Preseason: Around the League

Klomp

43 minutes ago, Klomp said:

It's just a different mindset.

He doesn't need to be a high 60s completion percentage guy. Honestly, I'm going to get ripped for "comparing" him to these guys, but it's really no different a mindset than John Elway or Brett Favre had. Did they not have football intelligence?

Won’t rip you for saying it at all. Those are two guys who made it work, and perhaps Allen could one day join that club. In the case of Elway, he cracked 60% passing accuracy in college - Favre will forever be the outlier. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Washington fans: “Kirk Cousins was terrible for us in the red zone”

Washington goes 0/2 in the red zone. 

I was just listening to Matthew Berry's fantasy preview of the Vikings (I was really bored). Apparently he's a WAS fan, so he's got a pretty negative opinion of Kirk. I think the front office has brainwashed the fan base out there.

5 hours ago, Klomp said:

I was just listening to Matthew Berry's fantasy preview of the Vikings (I was really bored). Apparently he's a WAS fan, so he's got a pretty negative opinion of Kirk. I think the front office has brainwashed the fan base out there.

Wisdom of the crowds. Redskins fans have been through it. Maybe they are not the ones that are wrong about Kirk Cousins. Now that Cousins is the Vikings QB and still in the honeymoon phase with the team we are all filled with hope.

However, many Redskins fans didn't think highly of Cousins. I've seen some that expect their team to be better with Alex Smith....be better with Alex Smith? This is somewhat attributable to them being in their own honeymoon phase with Smith but also attributable to what they have seen from Kirk Cousins.

I really hope Cousins works out for the Vikings but the wisdom of the crowd that knew him best should not be dismissed. It should at least raise some concerns that we ought to be braced for something possibly different than we are hoping we have.

46 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Wisdom of the crowds. Redskins fans have been through it. Maybe they are not the ones that are wrong about Kirk Cousins. Now that Cousins is the Vikings QB and still in the honeymoon phase with the team we are all filled with hope.

However, many Redskins fans didn't think highly of Cousins. I've seen some that expect their team to be better with Alex Smith....be better with Alex Smith? This is somewhat attributable to them being in their own honeymoon phase with Smith but also attributable to what they have seen from Kirk Cousins.

I really hope Cousins works out for the Vikings but the wisdom of the crowd that knew him best should not be dismissed. It should at least raise some concerns that we ought to be braced for something possibly different than we are hoping we have.

Honestly if I could take Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins if one is just talking one or two years, I would take Smith based on his better athletic ability and more experience, not to mention he is cheaper.  Cousins has a little bit better arm but is not as athletic, cannot throw on the move as well and does not have the same experience Smith does.  Long term Cousins could be the answer and is a younger player, maybe with a better cast around him will help.  But like they said in the Redskins game last year Smith runs better, and honestly with their run game his ability to bootleg and move in the pocket is far more valuable than Cousins who is more just a pocket guy.  His emotions seem a little erratic at times as well, Smith is more cool and calm, will see how it works.  Cousins sure looked great in preseason but that is sometimes not hard to do.

I will say this what I said posted in the Redskins form.

Damn what a impressive pass rush they have potentially.  Especially if Allen can stay healthy, him with Payne could be a great DL combo, and could move Payne into more of a NT spot or have Kerrigan or McPhee as a down DE then move Allen next to Payne and take out the NT and they play more a 4/3 DT spot.  Really solid looking front that is for sure, Settle flashed a little as well for a rookie also.  

OLB Kerrigan / Anderson

DE Allen

NT Hood / Settle

DE Payne

OLB P. Smith / McPhee

And cool they are going old school, have one hell of a stable of RBs even with Guice out.  Good old school football run game and Smith should work better at QB in terms of his ability to roll out on bootleg passes.  Could argue they might have one of the deepest RB cores in the NFL with Kelley, Guice, Perine, Carter, Bibbs and Thompson...but sure three or four will not even make the team, Guice being out will open something up though for Bibbs maybe will see.  Is crazy deep though and will see which can become a star, that is the only thing they are missing is one to take their play to the next level.

A large part of the Redskins' fans view on Cousins is likely directly attributable to his contract standoff with the team. NFL fans (as a group) are fickle when guys won't take a discount to play with their team. For some reason, they'll side with the billionaires over the millionaires who end up with oatmeal for brains every time. They'll tell themselves that Alex Smith is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady just because he wanted to be there and didn't ask for a market busting contract. 

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I've always had concerns about Cousins, because even in the few times that the Vikings had played against him, I didn't come away immensely impressed.  He is an upgrade on Keenum's talent and Bradford's health, but I'm not sure he's more than a top 10-15 QB.  If they could have guaranteed that Teddy was going to come back from injury well, I'm not sure there would, in the end, be much difference between Cousins and Teddy, outside of a slightly stronger arm from Kirk.  

I hope it ends up well, but my expectations aren't that he's going to be elite, but with the defense that they have, they don't need him to be...they just need him to be better than what they had.  

Archived