Mitchell Countdown

dll2000

I think what we did with Trubisky on Thursday is going to pay dividends down the road...we put him in there with a load of guys who aren't making an NFL 53 in a million years and let him take his lumps...on the surface of it it makes it look like we sold him up the river without a paddle...but if he does take over as our starter there will be times this year where he is put under the same kind of players but elite defenders...putting him through adversity now is 100% the right thing to do for his long term development...

In terms of starting him just now I always circle back to do I want us to win 2 or 3 more games with him starting this season or do I want to properly develop him for a season and hopefully have a winning record for the next 10 years? If we get this wrong and put him out there to lose his confidence then we will never see the best of him...of course he could go out their and flourish...but I still think keep him under wraps until the last month of the season...get rid of Fox...get some more talent around him at OT & WR and let him truly take the starting job over in 2018.

On 8/20/2017 at 11:33 PM, AZBearsFan said:

If the idea is to ease him in against lesser competition then why, in the Name of ZEUS' BUTTHOLE (this is totally because of your Nic Cage avy), isn't he getting more reps in the preseason? 

Right or wrong, Fox doesn't seem to care about getting rookies preseason reps. We've seen this for three years now. He'll just roll with vets in the preseason and then throw rookies into the fire with little to no notice.

Remember all of the massive outage over Floyd being listed as a 2 or 3 just days before the Houston game last year, and then he came out as the starter? Same with Whitehair.

Thats not to say I think the plan is to start Trubisky early in the season. I just think preseason depth chart isn't an accurate judge of regular season reps at all with this roster.

From the webpage of the Tribunes Sport Section...

Mitch Trubisky's preseason rise reached new heights Wednesday when the Bears rookie quarterback took some practice repetitions with the first-string offense for the first time. It's the most concrete evidence to date that the Bears are open to starting Trubisky sometime during his rookie season.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Trubisky-to-open-second-half-with-starters/09aed893-6268-4813-a496-d6789a34c733

Trubisky to start the 2nd half of the 3rd preseason game with the starters.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:50 AM, dll2000 said:

Amongst my many arguments to just going with Mitch from day one after draft was fan pressure.    Its a real thing.  50k booing fans and 100k tweets and call after call on talk radio gets heard.   Bears fans are starving and impatient   It will have an effect even if you tell yourself it doesnt.

Pressure started after first pre season game!!!  No way this goes enitre 2017 season like many were predicting .  Glennon will melt first under all that pressure.

You are going to end up playing him at some point so you might as well give him all the reps and all the attention.   Not split it 3 ways.  Total immersion is fastest way to learn a language.    Watched reps are mostly a waste of time unless ypu are watching film of your own reps.  You are just slowing him down.   Let him suck and get better   

Also play that rookie wide receiver.  All he does is make plays  in practice and now in a game.  Forget other guys experience   Play the best players. 

Typed on ipad   Forgive typos please   

Bruh typing on an iPad with s hard as hell brah 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

From the webpage of the Tribunes Sport Section...

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Trubisky-to-open-second-half-with-starters/09aed893-6268-4813-a496-d6789a34c733

Trubisky to start the 2nd half of the 3rd preseason game with the starters.

Realistically it's probably minimum one series, max two, but it's better than nothing.

What happens if Glennon totally implodes in the first half?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1OY1VEi8p8&feature=youtu.be

Peter Schrager: I got a text from someone who is within the organization saying "Love all 3 QB's, but this guy Trubisky is an Alpha and I won't take it away from him. He is a leader in the locker room already, and he has taken people under his wing."

Peter Schrager: I got a text from someone who is within the organization saying "Love all 3 QB's, but this guy Trubisky is an Alpha and I won't take it away from him. He is a leader in the locker room already, and he has taken people under his wing."

This is going to have a very simple conclusion

-John Fox has to win games to save his job.

-Mike Glennon is guaranteed loses.

Those 2 things cannot coexist and Fox knows it, it is why he has backed off of the Glennon train and Mitch is getting a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 11:38 AM, Madmike90 said:

I think what we did with Trubisky on Thursday is going to pay dividends down the road...we put him in there with a load of guys who aren't making an NFL 53 in a million years and let him take his lumps...on the surface of it it makes it look like we sold him up the river without a paddle...but if he does take over as our starter there will be times this year where he is put under the same kind of players but elite defenders...putting him through adversity now is 100% the right thing to do for his long term development...

In terms of starting him just now I always circle back to do I want us to win 2 or 3 more games with him starting this season or do I want to properly develop him for a season and hopefully have a winning record for the next 10 years? If we get this wrong and put him out there to lose his confidence then we will never see the best of him...of course he could go out their and flourish...but I still think keep him under wraps until the last month of the season...get rid of Fox...get some more talent around him at OT & WR and let him truly take the starting job over in 2018.

I think he should play.

I think concerns about confidence and not having success are a little overblown. He also appears have the right make up for success. I look at guys like Carr and Mariota who started year 1 and really established themselves in year 2. It appears Wentz is primed for that as well.

The concerns at WR are real, but I would hate to cost him valuable experience because the WRs are bad. 

Personally, I feel that the development in practice is not nearly as valuable to when the lights come on and the pressure is real. Will there be bad moments in 2017, absolutely, but those are happening no matter what. I think we get the growing pains out in 2017 and in 2018 are ready for Mitch to ascend.

My main argument is that I do not think that Mitch is going to being going out there, not able to defend himself.

1. I think he has shown that the game is not WAY too much for him like it was for someone like Goff.

2. I think the Bears have an above average OL, above average RB talent and a very solid TE crew. I also think they have a defense that will keep them out of ridiculous shoot outs.

Now it will require some control from Loggains, who went a little nuts with Barkley last season. Staying committed to the run, protecting the QB, doing the roll out play action stuff that the did in the pre season.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think he should play.

I think concerns about confidence and not having success are a little overblown. He also appears have the right make up for success. I look at guys like Carr and Mariota who started year 1 and really established themselves in year 2. It appears Wentz is primed for that as well.

The concerns at WR are real, but I would hate to cost him valuable experience because the WRs are bad. 

Personally, I feel that the development in practice is not nearly as valuable to when the lights come on and the pressure is real. Will there be bad moments in 2017, absolutely, but those are happening no matter what. I think we get the growing pains out in 2017 and in 2018 are ready for Mitch to ascend.

There is no 100% correct answer on this because there are so many moving parts to having a successful career in the NFL...I think Trubisky is strong mentally but there comes a point where no matter how strong you are if you get hit enough or throw enough INTs it starts to effect you...the very best go through this...I remember seeing Aaron Rodgers falling apart against the cardinals when they sacked him 8 times and hit him umpteen more times...he was angry and scared back there...Payton Manning for years got owned in Foxboro for years as a Colt because they were in his head...even the usually unflappable Tom Brady panics when he is being hit too many times...it's natural and these are three of the very best of all time...we have a quality OL but who is getting open? Then he is holding the ball too long...then he is hearing footsteps even when they aren't coming and throwing up poor passes...too much of that and he is David Carr and not Derek...

Now as I said that is not 100% going to happen and maybe he goes out there and becomes a total star...but just looking at guys like Rodgers who sat and really learned their craft as an NFL QB I just think that type of development will lead to better long term gains...I think Trubisky gets you 2 more wins this season than Glennon would...I think giving him a season to learn the pro game and an NFL locker room gets you 10 seasons of excellent QB play and gives you a chance to be competitive.

Archived