Rams pre-season thread

RamRod

On 8/23/2018 at 11:10 AM, StLunatic88 said:

I actually went and took a look around the league of who could be cut, and to be honest, Matt Moore might be the best option at this point. But remember he is now 34, so I wonder what kind of shape he is in. just for reference;

• AFC East - Doubtful that BB would move on from Brian Hoyer at this point, The Bills probably keep all 3 guys, I would love to pry away Josh McCown now that Darnold looked so good but they probably move Teddy instead (too rich), but the fins wont keep all of David Fales/Brock Osweiler/Bryce Petty and depending on who they might be a nice get.
  • AFC West - Do you want anything to do with Paxton Lynch? Andy Reid probably hangs on to Chad Henne but maybe Matt McGlion is an upgrade. Geno Smith probably sticks in LA and dont really want Cardale Jones. And Im not sure the Raider drop either Conner Cook or EJ Manuel with Carr's health track record
  • AFC South - Surprisingly Houston doesnt have much at backup QB (Brandon Weedon). Colts probably hang onto Jacoby Brissett and would want a ransom for him anyway. Wouldnt hate Cody Kellser, but doubt the Jags let him go. And the Titans likely hang onto Blaine Gabbert.
  • AFC North - RG3 has been mentioned, probably need to trade for him. If for some reason the Bengals let Matt Barkley go maybe him. Id keep an eye on Drew Stanton being dropped by the Browns. And with Rudolph in Pitt, maybe Landry Jones becomes expendable.
  • NFC East - Dallas is barren behind Dak. Giants will hang onto Joe Webb. The Eagles have a complete mess with their QB depth chart, so now they probably hang onto Nate Sudfeld, and I dont want to bring in Christian Hackenberg. But id probably be interested in either of the Washington backups, Colt McCoy/Kevin Hogan.
  • NFC West - Surprisingly our division has almost no Backup QBs, much less ones that might be cut. if by chance they feel good about Sam & Rosen, Mike Glennon might be cut loose from the Cards. Other than that... maybe the Hawks move on from Austin Davis, but is he an upgrade?
  • NFC South - Much like our division, every team here mostly needs the backups they have, or also need an upgrade like us. But would the Saints part ways with Tom Savage? Thats about your only option here
  • NFC North - The Bears will for sure hang onto Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray doesnt really do it for me. Not even sure what Matt Cassel has left in the tank, but I bet he sticks in Detroit. Trevor Siemian is the type of backup we need, because as a contender the Vikings were smart to get him. One of the big places to look is Green Bay as Brett Hundley and Deshone Kizer fight it out to hold the clipboard behind Rodgers

So as stated up front, Matt Moore might be the most enticing option at this point. If not him Id say were looking at throwing a future draft pick for RG3, Hundley/Kizer or Landry Jones. Or we wait to try and snag Osweiler/Fales, McGloin, Stanton, Hogan, Glennon, or pry a team makes a dumb decision over a younger guy with potential.

I'm not about trading any kind of draft pick (and I'm of the opinion that fans overvalue draft picks) for a backup QB.  We're ride-or-die with Goff until, at minimum, he's up for an extension and I'd sooner stick a vet backup behind him that can continue to further his development than a young guy at this point.  Moreover, I'd be looking at vets with existing knowledge of the Gruden/Lil Shanny system that McVay riffs off of because that's going to help when the guy is on the sidelines going over stills with Goff and in the QB room and what-not.  If the Falcons elect to keep Benkert of Grayson (I believe they usually only roster 2 QB's and stash another on the PS and Grayson doesn't have PS eligibility this year), Garrett Grayson's an option.  I doubt it happens, but if Josh McCown gets released by the Jets, I'm all over that.  This will probably turn up some noses too (and I don't expect out FO to go out of their way to get him), but I'd take TJ Yates over Mannion at this point.

14 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Starters out again. Dunno how I feel about that. Would like a few reps with cooks and Goff 

Cooks and Goff are getting plenty of practice reps. Both guys are professionals. They'll be fine.

On this one, I think McVay is a bit too precautious, injury could happen everywhere. Ok rest Gurley, but Goff  sit out because Havenstein was hurt in practice and he doesn't have confidence on Havenstein back up. It tells a lot about the confidence on the back up Oline...

Well even Billycheat is not as conservative as McVay on preseason...

Brady played, Big Ben played, Rodgers played even Luck played on preseason. 

Some starters are out not all of them. Last few weeks it's been just Brown and Ebukam starting and there will be more out there. Not worried about it in the least, McVay will get them some game time next week and we'll be fine going into week 1.

Man Kelly has looked good with the time he's been given. I don't remember who it was but somebody on this forum was complaining about the pick saying he was too slow to play in the NFL. He looks anything but slow out there. We have a nice mix behind Gurley with him and Brown IMO.

I will add too that the Rams are playing the Raiders Week 1. Dont get their defense confused as the Vikings or even the Broncos. Then reports are that Mack could miss regular season games so it is likely he wont play in the game. So it will be the perfect game for the Rams offense because the Raiders defense wont be threatening. I expect the Rams to come out Week 1 and put up 30pts against the Raiders and show all of us that they didnt need preseason snaps to come out Week 1 and be in mid season form.

Archived