EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

Rather disastrous midweek fixture episode for United. Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal all win. Like Ole has said, we're likely to have to win 5 of our last 6 to qualify for the Champions League which is very unlikely.

Oh well, we didn't have a prayer when Mourinho left so at least we've made a fight of it.

10 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Rather disastrous midweek fixture episode for United. Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal all win. Like Ole has said, we're likely to have to win 5 of our last 6 to qualify for the Champions League which is very unlikely.

Oh well, we didn't have a prayer when Mourinho left so at least we've made a fight of it.

Had this run of results occurred right at the start I don't think we would have batted an eyelid.

I think the fact that it comes off the back of such an impressive run of form it looks much worse.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UKTexans said:

Chelsea finally started Hudson-Odoi finally last night and the kid was impressive. Honestly can't believe Sarri has been successful with how stubborn he is.

It's one thing when a young player doesn't get starts because of quality in front of him (like Sancho at City), but it has been inexcusable for Sarri to play Willian and Pedro ahead of CHO in every league game these past few months.

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenal are going to take years off my life with this season.  Was definitely a foul (and a stupid one to commit) on Deeney, but I wouldn't have called that a straight red under any circumstance; impacted hugely by Torrera's diminutive height.  It's Troy Deeney though, so I really don't feel any remorse - as I imagine non-Arsenal fans don't feel any remorse about somewhat rash judgments going against Xhaka or Mustafi, or against Wilshere in previous seasons.

If our finishing was better the narrative on this match is entirely different, but sadly Auba and Mkhitaryan collectively fluffed easily what should have been 3-4 easy chances.

• Like 1

I really hope United waste no time with the Summer cull. As soon as we are mathematical unable to get top 4, I want to hear of players being sold. I like Ole and most of what he has said since he became our Manager, but words are just words - we need to see action. 

There isn't a single player above the age of 21 in our squad that I would mind leaving; what a sad state of affairs.

United were just outclassed in every area of the pitch and touchline. In truth, City barely got out of 2nd gear. For most of the first half they restricted Citys space and closed down really well. But then the closing down became less and less effective until it stopped. Gundogan shredded United once Fernandinho went off. City do it to most teams, but it was limp from United.

The state of Uniteds squad is pretty dire. Theres no United player who would make the City team. Only a handfull would make the match day squad. In terms of top 4, they arent too far off Arsenal and Chelsea (especially minus Hazard). But, a title challenge is a long way off.

Edited by kempus

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Does nobody want the 4th UCL spot?  From what I've seen of the Arsenal game, they were pretty poor too

Save a couple single-halves of a few assorted games, we've been completely crap on the road this entire season.  I went into this match figuring the best we could hope for at the Molyneux was a draw, I wasn't wrong.

11 hours ago, kempus said:

The state of Uniteds squad is pretty dire. Theres no United player who would make the City team. Only a handfull would make the match day squad. In terms of top 4, they arent too far off Arsenal and Chelsea (especially minus Hazard). But, a title challenge is a long way off.

United are bad, but I am not enviable of Chelsea or Arsenal's squad to be honest especially with Hazard looking likely to be on the way out.

In terms of squad talent, I personally would rank the league:

1) City

2) Liverpool

3) Tottenham

4) Chelsea

5) United
6) Arsenal

13 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

United are bad, but I am not enviable of Chelsea or Arsenal's squad to be honest especially with Hazard looking likely to be on the way out.

In terms of squad talent, I personally would rank the league:

1) City

2) Liverpool

3) Tottenham

4) Chelsea

5) United
6) Arsenal

Yeah, can't disagree with that. Chelsea without Hazard are probably the worst of the top 6. United and Arsenal are probably about even. Both have a lot of dead wood who will be hard to move. The difference is United have a massive amount of money to spend, regardless of CL qualification. Arsenal simply dont.

2 hours ago, kempus said:

http://global.espn.com/football/manchester-city/story/3834341/manchester-uniteds-pogba-shock-name-in-team-of-the-year-as-hazard-misses-out

Entire team of the year is City or Liverpool, other than Pogba. Makes sense as they have dominated everyone else this season.

HAHAHA Pogba ?!?!? What a joke.

I think the only people not in the team that you could make a case for are Eriksen, Son and Hazard.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...