Ward4HOF

May I just say...DeCastro...

I wanted Riley Reiff or David DeCastro.  Reiff was my preference, but I was a bit biased there too since he's a SD boy and I'd watched him since he was a true freshman (progressing from OG to RT to  LT over time) at Iowa.  When pick 23 rolled around and they were both there, I just had to hope the FO wouldn't screw it up and pass on the remaining one.  They didn't, thankfully.  Meanwhile, Reiff was a rock solid LT for the Vikings last year (I still think he'd be an all pro caliber OG if he was played there) and DeCastro IS an all pro OG.  Couldn't have went wrong with either of those guys.  

On 8/10/2018 at 10:48 AM, Ward4HOF said:

Ugh...I just closed my post...so, starting over...again...

I understand what you are saying, but aside from Wagner and Smith, none of those players can claim to be at the top of their respective position, so while Bobby Wagner, Russell Wilson, Harrison Smith, and Kirk Cousins, I would expect, would be drafted ahead of DD right now in a re-draft, the likes of Josh Norman, LaMarr Miller, Dont'a Hightower, Whitney Mercilus, T.Y. Hilton, or Janoris Jenkins don't hold a candle to DD. And Kelechi Osemele is, at best, the 5th? 6th? best OG, so H2H, he loses out and would be somewhere in the late teens/20s, due to positional value. THAT is where the drop off happens, IMO, not for the best player AT that position. They are all very good players, but they all easily file in line behind DD in a re-draft.

DD is the guy, along with Pouncey on a bit less effectual level, that makes those 'holes' that Le'Veon oh, so patiently waits to open for him.  Without those opening, he's JAG.  DD can make your RB look like a star...well, at least make him look better than he really is, at the very least.

So basically, IMO, DD is picked 5th, maybe 6th, in case there were 1 or 2 other players you didn't mention that we are all forgetting from that draft.

I was not clear .  While DD might be one of the best players in the draft, because he plays at an undervalued position, even in a redraft he would go later than you would expect.  For the Steelers, i am happy they got the best OG in the draft and he has played like a #1 pick.

10 hours ago, jebrick said:

I was not clear .  While DD might be one of the best players in the draft, because he plays at an undervalued position, even in a redraft he would go later than you would expect.  For the Steelers, i am happy they got the best OG in the draft and he has played like a #1 pick.

Agree about this. How often have our RD1 picks actually played like a RD1  in the last decade?

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Agree about this. How often have our RD1 picks actually played like a RD1  in the last decade?

5 out 10 and 10 out of 15 with Edmunds TBD. 

Well, Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, Rashard Mendenhall, Ziggy Hood have been our biggest busts. 3/4 of those are on defense. Pretty telling as to why our defense is so bad. When you couple that with how often we miss in the 2md and 3rd rounds, its pretty bad tbh. We still draft better than most 

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Well, Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, Rashard Mendenhall, Ziggy Hood have been our biggest busts. 3/4 of those are on defense. Pretty telling as to why our defense is so bad. When you couple that with how often we miss in the 2md and 3rd rounds, its pretty bad tbh. We still draft better than most 

Not worth getting into anymore. People who want to think we draft poorly will continue to no matter how much we show them we draft well compared to others. 

To me what’s the telling thing is we only have 3 starters that were not drafted/UDFA signed by this team: Burnett, Haden, Villanueva. 

I like to point out that the Steelers have not drafted in the top 10 since 2000.  Not top 3 or top 5.  You do not do that on luck.  Just happens to be Colbert's first year as GM.

But the Steelers have no idea what they are doing in the draft:D

9 hours ago, warfelg said:

Not worth getting into anymore. People who want to think we draft poorly will continue to no matter how much we show them we draft well compared to others. 

To me what’s the telling thing is we only have 3 starters that were not drafted/UDFA signed by this team: Burnett, Haden, Villanueva. 

I agree with that, my point was in key areas on defense where we are we we have drafted people in the first round who have not succeeded. Timmons is an exception, he just moved on, he wasnt a failure.

8 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with that, my point was in key areas on defense where we are we we have drafted people in the first round who have not succeeded. Timmons is an exception, he just moved on, he wasnt a failure.

Hayward, Shazier?  Burns and Watt are too soon to make a decision on.