Preseason Week 1 GDT

JiffyJag

14 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Geno has played well. He should get some first team reps next week instead of Jones. 

One can only hope. Of course the coaching staff already knows what Geno is. They should be convinced Jones is garbage by now. 

My guy Brandon Facyson looking good for the Chargers.  Got an INT tonight.  Also heard that he's been making plays in training camp.  Good chance he makes the team as an undrafted free agent.  Also given how thin the Chargers are at CB, there's a good chance he gets some run in the regular season.  He's got a lot of potential.

8 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

The ref's explanation for a penalty was the player 'went out of bounds and stayed out of bounds... before coming back in'. What? 

As a gunner on punt coverage it is not uncommon to get blocked out of bounds.  That is fine, not your fault.  But you must immediately re-establish yourself in bounds.  If you just run down the sideline out of bounds that is a penalty bc you are avoiding the blocker illegally

15 hours ago, Forge said:

This would probably mean more if I had a point of comparison, but there you go. 

What I hate the most about this is announcers commenting on seemingly absurd calls then claiming "Surely they are calling this more often to send a message to players and coaches of the new rule..." Alluding that it won't be called as much during the regular season. To me this makes no sense. If it's a rule, call it. It should be black and white, not subject to a refs freelance decision. There is going to be helmet crown to helmet on almost every drive. You can't just call it half of the time on a whim because you don't want to go overboard with the calls.

It's like holding penalties. There is holding on every play. Too much grey area breeds inconsistent refereeing which in turn just makes the game less enjoyable. 

Archived