Chicago Bears @ Cincinnati Bengals Pre Season

blkwdw13

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Main staples of the Nagy offense include a ton of pre-snap movement and misdirection. Lots of RPOs. We saw none of that tonight at all with the first team offense. No play action either. Just straight drop backs and handoffs. We also only saw 8 plays (one of which was 3rd and 20+), didn’t see our top 2 RB or top 2 WR at all, and Burton barely saw the field. I wanted to see more too, but I think context is important here. 

Their starting RG also played 1 series

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Offense

-I did not think Trubisky had a chance to get going. Kush got dominated for a sack, Whitehair takes a holding call, White has a brutal 3rd down drop, and the offense looks bad.

-The protection was bad against a good front.

-I continued to be totally underwhelmed by Kevin White. On the long throw I did not think he adjusted and came back to the ball, the 3rd down drop was brutal and a drive killer, and then he disappeared. Hoge pointed out and Anthony Miller was pulled well beyond White and that should tell us what the depth chart is. It would be nice to do something/anything.

-Javon Wims moved up the depth chart. The drop was bad, but he had a nice catch and it was interesting with him in the slot because of that incredible size.

-Adam Shaheen had a nice day. The guy has some really soft hands, but it was the quickness and speed in his routes and after the catch that was awesome to see. What an additional weapon when your in-line TE can threaten in the passing game. Shaheen is going to draw the worst cover guy when all the weapons are on the field.

-I am not going to read too much into the Daniel Brown and Ben Braunacker getting a ton of run. I think one of them is going to make the team, but what I took away from this was how interesting, aggressive and vertical Nagy attacks teams with the TE position. They are all over the field, they are attacking vertical and there are a ton of wrinkles.

-Bobbie Massie just continues to ask to be replaced. I am not sure there is anyone that can do it right now, but at best he looks serviceable.

-Cody Whitehair did not look sharp. Bad snap, holding call, and I think it might be time to talk about Whitehair at LG and Daniels at C.

-Rough day for Eric Kush.

-I thought Charles Leno was fine against some good rushers. I do not think Leno is going to be the issue on the line. I think that will be Massie.

-James Daniels looked good. He was stout in the passing game and had nice awareness on a 3rd quarter stunt. I would like to see a little more violence in his hands, but he has such a strong base he is difficult to move back. In the run game I loved what I saw when he was on the move. He had a couple of pulls where he peeled back to pick up a run through LB and it was very nice. He had some nice drive blocks in the run game when they went to the inside zone. Starter sooner rather than later.

-Rashard Coward continues to impress me. In the run game you have to live with some serious wiffs, but when he gets into his guy he moves people. On the goal line he has a serious push on a down block. Coward continued to look solid in the pass game against a 3rd round pick in Hubbard and a 2nd round pick in Willis. He does a nice job of using his long arms to take the rusher wide of the passer. He had better footwork and base then the HOF game.

-Check down Chase Daniel is painful to watch. He is John Fox's ideal QB.

-Tyler Bray had a nice day and I like that he throws downfield and lets the WRs and TEs work. At least you are giving a look for the offense. I think Bray may have some value to keep around, especially if he runs scout team with that level of aggression.

Windy you can’t say the offense looks bad, it’s preseason and doesn’t mean anything. 

31 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Windy you can’t say the offense looks bad, it’s preseason and doesn’t mean anything. 

Classic overreaction to preseason football.  I mean Trubisky and the starting offense played a grand total of 8 snaps.  And this was a starting offense missing key players like Howard, ARob, and Turbo Taylor.

Bears also have 5 preseason games this year, which means you are going to want to protect your starters a bit more than usual. Again preseason is mainly for the backups and fringe players who are trying to make the cut and for teams to scout other players who may be cut loose.

I won't and never will sweat it when they lose preseason games or don't come out firing on all cylinders in August. 

47 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Classic overreaction to preseason football.  I mean Trubisky and the starting offense played a grand total of 8 snaps.  And this was a starting offense missing key players like Howard, ARob, and Turbo Taylor.

Bears also have 5 preseason games this year, which means you are going to want to protect your starters a bit more than usual. Again preseason is mainly for the backups and fringe players who are trying to make the cut and for teams to scout other players who may be cut loose.

I won't and never will sweat it when they lose preseason games or don't come out firing on all cylinders in August. 

Top you can’t use 3 starters being absent as an excuse on 8/9. The offense must produce and run all kinds of snazzy plays asap!

9_9

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Top you can’t use 3 starters being absent as an excuse on 8/9. The offense must produce and run all kinds of snazzy plays asap!

9_9

Fine so I won’t have a ******* opinion that they looked bad for their first series. Everything is all fine, they played great because they didn’t have their a few of the starters in. 

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Fine so I won’t have a ******* opinion that they looked bad for their first series. Everything is all fine, they played great because they didn’t have their a few of the starters in. 

