Preseason: Around the League

Klomp

7 minutes ago, RpMc said:

So could Jamarcus Russell

And? One players failures shouldn't be used against another player. They are two different players.

Michael Vick couldn't throw accurate passes. I guess that means Lamar Jackson will never be able to either.

I'm just poking at you big guy.  However, there are a ton of examples of strong armed players who never amounted to anything as quarterbacks because their decision making and other attributes never developed along with their arm, and they came from much higher levels of competition than Allen did.

Not hitting that 60% college accuracy is concerning for both Allen and Jackson.

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

So could Jamarcus Russell

Jamarcus could not move in the pocket as well as Josh Allen can.  He is an impressive athlete and even more impressive throwing on the move.  Jamarcus, you got him off his spot and made him move, he was terrible and had poor mechanics.  Sure Allen still needs some work but honestly it would be a shock if he turned into a Jamarcus Russell type player, I feel Allen has better leadership potential and is a harder worker than Jamarcus.  Just look at where Allen came from, he had to work to get on a college team, a JUCO college for that matter to start out.

In my opinion, arm strength is one of the least important traits a quarterback needs. 

1. Accuracy 2. Football Intelligence 3. Pocket Awareness 4. Overall Mobility 5. Leadership 6. Arm Strength

51 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

In my opinion, arm strength is one of the least important traits a quarterback needs. 

1. Accuracy 2. Football Intelligence 3. Pocket Awareness 4. Overall Mobility 5. Leadership 6. Arm Strength

Traits a QB needs in order to do what? Just make it into the league? Become a spot starter? Or entrench themselves as one of the best in the league?

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Traits a QB needs in order to do what? Just make it into the league? Become a spot starter? Or entrench themselves as one of the best in the league?

One of the best in the league.  I think of the big 3...Rodgers, Brady and Brees...Rodgers has the strongest arm of the three, but it's not his top quality...

Rodgers (1) Accuracy (2) Pocket Awareness (3) Overall Mobility (4) Arm Strength (5) Leadership (6) Intelligence

Brady (1) Intelligence (2) Leadership (3) Pocket Awareness (4) Accuracy (5) Arm Strength (6) Overall Mobility

Brees (1) Leadership (2) Intelligence (3) Accuracy (4) Pocket Awareness (5) Mobility (6) Arm Strength

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

One of the best in the league.  I think of the big 3...Rodgers, Brady and Brees...Rodgers has the strongest arm of the three, but it's not his top quality...

Rodgers (1) Accuracy (2) Pocket Awareness (3) Overall Mobility (4) Arm Strength (5) Leadership (6) Intelligence

Brady (1) Intelligence (2) Leadership (3) Pocket Awareness (4) Accuracy (5) Arm Strength (6) Overall Mobility

Brees (1) Leadership (2) Intelligence (3) Accuracy (4) Pocket Awareness (5) Mobility (6) Arm Strength

OK fair. But as much hoopla as Allen's arm gets, I think his other traits get unfairly ignored. This isn't some lumbering plodder who is dumb as a rock back there. He's very mobile, very smart and a great leader from everything I've heard.

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

his intelligence doesn't shine through when he makes poor decisions with the football and his legs.  He's got a LONG way to go, but he's got time to get there as well.

It's just a different mindset.

He doesn't need to be a high 60s completion percentage guy. Honestly, I'm going to get ripped for "comparing" him to these guys, but it's really no different a mindset than John Elway or Brett Favre had. Did they not have football intelligence?

Archived