Mitchell Countdown

dll2000

Amongst my many arguments to just going with Mitch from day one after draft was fan pressure.    Its a real thing.  50k booing fans and 100k tweets and call after call on talk radio gets heard.   Bears fans are starving and impatient   It will have an effect even if you tell yourself it doesnt.

Pressure started after first pre season game!!!  No way this goes enitre 2017 season like many were predicting .  Glennon will melt first under all that pressure.

You are going to end up playing him at some point so you might as well give him all the reps and all the attention.   Not split it 3 ways.  Total immersion is fastest way to learn a language.    Watched reps are mostly a waste of time unless ypu are watching film of your own reps.  You are just slowing him down.   Let him suck and get better   

Also play that rookie wide receiver.  All he does is make plays  in practice and now in a game.  Forget other guys experience   Play the best players. 

Typed on ipad   Forgive typos please   

I was very impressed by him, but I still think this will drag out. Mitch was doing great with lower leveled guys and against lower level guys, so it was pretty even talent-wise, but I feel like Pace is going to want to have the OL sorted out before even looking at Trubisky. Long and Sitton recovering, Kush out, etc. I'd have no qualms with him starting imediately but they are going to want to make sure the OL is meshing and able to protect him before throwing him out there IMO.

I'm trying not to look too much into one game too. There were people saying Cardale was the future face of the franchise after his first preseason game in BUF, and he's already been proven to be completely expendable. He was traded for a 7th or something minimal. While Trubisky is clearly far more talented, I want to see more body of work.

I was talking about this on another board, but I just don't see any way he will (or should) start week 1.

HOWEVER...

If Glennon is absolute garbage, I wouldn't hesitate to start Trubisky week 5 at home vs the Vikings

vs Vikings

@ Ravens

vs Panthers

@ Saints

BYE WEEK

vs Packers

I just mainly want him to get vast bulk of coaching attention.   I dont want him watching or takng mental reps once camp ends.  

Reps are trad limited to starter in season.  He will regress holding a clip board for all of 2017 or at least not grow. 

47 minutes ago, G08 said:

I was talking about this on another board, but I just don't see any way he will (or should) start week 1.

HOWEVER...

If Glennon is absolute garbage, I wouldn't hesitate to start Trubisky week 5 at home vs the Vikings

vs Vikings

@ Ravens

vs Panthers

@ Saints

BYE WEEK

vs Packers

That's exactly what I think will happen. Even if you didn't get the exact week right, the Bears will pick a point in the season where MItch will have his work cut out for him and the team and the QB position are in a favorable position to have success.

I'd be fine with Trubisky getting first team reps in season even as a back up (let's say 30%, Glennon gets 70%). Glennon should have to fight off the competition all season, he isn't an entrenched star, and I want Trubisky to start developing some chemistry with Meredith and Co. prior to the Tuesday after a game Glennon blows. If Trubisky matches Glennon in practice he gets 5% more reps, if Glennon sucks in a game he loses 5%. Once Trubisky gets to 55% he is appointed the starter.

You've got 4 years of pro experience over Trubisky and played in 20 some-odd games in the NFL. If you're being matched by the rookie, then you're losing the competition.

It was impressive as hell. MT really seems to have a grasp on the game, and more important seems to have the "it" factor.  I'm really excited for the future.

However, I would be very shocked if he doesn't come back to earth a bit over the next couple preseason games. Mostly it's because it would be hard to top, also because (and I know they say they don't game plan, but c'mon) there will be some tape on him now. Also, we're Bears fans, so we can't get that lucky right? Right?

I expect Trubisky to be starting halfway through the season. 

Oh he will absolutely come back down, you're right. But exactly how high up will Glennon come (because he isn't as bad as he played)? If they are similar, and you are able to protect Trubisky with a competent OL, there is no reason IMO not to let him take over.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Oh he will absolutely come back down, you're right. But exactly how high up will Glennon come (because he isn't as bad as he played)? If they are similar, and you are able to protect Trubisky with a competent OL, there is no reason IMO not to let him take over.

The ability to protect him has been brought up a bunch of times. Last year's squad allowed just 28 sacks in 16 games. Only 6 teams allowed less, and that was with a group of QBs (outside of Cutler) with far lesser mobility than Trubisky, a rookie center and our pro bowl guard missing half the season. Outside of unforeseen attrition issues our ability to protect the QB should be just fine. 