They were missing 27% of their starters. Their starting RG played 3 or 4 plays. Yeah, teams who don’t run their actual offense and are without their actual players tend to struggle.

35 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

@beardown3231 and @blkwdw13 both of you need to cut out the insults.  You can disagree and debate without calling each other morons and idiots.

When I get called a moron for having my opinion and nothing gets said until I respond then I don’t care. It’s always the same on this site rules get to be a chosen on how they are enforced. 

On 8/9/2018 at 7:07 PM, Epyon said:

I don't understand that lowering the head penalty... What exactly is the defender supposed to do if the ball carrier goes that low... He tried getting under the ball carrier 

They will not call this penalty as much when the regular season begins. Only the real blatant penalties.

Things I liked: Adam Shaheen, Daniel Brown, Ryan Nall, Tyler Bray, Kasim Edebali (who I completely forgot was on the team until a few days ago), James Daniels

Things I didn't like: Marcus Cooper (go away), John Timu, John Franklin III

Not much to say about the 1s with such a small sample size - thought Floyd looked good, our LBs look so vulnerable when it's Timu and Anderson out there, good to get the pick six for a defense who are focusing on getting more interceptions. Really pleased to see Shaheen step up and make some plays after it was sort of expected of him with no Sims. Would have liked to see players who impressed last week (Fitts, Wims) stack a couple of performances together but they're never going to be the best players on the field every week, hopefully we can just continue to see positive trends from them for the rest of preseason. If Edebali continues to play well too and Lynch can't get on the field then it's not rocket science as to who makes the team.

Also, I have never wanted a player to succeed more than Kevin White, drops like that break my heart haha. Get them all out of the way in preseason Kev, that's the way to do it.

18 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Things I liked: Adam Shaheen, Daniel Brown, Ryan Nall, Tyler Bray, Kasim Edebali (who I completely forgot was on the team until a few days ago), James Daniels

Things I didn't like: Marcus Cooper (go away), John Timu, John Franklin III

Not much to say about the 1s with such a small sample size - thought Floyd looked good, our LBs look so vulnerable when it's Timu and Anderson out there, good to get the pick six for a defense who are focusing on getting more interceptions. Really pleased to see Shaheen step up and make some plays after it was sort of expected of him with no Sims. Would have liked to see players who impressed last week (Fitts, Wims) stack a couple of performances together but they're never going to be the best players on the field every week, hopefully we can just continue to see positive trends from them for the rest of preseason. If Edebali continues to play well too and Lynch can't get on the field then it's not rocket science as to who makes the team.

Also, I have never wanted a player to succeed more than Kevin White, drops like that break my heart haha. Get them all out of the way in preseason Kev, that's the way to do it.

Shaheen looks physically different to me. He was a bit doughy last year but looks more streamlined in the waist and arms more defined. His movement seems to have progressed as well. IDK if agility drills or what but he is moving like an athlete more than just a giant sprinter.

Cooper is the Rex Grossman of CBs. He has ad a small stretch where he played really well, then just straight garbage otherwise.

I want White to succeed too, more than just a homer rationale. I despise guys who squander their talents like Manziel and JaMarcus Russell. But guys who always bust their *** and just have unfortunate circumstances like White will always get the underdog cheer from me. Like Shea though, after getting burned due to the same issues you sometimes just have to kind of sigh and accept when these issues arise again. Maybe he can get the Zach Miller effect and make a few memorable seasons after repetitive injury-derailed seasons.

Brown has REALLY impressed me with his cuts in his routes. Makes me wonder if he can just take on the X role as a WR. He would never be able to become a fulltime WR IMO but might be able to be a better one than Gentry at least. He could be a plus blocker on CBs for the run game and few CBs are going to be able to press him. If a LB goes out there then you have an advantage in the pass game with him most likely and that means one less person to help in the run game against Howard. Just a thought, but still.

One of my biggest takeaways from this game, Safety might be the deepest position on our defense right now.  I think we have 4 guys who all seem to be playing well and I can't remember the last time I felt like we had 2 NFL level starters at that position before last season.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:25 PM, blkwdw13 said:

I don’t think anyone is saying the opposite. I would have made the same comment about context if we scored 14 points on the first two drives. It’s a minuscule sample size with different personnel than we’ll see in week 1 and isn’t really reflective of anything. Guys could have been better. I’m just saying it’s not a big deal either way IMO.

Specific to the 8 plays, a guy not likely to be our starting LG (at least not for long) got beat by an all pro DT. A guy who may not be our starting center had a bad snap and a hold against the same all pro. And a WR who is only on the roster because of his contract and who will probably won’t see a ton of reps in real games dropped a pass. It wasn’t a great sequence, but I’m not gonna get super upset about it when context is applied. I think it’s important here. If you don’t then that’s fine. Nobody said you shouldn’t have your own opinion. I just don’t share that opinion. 

Archived