Return of the GDT - 49ers vs Bovine ladies (pre season week 1)

Forge

9 hours ago, N4L said:

Jimmy ward looked terrible. Why did he change his number? Was it so that people wouldn't know it was him who was giving up big plays? He didn't get his head around on that touchdown and was schooled by a so-so QB and a rookie WR. Just didn't look confident at all. Moore looked better to me. 

Not sure if this was rhetorical or not, but Ward gave up 25 to Richard Sherman. 

6 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Don't know what this guy saw, but D-Law had an opening he shot through because the RG was bulldozed. McGlinchey didn't have room to slide over to get him.

McG was done on the push off right before DLaw made that move to the inside. He pushes McG back several steps; he never would have recovered there anyway.  It was actually a nice job by Lawrence and whoever their d-tackle is on what essentially amounted to a delayed stunt. The defensive tackle beat his man to the outside and gained leverage to where the guard was essentially chasing and never could have swiveled back to the inside opening , and if it wasn't the actual defensive play, Lawrence did a nice job of recognizing the hole that would open up back to the inside if he stunted that way and disengaged McG (which he did pretty easily). I'm assuming the play was drawn up that way, but regardless, bottom line is the Cowboy d-line did their job better than we did ours on the line (at both guard and tackle). 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

So he's on schedule to get hurt week 1 still. Thank god. 

Despite him being banged up last year, he only missed one game. He's kind of like Foster. They get dinged up but return to the game a few plays later. Not counting the injury Foster suffered in week 1 of course, but his other 100 injuries that led to like one missed play on average before he was out there lol.

Thinking back on this game, it did seem like we are giving the left footed punter Jeff Locke a real look. His first punt was clearly designed to spin awkwardly in the air in attempt to force a muff. Hard to explain without diagrams but it was diagonal and spinning like a corkscrew. It had good height to it but the Dallas returner was able to field it cleanly and gain another 5+ yards. Later on in the game he had a low line drive and then one that looked like he miss hit it that didn't go very far. Not a great night for him. 

Pinion didn't look very good either. He had one punt that bounced on the one or two yardline and then bounced forward into the endzone like a rocket. He needs to learn to put those in the corner or find a way to make them bounce sideways. The ball had backspin, and if it was a golf ball it would have rolled backwards, but a football bounces too unpredictably to expect that to be downed on the one. Depending where it lands in relation to the spin will just determine if it will go backwards or forwards - neither of which help us all that much. That was by far his best punt. He didn't really connect with any other punts. He had one in particular that was very short when we were deeper on our side of the field, meaning it was time to let one rip. 

Overall pinion has leg talent, but he's too inconsistent for my liking. He did make progress last year but did not look sharp on Thursday. Didn't have great body language either from what I could tell. 

It's crazy the things you can notice at the game that you simply cannot see on TV. The flight of a punt is much easier to get a read on

@N4L

I actually wouldn't completely dismiss that is a real competition either. Pinion is on the last year of his deal, I believe, and while he probably had his best season last year, he's still been remarkably inconsistent. He was drafted by Baalke, and this staff very much seems to have a preference on what each roster position is, so it wouldn't shock me if they preferred a Lefty. 

Archived