Mitchell Countdown

dll2000

I think it's hilarious how fast Bears fans went from having one of the biggest fan meltdowns I've ever seen over the Mike Glennon signing to having probably THE biggest meltdown I've ever seen over the Trubisky pick to being furious that Trubisky isn't starting over Glennon.

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think that Fox has shown a track record of favoring veterans, even some horrendous ones, over playing a young QB.

I think that might play into this more than an honest evaluation of Mitch.

I think it's a number of factors...sure that is one of them...but so is the fact this is a young QB with very little experience who should be brought on slowly...I have said I would love to see him in the final month of the season...start him in the last 4 games and see how he goes...but I can totally see the logic of protecting him right now.

16 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think it's a number of factors...sure that is one of them...but so is the fact this is a young QB with very little experience who should be brought on slowly...I have said I would love to see him in the final month of the season...start him in the last 4 games and see how he goes...but I can totally see the logic of protecting him right now.

I give Glennon 4 weeks to look more than mediocre or win a game or 2.

I think he showed in preseason that while he needs to learn things, his natural ability will allow him to function and protect himself.

30 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

I think it's hilarious how fast Bears fans went from having one of the biggest fan meltdowns I've ever seen over the Mike Glennon signing to having probably THE biggest meltdown I've ever seen over the Trubisky pick to being furious that Trubisky isn't starting over Glennon.

Glennon signing-I was meh, but I understood the need for insurance

Trubisky- was very happy with the pick. I was more of a Watson guy, but was just psyched they finally did it.

Trubisky not playing-he is clearly more developed than we were led to believe.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I give Glennon 4 weeks to look more than mediocre or win a game or 2.

I think he showed in preseason that while he needs to learn things, his natural ability will allow him to function and protect himself.

I think we all know preseason shows us very little...2017 is another throw away season for us...it's sad to say it but it's the truth...we aren't coming close to winning even the division this year so why take the risk of putting him out there on a hiding to nothing...continue to build and give the guy a proper shot next season.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think we all know preseason shows us very little...2017 is another throw away season for us...it's sad to say it but it's the truth...we aren't coming close to winning even the division this year so why take the risk of putting him out there on a hiding to nothing...continue to build and give the guy a proper shot next season.

I disagree that preseason shows us very little. I think that it shows you physical skills and from that stand point I think Trubisky gave us a lot of valuable information. I think that Trubisky showed that while the mental side may need work, work you can get in live reps, his physical tools will allow him to protect himself and to produce.

You need the experience. Trubisky would still have more to work with than Wentz, Carr and Mariota did when they started.

I am not sure waiting for another throw away season is going to go over well with the rest of the team or with a coaching staff that is going to get fired. At some point from a culture stand point they need to stop losing.

I do not see the point in artificially repressing him, which is what I think the Bears will be doing if he sits for 12 weeks.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I disagree that preseason shows us very little. I think that it shows you physical skills and from that stand point I think Trubisky gave us a lot of valuable information. I think that Trubisky showed that while the mental side may need work, work you can get in live reps, his physical tools will allow him to protect himself and to produce.

You need the experience. Trubisky would still have more to work with than Wentz, Carr and Mariota did when they started.

I am not sure waiting for another throw away season is going to go over well with the rest of the team or with a coaching staff that is going to get fired. At some point from a culture stand point they need to stop losing.

I do not see the point in artificially repressing him, which is what I think the Bears will be doing if he sits for 12 weeks.

We already knew he had the physical skills...preseason didn't teach us that...I also disagree he is more pro ready than Carr & Mariota...maybe Wentz due to his lack of experience as well...

The coaching staff may not like it but this is a decision bigger than them...Pace has to take ownership over it and decide if he wants a young guy thrown out there to try and save the coaching staff's job or if he wants to develop this guy properly and have long term success.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

We already knew he had the physical skills...preseason didn't teach us that...I also disagree he is more pro ready than Carr & Mariota...maybe Wentz due to his lack of experience as well...

