Sign in to follow this  
BaltimoreTerp

2018/2019 EPL Thread

I was pleased with that start for Liverpool.  Now if only I hadn't been keeping track on the ESPN app and actually watching it. That was probably my fault though, I could have just gotten out of bed.

On 8/12/2018 at 11:17 AM, PAW said:

City is going to be even better this year with Mendy healthy.  Making Arsenal look absolutely terrible. 

Their defense is absolutely terrible.

10 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I was pleased with that start for Liverpool.  Now if only I hadn't been keeping track on the ESPN app and actually watching it. That was probably my fault though, I could have just gotten out of bed.

Solid all around effort. Looks like the team that will challenge City the most.

15 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Their defense is absolutely terrible.

No top six club's anything is absolutely terrible fwiw. It's not good for a team trying to make the CL spots, but the hyperbole we use when we talk about these top-4 contending teams as "terrible" is always extreme. Chelsea's attack wasn't terrible last year, Manchester United's defense wasn't terrible last year, and pre-VVD Liverpool's defense wasn't terrible last year. Arsenal's defense is certainly the worst of the top 6, but still isn't terrible. Bournemouth's defense is terrible.

Edited by rcon14

On 8/12/2018 at 11:04 PM, dotmotion said:

Fabianski was the only reason West Ham didn't lose 6-0. Goalkeeper wasn't the issue. It was just a poor tactical set up from Pelligrini.

Fabiański is a far better keeper than Joe Hart. This isn't the same Flappyhandski from Arensal. I follow the Polish national team pretty closely and there have been many teams he's look the better keeper than Szczęsny. West Ham bad because West Ham is bad, not because they brought in a different keeper.

37 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

No top six club's anything is absolutely terrible fwiw. It's not good for a team trying to make the CL spots, but the hyperbole we use when we talk about these top-4 contending teams as "terrible" is always extreme. Chelsea's attack wasn't terrible last year, Manchester United's defense wasn't terrible last year, and pre-VVD Liverpool's defense wasn't terrible last year. Arsenal's defense is certainly the worst of the top 6, but still isn't terrible. Bournemouth's defense is terrible.

Uhhhh, Pre-VVD Liverpool defense was in fact completely terrible. They're ability to score 3-4 goals a game just could save them at times.

5 hours ago, Imarobot said:

Uhhhh, Pre-VVD Liverpool defense was in fact completely terrible. They're ability to score 3-4 goals a game just could save them at times.

Their xGA/90 was 1.03 before VVD. So no, factually, they were not terrible.

5 hours ago, Imarobot said:

Fabiański is a far better keeper than Joe Hart. This isn't the same Flappyhandski from Arensal. I follow the Polish national team pretty closely and there have been many teams he's look the better keeper than Szczęsny. West Ham bad because West Ham is bad, not because they brought in a different keeper.

Fabianski is a lot better than Hart. West Ham got steamrolled by Liverpool and they won't be the last. I don't think there's any reason to panic for them. They ran into a title-contending machine in their first game with virtually an entirely new squad and a new manager. They'll probably be boringly mid-table.