Preseason: Around the League

Klomp

With news of McCarron's collarbone injury, Allen takes another step closer to becoming the starter.

While I'd be excited for him to get the opportunity, the BUF opening schedule doesn't really excite me. I don't know if I want to see him starting in Week 3 at US Bank Stadium.

Allen took a nice step between weeks 1 and 2, but, honestly, there’s no way I’d start Allen behind that o-line. 

Peterman has looked very capable, so he’d be the one I’d feed to the wolves. Bad o-lines can be the death knell for a young QB. Especially for a QB like Allen who’s still learning to/working on speeding up the mental processing of his game. 

Patrick Mahomes gave a preview of what he can do in Friday night’s preseason game, hitting Tyreek Hill for a beautiful touchdown bomb. According to the NFL’s NextGen Stats, that pass traveled 68.6 yards in the air, which is farther than any touchdown pass traveled in the air in any game in 2017.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/18/patrick-mahomes-td-pass-to-tyreek-hill-traveled-farther-than-any-td-pass-in-2017/

Allen starting would be incredibly detrimental do his development, IMO. Physically he has all the tools you want, but he’s still behind in processing the game. The blindside hit he took last night was a mental error on his part, and it’s clear that he’s only being asked to half-field read at this point.

i think you stunt his possible development if you start him now. 

On 8/18/2018 at 11:59 AM, SemperFeist said:

I would bet a lot of money that Gordon’s absence was to avoid the HBO film crew. 

When you’re dealing with the demons that he is, would you want a film crew putting your life under the microscope?

Won't he still be on a few episodes of Hard Knocks? The last episode airs 9/4 I believe. 

Archived