Is AJ Cann the key to a top offensive line?

.Buzz

Cann and health are the keys imo.

Linder and Norwell are both top 5 at their positions. Parnell is a top 10 RT. Robinson shows promise. Cann taking the step forward we've been waiting for since his promising rookie year would bring it all together and make it a good unit.

However, I don't think they have particularly strong depth behind them. Shatley is the only guy I think shows any promise as a fill in backup, and based on last season, they seem pretty content with not using him as a multi-position backup. Wells, Reed, Walker and Richardson all seem like pretty significant liabilities across the board, and I don't really think they're even good enough that you can necessarily mask their deficiencies. If they can stay healthy enough to limit the usage of backups, this is a unit that could be top 5, if a bunch of time gets missed by anyone other than Linder (as Shatley is his backup), I think it could be problematic against some of the better fronts we face. 

6 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I'm actually kind of concerned about Parnell. I know the coaches blamed injuries for the drop in his play but camp reports seemed to mention him getting beat a bit and he's not exactly that young

Plus watching him get ragdolled in practice is concerning even if its being done by 2 stud DEs

I think Robinson would be the key on your o-line. He was downright putrid last year in every game I watched him in(And PFF's grade, for whatever that's worth, says he was one of the worst LTs in football as well). Still feel you guys should have gone the route to moving him to guard and finding a different LT. Moving him to RG, having Norwell at LG, Linder in the middle, and Parnell, while not great at RT, is serviceable, would give you a really good o-line so long as the LT you found is at least average. As it sits now you have two holes on the o-line with Robinson and Cann instead of just one.

I dunno how often you see someone as bad as Robinson was end up getting their career turned around, but he's still young I guess.

Thinking about how good his(Robinson that is) power is, it would just do wonders for your run game inside, eliminates his weakness for the most part(his kick step and recovery). Dunno if there are many, if any d-linemen or edge rushers in football that can bull rush Cam, but there are plenty that can get around him on the outside.

21 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I think Robinson would be the key on your o-line. He was downright putrid last year in every game I watched him in(And PFF's grade, for whatever that's worth, says he was one of the worst LTs in football as well). Still feel you guys should have gone the route to moving him to guard and finding a different LT. Moving him to RG, having Norwell at LG, Linder in the middle, and Parnell, while not great at RT, is serviceable, would give you a really good o-line so long as the LT you found is at least average. As it sits now you have two holes on the o-line with Robinson and Cann instead of just one.

I dunno how often you see someone as bad as Robinson was end up getting their career turned around, but he's still young I guess.

Thinking about how good his(Robinson that is) power is, it would just do wonders for your run game inside, eliminates his weakness for the most part(his kick step and recovery). Dunno if there are many, if any d-linemen or edge rushers in football that can bull rush Cam, but there are plenty that can get around him on the outside.

Cam was good last year...

He had some struggles at times like most rookie LTs and battled through an ankle injury that caused bad mechanics at times, but last year gave most of us hope we found a franchise LT...we definitely don't see him as a weak spot.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Cam was good last year...

He had some struggles at times like most rookie LTs and battled through an ankle injury that caused bad mechanics at times, but last year gave most of us hope we found a franchise LT...we definitely don't see him as a weak spot.

I can't find a single analytics source that agrees with Cam being good. The absolute best ranking I've found for him comes from BleacherReport's scouting team ranking him the 21st left tackle in the NFL last year.

I certainly didn't see promise or hope that he's an NFL-caliber left tackle. He looked the exact same as he did in college. Great power, awful pass blocking technique, athleticism isn't the greatest nor the worst, given his size.

If he has anything going for him it's that Marrone is one of the better o-line guys out there, and I think Flaherty is the o-line coach there who has done some solid work in his years, mostly with those mid-late 00s Giants lines, developed that line with Diehl, O'Hara and Snee pretty well.

I just hate to see o-line talent wasted. Robinson could be so good at guard. He's got such a long way to go when it comes to his technique in pass blocking that I dunno if even Marrone and Flaherty can fix it quickly enough to make it worth it.

14 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I can't find a single analytics source that agrees with Cam being good. The absolute best ranking I've found for him comes from BleacherReport's scouting team ranking him the 21st left tackle in the NFL last year.

I certainly didn't see promise or hope that he's an NFL-caliber left tackle. He looked the exact same as he did in college. Great power, awful pass blocking technique, athleticism isn't the greatest nor the worst, given his size.

If he has anything going for him it's that Marrone is one of the better o-line guys out there, and I think Flaherty is the o-line coach there who has done some solid work in his years, mostly with those mid-late 00s Giants lines, developed that line with Diehl, O'Hara and Snee pretty well.

I just hate to see o-line talent wasted. Robinson could be so good at guard. He's got such a long way to go when it comes to his technique in pass blocking that I dunno if even Marrone and Flaherty can fix it quickly enough to make it worth it.

I know all about PFF and co.'s ranking, all I'm saying is I watched each and every game of his and although he did have his hiccups, there was plenty of promise and a lot of "wow" plays. As I said, he battled an ankle injury that affected his technique drastically midseason that he likely had to battle the rest of the year. 

He looks to be making strides this year based on what we've heard in camp too. But thus far I see no reason to shift him inside. He was next to a replacement level LG last year as a rookie LT. Color me impressed with what I saw.

As I said, he had his hiccups and clearly showed issues with his technique, but he's very young and has the ability to be a top end LT with work. No reason after what he showed last year while playing with a bum ankle after week 7-8 I believe it was should he move off.

On 12/08/2018 at 3:29 PM, .Buzz said:

I know all about PFF and co.'s ranking, all I'm saying is I watched each and every game of his and although he did have his hiccups, there was plenty of promise and a lot of "wow" plays. As I said, he battled an ankle injury that affected his technique drastically midseason that he likely had to battle the rest of the year. 

He looks to be making strides this year based on what we've heard in camp too. But thus far I see no reason to shift him inside. He was next to a replacement level LG last year as a rookie LT. Color me impressed with what I saw.

As I said, he had his hiccups and clearly showed issues with his technique, but he's very young and has the ability to be a top end LT with work. No reason after what he showed last year while playing with a bum ankle after week 7-8 I believe it was should he move off.

Yeah.  Cam isn't the most refined LT and he's probably never going to be an elite "all around" blocker.  But he's showed a ton of promise in the run game (which this team is built on), and the ability to be "good enough" in the pass game.  I think @TitanLegend will find that despite what "the numbers" may say, most Jaguars fans were pretty content with Cam Robinson's play as a rookie last year.  Particularly when he was fully healthy.

It's not exactly a cakewalk just going out and "finding a better LT".  It was a bogus draft for instant starter LTs, and going after someone like Solder would've meant spending titanic money on him, which would've meant no Norwell.  So we'd have have still had that RG question with AJ Cann anyway.  And that's assuming (probably incorrectly) that Solder would've even chosen here over the big city lights of New York in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived