EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

12 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

The most rawly emotional win in many ways since... Maybe the 2014 FA Cup final? What a game, what a derby, what a win, what a team. It's been wonderful falling back in love with Arsenal this season. 

Lucas is my Hero.

Mourinho really has just gone full Tony Pulis at this point. Don't even know wtf that game was I just watched. Feels like 2 points drops with those awful goals conceded and Auba and Mikhi missing those sitters. And given how consistently bad we've been at Old Trafford over the past decade, completely bizarre to see United set up hoping for a draw. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

On 05/12/2018 at 10:41 PM, BaltimoreTerp said:

Mourinho really has just gone full Tony Pulis at this point. Don't even know wtf that game was I just watched. Feels like 2 points drops with those awful goals conceded and Auba and Mikhi missing those sitters. And given how consistently bad we've been at Old Trafford over the past decade, completely bizarre to see United set up hoping for a draw. 

It's been Mourinho's mantra since he got here.

Zero growth.

Stifling youth.

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

Not really a surprise, though they absolutely have to punt Woodward as well. The squad is absolutely dire and it’s in no small part to Woodward’s inability to negotiate transfers effectively. 

Man U need a serious clear out and I feel for the manager who has to work with that squad and boardroom.

They'll need far more time than they’ll get.

• Like 1

As much as I want them to do the opposite, United need to get in a short term interim manager with a history with the club (Neville, Giggs, Butt) to see them through to the end of the season. If the results really pick up then run with them for the rest of the season, if not, go out in the summer and really commit to a new vision led by a new manager.

That could be anyone, but they need to A] Have the full support of the board (within financial restraints) and final say on transfers (If they want it) B] Have a vision to get the club back to the top.

3 hours ago, khodder said:

As much as I want them to do the opposite, United need to get in a short term interim manager with a history with the club (Neville, Giggs, Butt) to see them through to the end of the season. If the results really pick up then run with them for the rest of the season, if not, go out in the summer and really commit to a new vision led by a new manager.

That could be anyone, but they need to A] Have the full support of the board (within financial restraints) and final say on transfers (If they want it) B] Have a vision to get the club back to the top.

Harsh reality time, and this isn't so much coming from me as it is someone who pops up on pods I listen to who is a longtime United season ticket holder, but I certainly agree with him:

You can't just connect any old "hot, new name" with Manchester United and expect it to be a realistic hire.  Managers that are at the Eddie Howe tier simply aren't going to cut the mustard because there are bigger name clubs and then there are major international brands like Manchester United.  Moyes had the luxury of having Fergie's endorsement, but their board isn't going to go down that rabbit hole twice.  They're going to pursue (and one could definitely argue they're going to need) a manager who is both "a name" and can handle the weight of being the man in the dugout for a club the stature of United.  There's a part of me that wonders, given his lack of silverware achievements, if Poch doesn't even fall into that Eddie Howe tier.

Now, I'm speaking more to who they hire in the summer, but barring them somehow turning thing around to the point of winning the league or beating PSG in the CL Round of 16 en route to at least a semi-final, if not final, showing, whoever handles things from the remainder of the season forward is almost assuredly only going to be a rest-of-season caretaker.