Chicago Bears @ Cincinnati Bengals Pre Season

blkwdw13

On 2018-08-10 at 1:54 PM, topwop1 said:

Classic overreaction to preseason football.  I mean Trubisky and the starting offense played a grand total of 8 snaps.  And this was a starting offense missing key players like Howard, ARob, and Turbo Taylor.

Bears also have 5 preseason games this year, which means you are going to want to protect your starters a bit more than usual. Again preseason is mainly for the backups and fringe players who are trying to make the cut and for teams to scout other players who may be cut loose.

I won't and never will sweat it when they lose preseason games or don't come out firing on all cylinders in August. 

Again, didn’t say the offense was bad.

They aren’t really running the offense.

Massie, Kush, and White were bad and they play offense.

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Again, didn’t say the offense was bad.

They aren’t really running the offense.

Massie, Kush, and White were bad and they play offense.

By week 6, Daniels will be starting over Kush & I’d bet White won’t be playing many snaps at all.

20 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

By week 6, Daniels will be starting over Kush & I’d bet White won’t be playing many snaps at all.

They drafted a college center who was a borderline first round talent.  Play him at center.  

At some point soon it’s going to be Whitehair at guard and Daniels at center. Why not do it now?  Daniels can’t make the calls?  Whitehair did. By all accounts Daniels is a smart kid.  And there is no reason Whitehair or Long couldn’t make the calls themselves or help   

Its just wasting reps.  Maybe they want him to earn the position so they start Kush.  All well and good but you retard his development by not letting him learn in the fire and get the necessary reps. 

Why Gase announced at the draft that Daniels was going to play guard and that was that I don’t know. Seems stupid to me. 

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

They drafted a college center who was a borderline first round talent.  Play him at center.  

At some point soon it’s going to be Whitehair at guard and Daniels at center. Why not do it now?  Daniels can’t make the calls?  Whitehair did. By all accounts Daniels is a smart kid.  And there is no reason Whitehair or Long couldn’t make the calls themselves or help   

Its just wasting reps.  Maybe they want him to earn the position so they start Kush.  All well and good but you retard his development by not letting him learn in the fire and get the necessary reps. 

Why Gase announced at the draft that Daniels was going to play guard and that was that I don’t know. Seems stupid to me. 

What’s being overlooked is that starting Daniels at center and shuffling Whitehair to guard is two position moves. Letting Daniels beat out Kush for LG is one move.

The Bears are clearly trying to limit o-line shuffling, which was rampant during Fox’s entire tenure. Making two position moves in mid-August would be more of the same.

2 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

What’s being overlooked is that starting Daniels at center and shuffling Whitehair to guard is two position moves. Letting Daniels beat out Kush for LG is one move.

The Bears are clearly trying to limit o-line shuffling, which was rampant during Fox’s entire tenure. Making two position moves in mid-August would be more of the same.

As long as Whitehair gets the snaps down IDC who is playing where. Both are athletes, and IMO put Massie as the undeniable weak link. If you can day that, then you have a pretty good OL. 

Get them where they are supposed to be long term now, look at upgrading the RT next off-season. 

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

As long as Whitehair gets the snaps down IDC who is playing where. Both are athletes, and IMO put Massie as the undeniable weak link. If you can day that, then you have a pretty good OL. 

Get them where they are supposed to be long term now, look at upgrading the RT next off-season. 

If Coward keeps ascending the way I think he has done since last season, he might be our RT next season...

As for Daniels/Whitehair... I don't really care, I just want the best 5 locked into one spot and building experience together. Kush, IMO, shouldn't be in there but Hiestand is old-school.

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

If Coward keeps ascending the way I think he has done since last season, he might be our RT next season...

As for Daniels/Whitehair... I don't really care, I just want the best 5 locked into one spot and building experience together. Kush, IMO, shouldn't be in there but Hiestand is old-school.

That is a big stretch though. It would be awesome to see Coward be our new Big Cat Williams. Even if he is still looking awesome in practice I still want competition for him to be brought in. Only way I want to hand it to him is if Massie goes down or is replaced and Coward just owns the spot for the bulk of the season.

Same. Get the best 5 on the field, let them lock up their spot and get a lot of cohesion with the guys beside them.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 3:58 AM, Sugashane said:

I want White to succeed too, more than just a homer rationale. I despise guys who squander their talents like Manziel and JaMarcus Russell. But guys who always bust their *** and just have unfortunate circumstances like White will always get the underdog cheer from me. Like Shea though, after getting burned due to the same issues you sometimes just have to kind of sigh and accept when these issues arise again. Maybe he can get the Zach Miller effect and make a few memorable seasons after repetitive injury-derailed seasons.

Yeah I'm with you, it annoys me how people really get on his back, I get it's frustrating but it's not his fault. If they were soft tissue injuries like Alshon was getting all the time (who looks to be starting 2018 on PUP - SHOCKER) then you know it's something to do with not taking care of his body, but White's have been broken bones which are just bad luck. He's never going to be the player he could have been, what player would be after only being able to play five games in the first three years of his career? Just hope he does get some kind of production.

Just imagine a deep bomb to Kevin White as time expires to win the Week 1 game in Lambeau... I think I'd spontaneously combust.

On August 13, 2018 at 7:11 PM, IronMike84 said:

I'm trying to avoid position moves by starting where you are going.  

On August 14, 2018 at 9:35 AM, G08 said:

Ive been saying for decades NFL needs to have some kind of developmental options since they cant do it in team very well due to limited reps and time.   Two biggest positions that need it are OL and QB. 

QB reasons are obvious.   As to OL my thinking is at every level of football the better big man gets put on the DL.   If teams could draft good college DL and successfully convert them to OL the on field product would be much better.  TEs can fit that bill too.  The long time Cleveland great, can't believe name is escaping me right now, was converted TE in college.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Ive been saying for decades NFL needs to have some kind of developmental options since they cant do it in team very well due to limited reps and time.   Two biggest positions that need it are OL and QB. 

QB reasons are obvious.   As to OL my thinking is at every level of football the better big man gets put on the DL.   If teams could draft good college DL and successfully convert them to OL the on field product would be much better.  TEs can fit that bill too.  The long time Cleveland great, can't believe name is escaping me right now, was converted TE in college.

Joe Thomas?

If NFL had developmental program some college basketball forwards, several of whom are better athletes than their NFL or CFB counterparts, could be made into TE's and guards could be WR's/CB's.

Those not good enough for NBA anyway.  Which is like 99% of them.  

I am sure college and miner league baseball has some NFL caliber athletes in it as well.  Guys without baseball skill to make a major league club, but athletic ability to play in NFL.

I coached football for kids a lot of years.  If we got every local basketball and baseball kid out for football we would have been near undefeated every year.  We missed out on about 30-50% of top 10% of local athletes in given years.  Most everybody does, only worse now with concussion stuff.     

Of course you would have to know some football.  Why so many foreigners can't make it in NFL despite having ability.   You have to know the game a bit, but maybe even those guys could have made it with a proper developmental program or minor league.

Draft system in NFL gives them no incentive to do it.  Why develop a guy for someone else to poach?  How would you develop him with no minor league anyway?  Or why bother when no one else can do it?   

Archived