CW21's 2018 NFL Draft Thread (Post Questions)

CWood21

On 10/28/2017 at 3:50 PM, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure there's a Julio Jones or AJ Green-level of receiver in this year's class, but there's talent there.  At first glance, you could make an argument for Courtland Sutton or James Washington as the top WR, and both would have very legitimate arguments.  Then you have guys like Calvin Ridley or Dante Pettis who aren't your protoypical elite WR who could go high.

I like this breakdown.  This year feels totally devoid of that prototype "#1WR", but it does have some guys with a ton of talent who would be those mold-breakers who become bonafide top WRs in the NFL without having that "total package".

It could just be a bunch of #1b or #2ish guys though.  Which is kinda what it feels like to me.

On 10/31/2017 at 8:23 AM, Kenrik said:

Who is the best pure pass rusher in this class?

Thanks!

You could easily make the argument for Bradley Chubb, Arden Key, or Clelin Ferrell.  Honestly, Chubb and Key are the top two for me.  Chubb right now probably has the biggest combination of upside and floor.  Some tightness in there, but nothing too alarming.  The way that LSU is utilizing Key right now is frustrating, would rather see him getting after the QB more.  As for Ferrell, maybe it's just me but these Clemson DE's are starting to blend together.  Seems like more are coming out with high floors, low ceilings. 

On 11/4/2017 at 3:23 AM, Tugboat said:

I like this breakdown.  This year feels totally devoid of that prototype "#1WR", but it does have some guys with a ton of talent who would be those mold-breakers who become bonafide top WRs in the NFL without having that "total package".

It could just be a bunch of #1b or #2ish guys though.  Which is kinda what it feels like to me.

Pretty much.  You put any of these guys with an elite WR, and they're going to receiving a TON of extra benefits by not having to be the focus of the defense.  Take a guy like Dante Pettis, you put him in that kind of situation and he's going to blossom.  Actually put him in a position where he's one of the few playmakers, and he's going to struggle with all the intention.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You could easily make the argument for Bradley Chubb, Arden Key, or Clelin Ferrell.  Honestly, Chubb and Key are the top two for me.  Chubb right now probably has the biggest combination of upside and floor.  Some tightness in there, but nothing too alarming.  The way that LSU is utilizing Key right now is frustrating, would rather see him getting after the QB more.  As for Ferrell, maybe it's just me but these Clemson DE's are starting to blend together.  Seems like more are coming out with high floors, low ceilings. 

@CWood21 Not to hijack your thread but I wasn't that high on the guy as others were but watching him against Alabama, he really look good as a pass rusher, he had a plan on every rush, he used his bend, he used his hands really well, he constantly moved Hurts off of his spot.

Also, for the sake of the thread, what are your thoughts on Jalyn Holmes, and a guy who salvaged his career in Johnny Dixon.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Who would benefit most of the Big-4 sitting behind Palmer for a year?  BA isn't coming back so don't factor that in.

You can probably cross Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen off the list, neither of them are likely going to fall to the Cardinals.  At that point, you're getting into that Josh Allen/Baker Mayfield/Lamar Jackson tier depending on who declares.  I'm still a bit skeptical that Lamar Jackson declares, something tells me he's returning to Louisville for one more year.  I'll say Josh Allen, although I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on him.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Due to real life, I'm behind on draft prospects this year. Who are some guys you think are overrated by the media and some guys you think are being overlooked by the media?

Good question.  Really hard to answer since rankings are so subjective.  A few guys that I think are on the overrated side include Mason Rudolph, Mike McGlinchey, and Ronnie Harrison.  When you look at Mason Rudolph, the offense that they run at Oklahoma State doesn't do him any favors in terms of evaluation.  You look at their three losses against TCU, Oklahoma, and Kansas State he had a completion percentage of 55% in those games with 10 passing TD and 6 interceptions.  That's simply not good enough.  And then you get into the actual tape and he's underwhelming.  Most of his yardage (and TD) come from big gains vertically, and his accuracy in the short-to-intermediate range is underwhelming.  Honestly, I'm not sure he's a whole lot different than Mike Glennon.  Not quite the arm strength that Glennon had coming out of NC State, but similar kind of concerns.  As for McGlinchey, his issues have been well documented.  More natural athletes are going to have their way with him.  As for Ronnie Harrison, maybe it goes back to my opinion that if you're not able to play in the middle of the field beyond the LOS you're limited in value.  Harrison just has way too many concerns for me in coverage that I just can't rubber stamp him with a top 64 grade.

Archived