Sign in to follow this  
ericsvibe

Training camp 2018

Man it has been dead in here. I hope everyone hasn't left and given up. Some notes about training camp on the eve of the first preseason game. Mike Gesicki is the real deal and is the #1 TE right now. For anyone who follows Gase, you know how big of a deal this is. Gase hates playing rookies. Especially on offense. Mike G has been unstoppable in practice. I don't know how many TD's he has, but even when matched up against the starting secondary, he comes down with the football. His jumping ability, catch radius, and ability to read the football is elite. I don't know how well he is doing in blocking, but as far as receiving, he has been Tannehill's best weapon in the red zone. Minkah has also played extremely well, and has been an interception machine. He has played a ton in the slot in certain packages, and plays with tight coverage. When he is at center field, it has been very difficult to get behind him. Jerome Baker hasn't looked ready to play. He has done very well in special teams, but it has been reported that he looks lost when playing OLB. He needs lots of work learning NFL offenses and where he needs to be. Chase Allen has the edge right now at OLB, and has outplayed S. Anthony. Smythe has been pretty invisible in camp, but he did have a clutch TD. He has lots to work on. Ballage has flashed at times, and is a tremendous athlete. He is buried on the depth chart right now, so I doubt he gets much playing time this year barring an injury. I haven't heard anything about Armstrong, so he must not be doing much. Poling has flashed at times, and he has elite speed and athleticism. He has been great in coverage and special teams, and he has a great shot at making the 53. Other surprises. Tory McTyer is winning the #2 CB battle right now. The D-line has been unstoppable against the passing game. Wake and Quinn haven't lost a step, and Spence has gotten great penetration in the middle. It has been so dominant that the coaching staff hasn't really been able to tell how good the O-line is coming along, and they really need to see them in action against the Bucs to have a point to measure.

I guess I will keep putting some updates. Baker has been getting reps at OLB. Anthony seems to be a bust, and word is that he may not make the final 53. Baker is finally reading plays correctly, and is getting to the ball carrier quickly. He is also very good in coverage. The only real problem with Baker as a starter, is we don't know how well he can tackle against elite NFL RB's. They could rotate Allen with Baker as they both compliment each other well. Parker hasn't done anything in camp to keep his starting WR job. In fact, rumors are starting to swirl that he may be out. In practice, the most successful WR group has been Amendola as the 1, Stills as the 2, Wilson in the slot, and Grant as the 4. I wouldn't be surprised to see Parker traded. The other big battle right now is CB. Howard just doesn't seem to be able to bring his practice play to games. The Phins are so worried that they are looking for possible upgrades through a trade. The team had McCain at CB1, Howard at CB2, and Minkah covering the slot in practice. Ballage has turned heads in practice, and he had a really good first preseason game. If he can get over his rookie wall quickly, he may get some significant playing time this year. He is very hard to tackle, and has a great burst that carries him through contact. Mike G' effort has caught Gase's eye. Gase said that Mike has been getting destroyed by Cam Wake in practice, but he never complains, gets back up, and goes right back at it. He said that Mike has talent that is very rare at that position, and if he can become an effective blocker, he won't have to come off the field. The starting TE job I Mike G's for the taking. The starting D-line was flat against the Bucs. Quinn said that the fast pace and hard work of training camp has slowed the big guys down some, but said that as camp winds down, that won't be a problem. He said that they were all bruised and cut up, but they are all veterans and know what to do. The offensive line is getting better each day, and they are starting to look like a cohesive unit. One national reporter said that if Tannehill has time to throw, the talent at RB, WR, and TE will be hard for defenses to match up against. Tannehill knows the offense, and has been working the pocket like a veteran. His accuracy on long throws still isn't where you want it, but the short and intermediate throws have been on the money, and that is the sweet spot in Gase's offense.