Jump to content
SalvadorsDeli

2018/2019 EPL Thread

Recommended Posts

These young guys going to Barca are making the biggest mistakes. First off, if they do get playing time, it'll be terrible inconsistent. 2nd, they'd be better off in the premier league than La Liga. de Ligt should jump on the opportunity to play next to Van Djik domestically AND nationally. 

 

Anyone like de Jong and de Ligt going to Barca don't mind riding the pine for money as their career gets ruined. Same thing will end up happening to Vinicius Junior at Real Madrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
 
5
47 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

These young guys going to Barca are making the biggest mistakes. First off, if they do get playing time, it'll be terrible inconsistent. 2nd, they'd be better off in the premier league than La Liga. de Ligt should jump on the opportunity to play next to Van Djik domestically AND nationally. 

 

Anyone like de Jong and de Ligt going to Barca don't mind riding the pine for money as their career gets ruined. Same thing will end up happening to Vinicius Junior at Real Madrid.

18 years old and he played 30 games at Real and his career is ruined 

 

Image result for confused gif

 

De Jong is going to start right away in Barcelona and De Ligt will probably get Vincicius treatment, aka start a few games and then come in as a sub for others. Not to mention both of them transition their games from Ajax to Barcelona very well. On top of that both will get paid plenty more than any English club outside of Citeh and maybe United. 

I think their moves were fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, teamorange said:

18 years old and he played 30 games at Real and his career is ruined 

 

Image result for confused gif

 

De Jong is going to start right away in Barcelona and De Ligt will probably get Vincicius treatment, aka start a few games and then come in as a sub for others. Not to mention both of them transition their games from Ajax to Barcelona very well. On top of that both will get paid plenty more than any English club outside of Citeh and maybe United. 

I think their moves were fine. 

It's not yet, but it's going to be when he never plays after we buy Hazard and others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

These young guys going to Barca are making the biggest mistakes. First off, if they do get playing time, it'll be terrible inconsistent. 2nd, they'd be better off in the premier league than La Liga. de Ligt should jump on the opportunity to play next to Van Djik domestically AND nationally. 

 

Anyone like de Jong and de Ligt going to Barca don't mind riding the pine for money as their career gets ruined. Same thing will end up happening to Vinicius Junior at Real Madrid.

Hmm. I think that's a bit of a push. Let's not forget - De Jong is 22. He's not some naive teenager. His game is seasoned and matured for someone who admittedly hasn't played that many games.

I also don't believe they're making the move for money. Of the teams who would've been interested (Bayern, PSG, City, United) I bet Barcelona offered the least. Their club is steeped in history and don't ignore the biggest factor - Barcelona is a beautiful city to live in with easily the best climate of those options.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't know the Premier League website shows distance covered stats for everyone to see.

Paul Pogba distance covered per 90 mins - 10.42km
Christian Eriksen distance covered per 90 mins - 11.82km

The latter is hardly known as a workhorse, yet our 'box to box' midfielder runs 12% less distance per 90 minutes than him.

Unbelievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I didn't know the Premier League website shows distance covered stats for everyone to see.

Paul Pogba distance covered per 90 mins - 10.42km
Christian Eriksen distance covered per 90 mins - 11.82km

The latter is hardly known as a workhorse, yet our 'box to box' midfielder runs 12% less distance per 90 minutes than him.

Unbelievable.

I think Juve had the right idea on how to use Pogba imo. Put him in a midfield three and pair him with a true B2B who does the dirty work. I don't think he's the player to build your midfield around, however to me he's the type to take your midfield to a higher level. If that makes sense. I wonder if someone throws a cheeky bid his way this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I think Juve had the right idea on how to use Pogba imo. Put him in a midfield three and pair him with a true B2B who does the dirty work. I don't think he's the player to build your midfield around, however to me he's the type to take your midfield to a higher level. If that makes sense. I wonder if someone throws a cheeky bid his way this summer.

It's why he plays so great with France and sucks domestically. put him in Chelsea's midfield or Man City maybe. In front of Fernandinho or Kante.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I think Juve had the right idea on how to use Pogba imo. Put him in a midfield three and pair him with a true B2B who does the dirty work. I don't think he's the player to build your midfield around, however to me he's the type to take your midfield to a higher level. If that makes sense. I wonder if someone throws a cheeky bid his way this summer.

I mean, it makes sense, but it also means you aren't a true world class player and you shouldn't be paid as much as anyone in world football. Give any player with finesse two b2b CM's that do the dirty work and you will have attacking output.

I am sick to death of everything that comes with him. The annoying fanboys, the ridiculous penalty run ups, the walking around the pitch, the terrible body language, bla bla bla. Same with Martial - I would get rid of the pair of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I didn't know the Premier League website shows distance covered stats for everyone to see.