Ultimately, Fox is on the line this year. He's entering a potential lame duck season next year, so he absolutely needs to win. Maybe not playoffs level of winning, but actual progress. He's going to go with whichever QB gives him the best chance to do that. Trubisky's long term development, in spite of whatever he says, is going to be secondary to that. Even if we become a perennial playoff contender beginning this year and Trubisky has Russell Wilson level success right out of the gate the likelihood Fox is around for more than maybe the duration of Trubisky's rookie deal is pretty low. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

The ability to protect him has been brought up a bunch of times. Last year's squad allowed just 28 sacks in 16 games. Only 6 teams allowed less, and that was with a group of QBs (outside of Cutler) with far lesser mobility than Trubisky, a rookie center and our pro bowl guard missing half the season. Outside of unforeseen attrition issues our ability to protect the QB should be just fine. 

Ultimately, Fox is on the line this year. He's entering a potential lame duck season next year, so he absolutely needs to win. Maybe not playoffs level of winning, but actual progress. He's going to go with whichever QB gives him the best chance to do that. Trubisky's long term development, in spite of whatever he says, is going to be secondary to that. Even if we become a perennial playoff contender beginning this year and Trubisky has Russell Wilson level success right out of the gate the likelihood Fox is around for more than maybe the duration of Trubisky's rookie deal is pretty low. 

We had probably 20 teams pass more times than Chicago, and also allowed the 8th most pressures. Mobility can also be a curse as they often try to stretch the play out. We saw it with Jay, Wilson, Newton, Big Ben, Taylor, etc.

I agree  we SHOULD be able to protect him, but I'm not confident that players will stay healthy. Long has not been able to get healthy, Sitton isn't, our top reserve Kush is out for the season, and now Grasu is coming back to start after his second year of being on the IR. Our OL is pretty similar to OLB as far as health goes, which is tenuous at best. Add in my lack of faith in Leno and Massie (as they allowed over 70 of the 110 pressures) and the concerns of the OL are real. Loggains would be able to better ease my mind if he would be dedicated to the run, but seeing Barkley throw about 180 times in 4 games has me wondering if he will be able to (though I feel like that was kind of an intentional flop, as we had a great running attack but chose to put the team on Barkley's arm while having a depleted WR corps).

I've been very pointed on my lack of faith in Glennon, and I believe if you gave both he and Trubisky the same scenarios, rosters, and 16 games that Trubisky will win 3 more games than Glennon. That is including the 1-2 crashing rookie games where his lack of experience gets exploited. He is just a far more talented player IMO.

On August 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM, G08 said:

vs Vikings

@ Ravens

vs Panthers

@ Saints

BYE WEEK

vs Packers

You mentioned week 5 vs. Minnesota, but I don't know. One of Trubisky's shortcomings coming out of NC was blitz pickup, and Minnesota does a lot of disguising and zone blitz.

If Glennon goes totally off the rails or gets destroyed, I could honestly see the Bears turning to Sanchez for a few games if they're not yet ready to put Trubisky on the field. People say Sanchez is just on the team to be a mentor, but I think it goes a little further than that. He can run the offense in a pinch, not be great, but he's a seasoned pro who can start a few games and not totally tank.

I do think we see Trubisky this year, no later than week 13. Last five games: vs. San Fran, at Cincinnati, at Detroit, vs. Cleveland, at Minnesota.

4 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

You mentioned week 5 vs. Minnesota, but I don't know. One of Trubisky's shortcomings coming out of NC was blitz pickup, and Minnesota does a lot of disguising and zone blitz.

If Glennon goes totally off the rails or gets destroyed, I could honestly see the Bears turning to Sanchez for a few games if they're not yet ready to put Trubisky on the field. People say Sanchez is just on the team to be a mentor, but I think it goes a little further than that. He can run the offense in a pinch, not be great, but he's a seasoned pro who can start a few games and not totally tank.

I do think we see Trubisky this year, no later than week 13. Last five games: vs. San Fran, at Cincinnati, at Detroit, vs. Cleveland, at Minnesota.

If the idea is to ease him in against lesser competition then why, in the Name of ZEUS' BUTTHOLE (this is totally because of your Nic Cage avy), isn't he getting more reps in the preseason? 

Archived