues that were made public which happened last May and he is suspended 1 game for that. 

59 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Coming off the bench or constant rotation still got him 10 sacks last year, they didnt take the 5th year option because of his injury history which many teams do. Whether he is happy or not it hasnt been something publicly said by him or the team that is just media assuming he is unhappy. They can always tag fowler next year if they wanted and then trade him or transition tag which could apply a 1st or 2nd rd pick on him. Giving up a guy who is capable of getting double digit sacks and not playing every snap is pretty impressive for a guy who will sit the bench for one year and will likely move on from jax doesn't make sense. Ian Rapoport made the comments yesterday that the market is small for him and likely drawing a 3rd day pick as of right now and the jets best chance is hold on to him and hope a starting qb goes down in order for them to get better compensation then that but as of right now every team has their starter locked in and will not give up any significant pieces for a guy who will likely play back up for one year before moving on. His off field issue consisted in arguing with a person at a grocery store and throwing his groceries outside of that he hasnt had any issues that were made public which happened last May and he is suspended 1 game for that. 

They won’t tag a backup. A tag for an edge costs 17mill. They can’t afford to pay a backup 17mill. There’s no guarantee of trading him, especially with a price tag attached to him. Fact is Jacksonville doesn’t need him. So to use 17mill on him doesn’t make sense, when they have other key players who start they need to lock up long term.

Yeah there not tagging Fowler especially with the amount of money they’ve already invested into their defense. Would love to nab him, especially in a Bridgewater based trade, but I still doubt it happens

My only issue with Fowler is he currently plays left defensive end in a 4-3 defense behind Ngakoue. We would ask him to play on the opposite side in an upright position in a 3-4 defense. Hopefully, he does not need the entire season just to adjust to the new scheme, because it could be a wasted year just before he hits free agency. For that reason, I would not trade Bridgewater for him. Heck, barring a first rounder or as part of a package for Khalil Mack I would not want to trade Bridgewater at all.

But there is another thread for that topic. :)

3 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

My only issue with Fowler is he currently plays left defensive end in a 4-3 defense behind Ngakoue. We would ask him to play on the opposite side in an upright position in a 3-4 defense. Hopefully, he does not need the entire season just to adjust to the new scheme, because it could be a wasted year just before he hits free agency. For that reason, I would not trade Bridgewater for him. Heck, barring a first rounder or as part of a package for Khalil Mack I would not want to trade Bridgewater at all.

But there is another thread for that topic. :)

He’s athletic enough to make the transition and played a Hybrid role in Florida so it’s no biggie it’s not like we would be asking a 6’6” 285lb pure-DE to switch to 34OLB

Archived