CW21's 2018 NFL Draft Thread (Post Questions)

CWood21

10 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

What do you think of Cole Reyes, S, from North Dakota?

And also, who is the better G prospect, Quenton Nelson or Will Hernandez?

Honestly haven't really seen enough of Reyes to have any strong feelings towards him.  Not a lot of tape on him, and I think the only one I really saw was against Richmond last year.  They move him around a lot in that game.

As for Nelson/Hernandez, it's pretty clearly Nelson but I don't have that clear 1st round grade that I've seen others put on him.  I think he needs to lose a little bit of weight, I'm not a huge fan of 330+ OG, but that might just be me.  And while he moves laterally decently in space, he's not real great at finding defenders to block.  He moves his legs better than Hernandez in pass pro, Hernandez tends to get a bit stuck and pad level is a concerns for me with Hernandez.

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

How good is this year's safety class? What kind of players are the Bama safeties? I kind of understand Fitzpatrick is in the mold of a ballhawk, but what type of player is Harrison? 

Looks like an overall pretty good class.  You've got Derwin James and potentially Minkah Fitzpatrick near the top of the board if you prefer to go that way.  Add in Harrison from Alabama and a few other safeties in this class, and you've got a pretty solid class.  As for Harrison, I kinda view him as what people thought they were getting in Mark Barron.  Someone who plays better the closer he is to the LOS, but he's not a liability in coverage and probably isn't going to be a strength of his by any means.

4 hours ago, bananabucket said:

How do you see Chubb fitting in a 3-4?

Just fine.  He played OLB early in his career at NC State, and there's no real flexibility concerns that prevent me from projecting him playing standing up.  And the whole dropping back into coverage issues tend to get overplayed every year.  You rarely find defenses flexing their pass rushers out in man coverage on receivers and running backs out of the backfield.  As long as their backpedals is relatively smooth, they can drop into zone coverage and play reasonably well there.

On 10/18/2017 at 6:56 PM, CWood21 said:

Honestly haven't really seen enough of Reyes to have any strong feelings towards him.  Not a lot of tape on him, and I think the only one I really saw was against Richmond last year.  They move him around a lot in that game.

As for Nelson/Hernandez, it's pretty clearly Nelson but I don't have that clear 1st round grade that I've seen others put on him.  I think he needs to lose a little bit of weight, I'm not a huge fan of 330+ OG, but that might just be me.  And while he moves laterally decently in space, he's not real great at finding defenders to block.  He moves his legs better than Hernandez in pass pro, Hernandez tends to get a bit stuck and pad level is a concerns for me with Hernandez.

I've found myself thinking the same thing at times with Nelson.  He's a fantastic Guard prospect and it's not like he's catastrophically overly heavy by any means, but there are definitely times i've thought he might need to trim up a bit to be that extra tick quicker on the move and to get to guys on the next level, especially at the Pro level.

19 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I've found myself thinking the same thing at times with Nelson.  He's a fantastic Guard prospect and it's not like he's catastrophically overly heavy by any means, but there are definitely times i've thought he might need to trim up a bit to be that extra tick quicker on the move and to get to guys on the next level, especially at the Pro level.

LIS, it's not an issue just more a preference.  I just don't like my guards being that heavy, I feel it tends to hurt their mobility which is something I value quite highly in my OL.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:34 PM, CWood21 said:

Starting to get going on my rankings, any QBs I should watch that I haven't already got in my rankings?

Lamar Jackson Louisville (id suggest his Clemson tape as well as NC state). 

Clayton Thorson from Northwestern

Riley Ferguson Memphis

Chase Litton Marshall

Jarrett Stidham Auburn

17 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Lamar Jackson Louisville (id suggest his Clemson tape as well as NC state). 

Clayton Thorson from Northwestern

Riley Ferguson Memphis

Chase Litton Marshall

Jarrett Stidham Auburn

Lamar Jackson is definitely on my list of need to watch.  Haven't really dug into the other guys, other than maybe Stidham.

Archived