The coaching staff may not like it but this is a decision bigger than them...Pace has to take ownership over it and decide if he wants a young guy thrown out there to try and save the coaching staff's job or if he wants to develop this guy properly and have long term success.

He has more talent to work with on offense, even with the Bears garbage WR core.

If he was as far away from playing as some think than there is no way he should be the #2. Right now he could take snaps against the Falcons, which would be the worst thing for his development if he needs a year on the sideline.

The Bears clearly think he is closer to starting than some fans.

Mitch Trubisky getting 1st team reps in practice would not be worth the risk of him playing "too early" if the plan is to start him in week 12 or 13.

My guess is with how much of a statue Glennon is he is going to take a live snap in the next 4 games, whether he replaces Glennon or not.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He has more talent to work with on offense, even with the Bears garbage WR core.

If he was as far away from playing as some think than there is no way he should be the #2. Right now he could take snaps against the Falcons, which would be the worst thing for his development if he needs a year on the sideline.

The Bears clearly think he is closer to starting than some fans.

Just not as close as Glennon...

We know Trubisky is the most talented QB on the roster...but that doesn't mean he is the best option right now.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Just not as close as Glennon...

We know Trubisky is the most talented QB on the roster...but that doesn't mean he is the best option right now.

He will be by week 5, which is when I think he replaces Glennon.

To me that is the only reasonable assumption to be drawn from him being the #2 right now. They are clearly comfortable with him playing right now, as he is in position to have to come off the bench cold.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

There is nothing to back up that opinion...he was always going to be the #2 QB on this team...the first few weeks of preseason was simply to try and show that he earned it.

You do not have a guy #2 who you do not think is ready to play, because there is a good chance he needs to play.

The biggest problem with this whole mess is that Glennon just doesn't have any upside. He's strictly a caretaker. Hell, they handle him like a caretaker. The Glennon gameplan calls for no taking chances to make impact plays. He went almost half the damn game today without completing a single pass of any kind for God's sake. In the first 3 quarters of today's game he threw exactly one pass that traveled 10 yards in the air. One! How can you hope to accomplish anything of consequence if the defense only has to defend a 15-yard section of the field? Hell, even before the early 4th quarter punt its 3rd and forever from midfield and he throws an underneath route. Take a shot deep there - only 3 things can happen: 2 are good (catch or defensive penalty) and the third (INT) is the same as a punt anyway. What are you gaining punting from the 43 instead of the 50? Basically nothing at all. The check down to me there was a complete nod to keeping an INT off his stat line. 

At his best Glennon's a guy who doesn't beat himself. That's got value, but it's very capped. We had 3 scoring drives today: the first he almost screwed up taking a 3rd down sack that nearly put us out of FG range, the 2nd after a 50 yard Cohen run where his biggest contribution was blocking when split out wide in a Wildcat formation, and one when ATL was in a semi-prevent after taking a 2 score lead. He played well in the 4th quarter and I won't discount that, but our D had held an elite offense to just 13 points in 3 quarters. That's a game we should be LEADING in the 4th quarter, and that we weren't in position for that falls upon the things Glennon can't do. It's not even that Trubisky can (or expectedly can) - it's that starting caliber NFL QBs can. Guys like Glennon or Hoyer last year can keep you in games and give you a chance but they seldom if ever WIN you a game. They're complementary pieces in a game won by impact plays. 

What's Glennon going to do when opponents scheme to take the edge away from Cohen? They can single our WR all day, so they can dedicate extra attention there for sure. Without Cohen's big plays today we might have gotten shut out. Wheaton is probably back next week but his greatest strength is as a deep threat and Glennon won't throw deep - he will seldom even throw to the sticks on 3rd and long. If we can't take the top off our opponents can take away the one thing Glennon CAN do (underneath passing game). Then what do we have - Howard and Cohen running into 8-man fronts 90% of the time? That's a recipe for 4-5 wins tops and a new HC next year. 

Archived