Which team currently faces a 2005-06 Colts-Patriots rivalry/statement game/"must win now" dilemma?

Championshiporbust

In the early 2000s, the Peyton Manning-led Indianapolis Colts had a huge colossus to a Super Bowl championship: Tom Brady-Bill Belichick-led New England Patriots. 

From the 2003 AFC Championship Game and  the 2004 AFC Divisional Game, the Manning-led Colts could not beat the Brady-led Patriots in the playoffs, until on Sunday, Jan. 21, 2007, the Colts took AFC dominance over the Patriots, coming back from a 21-3 deficit to win the AFC Championship 38-34. 

Manning and Dungy went on to win Super Bowl XLI over the NFC Champion Chicago Bears. Manning's first Super Bowl championship.

Which NFL team currently faces a team in a playoff monkey that they need to get off their back, immediately to win a Super Bowl championship NOW?

From the New York Times:

"INDIANAPOLIS, Jan. 21 — To reach the Super Bowl, to finally fill in the blanks on the glittering résumés that lacked postseason glory, even the Indianapolis Colts conceded it was only appropriate that they would have to vanquish their greatest tormentors.

The New England Patriots had used the Colts as doormats on two of their three Super Bowl runs, stepping over them on the way to constructing a dynasty. But Sunday night, like the kids who had had enough of being beaten up by the class bullies, the Colts fought back. They rallied from an 18-point deficit, then traded scores with the Patriots in a thrilling second half to win the American Football Conference title, 38-34, and advance to Super Bowl XLI on Feb. 4 in Miami."

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/22/sports/football/22afc.html

Which current NFL team faces this dilemma?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Indianapolis_Colts_season#Conference_Championship

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/jan/19/sports/sp-afc19

http://articles.latimes.com/print/2005/jan/17/sports/sp-afc17

http://www.espn.com/espn/print?id=2217265

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-afc-idUSSP28006220070122

yeah it’s the steelers over the pats... say if the pats lose to jacksonville in the divisional and the steelers go on to beat them in the AFCCG then win it all in the SB, you’ll have a cadre of dumb takes along the lines of “but they didn’t beat new england, so they don’t count”

Texans over the Pats would be another one.

2017 36-33 loss in NE

2016 27-0 loss in NE and a 34-16 playoff loss in NE

2015 27-6 loss in Houston

2013 34-31 loss in Houston

2012 42-14 loss in NE (The Letterman Jacket MNF Game) and a 41-28 playoff loss in NE

connor-barwin-antonio-smith.jpg?w=400&h=

5 hours ago, scar988 said:

I'd love to see the Falcons just smash the Eagles week 1.

You ain’t kidding there!  I don’t think it will be that easy because it’s in Philly where the Falcons never seem to play well, but they absolutely have the overall talent to take it to the Eagles like they did in the playoffs last year.  They had plenty of missed opportunities in that game on offense and the defense did better against them than either the Vikings with their “amazing” defense or the Pats.  It’s a bit of a lucky break for both teams to be facing each other in the first game of the season as most teams need a few weeks to settle in and establish their identities, so really it could go either way.

But of course I’d be thrilled if they just smoked the Eagles and got some payback!

1 hour ago, megatechpc said:
6 hours ago, scar988 said:

I'd love to see the Falcons just smash the Eagles week 1.

You ain’t kidding there!  I don’t think it will be that easy because it’s in Philly where the Falcons never seem to play well, but they absolutely have the overall talent to take it to the Eagles like they did in the playoffs last year.  They had plenty of missed opportunities in that game on offense and the defense did better against them than either the Vikings with their “amazing” defense or the Pats.  It’s a bit of a lucky break for both teams to be facing each other in the first game of the season as most teams need a few weeks to settle in and establish their identities, so really it could go either way.

But of course I’d be thrilled if they just smoked the Eagles and got some payback!

It's a weird series, it just seems like whenever it matters things always go the Eagles' way...even the few wins the Falcons have over the Eagles the last 20 years...it was some of our best games in crappy seasons. There is a thing up here with some people that think it's a "Matt Ryan just can't play well when he comes home" thing...I don't know about that but it's weirdly comforting pulling the Falcons cause we have that history, we seem to just always get your worst game in some way.

I don't think the Eagles have a rival like those teams, not many do.

But I think we have to be able to beat the Seahawks at some point, we've beaten them once in the last 7 tries and on a current 4 game losing streak of some of our worst games.

Eagles and Packers...only win vs them in the Rodgers era was when he was hurt in 2013, lost to them 5 times beyond that. 

It doesn't really qualify but the Eagles seem to always play their dumbest most frustrating brand of football against the Bengals 0-3-1 in the last 4 tries, the jewel in it all is the "I didn't know it could be tied' moment by McNabb...what an idiot...saw it when going through the teams and made me just embarrassed and disgusted all over again ha

On 10/08/2018 at 5:54 AM, Shady Slim said:

yeah it’s the steelers over the pats... say if the pats lose to jacksonville in the divisional and the steelers go on to beat them in the AFCCG then win it all in the SB, you’ll have a cadre of dumb takes along the lines of “but they didn’t beat new england, so they don’t count”

Oh we've had that every time we've won the SB. There's always SOME good team that you didn't get to face that supposedly negates the validity of your conquest. 

Archived