Paul Pogba distance covered per 90 mins - 10.42km
Christian Eriksen distance covered per 90 mins - 11.82km

The latter is hardly known as a workhorse, yet our 'box to box' midfielder runs 12% less distance per 90 minutes than him.

Unbelievable.

First off this is a misleading stat as it doesn’t account for the styles of play for their respective teams. Spurs typically press a lot, United not so much. 

Second, Pogba is not box to box. He’s CAM. Using him or expecting him to be box to box is wrong. Doesn’t have the energy for that. True box to box are guys like Kante (right now), Essien back in his day, Matuidi, Vidal etc. The best comparison I can give for Pogba is Yaya Toure or Milinkovic Savic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

First off this is a misleading stat as it doesn’t account for the styles of play for their respective teams. Spurs typically press a lot, United not so much. 

Second, Pogba is not box to box. He’s CAM. Using him or expecting him to be box to box is wrong. Doesn’t have the energy for that. True box to box are guys like Kante (right now), Essien back in his day, Matuidi, Vidal etc. The best comparison I can give for Pogba is Yaya Toure or Milinkovic Savic. 

First off, outside of playing the top teams, that's actually not true. Mourinho deployed a high press against the vast majority of the league, especially this past season out of desperation due to an inability to create from deep lying positions. OGS was the same - counter against good teams away, press high against the lesser opposition or in home games.

Second, United deployed a 4-3-3 for a lot of OGS' tenure thus far, whereby the outside of the midfield 3 would be responsible a lot of the time for the breaking full back. I believe you're misinterpreting what I mean by box to box. What I mean is that Pogba has significant responsibilities in both halves of the pitch, offensively and defensively.

He's certainly not a CAM. He never plays with his back to goal. He prefers to receive the ball deep and drive just like Yaya as you eluded to, who was never a CAM.

He can play at the spear of a midfield 3 in a 4-3-3 but then you must, must, must be willing to press to create transition opportunities and he isn't a) willing or b) capable. 

Edited by lomaxgrUK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

First off, outside of playing the top teams, that's actually not true. Mourinho deployed a high press against the vast majority of the league, especially this past season out of desperation due to an inability to create from deep lying positions. OGS was the same - counter against good teams away, press high against the lesser opposition or in home games.

Second, United deployed a 4-3-3 for a lot of OGS' tenure thus far, whereby the outside of the midfield 3 would be responsible a lot of the time for the breaking full back. I believe you're misinterpreting what I mean by box to box. What I mean is that Pogba has significant responsibilities in both halves of the pitch, offensively and defensively.

He's certainly not a CAM. He never plays with his back to goal. He prefers to receive the ball deep and drive just like Yaya as you eluded to, who was never a CAM.

He can play at the spear of a midfield 3 in a 4-3-3 but then you must, must, must be willing to press to create transition opportunities and he isn't a) willing or b) capable. 

At least 10 games out of 38 is not small. Plus include teams like Wolves, Watford etc. My point is that Spurs are a much better and effective pressing team. I bet you the gap between actual teams in terms of distance is quite big. 

He has responsibilities yeah, I’m not denying that. My point is that it shouldn’t be. Obviously I’m not advocating that he dont track back at all. But he needs to be cut some slack regarding that. Yaya never got near the criticism that Pogba got for not tracking back

His abilities are that of a CAM that’s what I’m saying. Box to box doesn’t match his abilities and he certainly doesn’t belong in atwo man midfield. He can be in a 3 but he needs engines beside him like he has in Kante and Matuidi for France. Not a bad thing all things considered 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lampard appointed as Chelsea coach. I see why they've done it, but I dont see how it ends up in anything but flames. I'm very pleased with the appointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's get dem prediction going

1. Citeh- sets points record again

2. Liverpool- not even close to Citeh and could fall to Tottenham/arsenal if those teams shore up defense

3/4. Arsenal and Tottenham- I dont see anyone else getting close to the top 4

5. ManU

6. Chelsea- Hazard cant carry them anymore

7. Everton- wouldn't be shocked if they passed chelsea. I think they had the best window

8. Leceister city 

9. Wolves

10 to 14. West ham, Norwich, Palace, Watford, Villa- no one will give a **** about these teams and they wont be in relegation danger in April

15/16. Bournemouth, Burnley, Southampton 

18/19/20 Sheffield, Newcastle and Brighton

 

Now you can all laugh in april/may about these predictions 

Edited by teamorange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Predictions:

1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Man United

18. Burnley
19. Sheffield United
20. Brighton

United in 4th is a homer pick, but there really isn't much to separate United, Chelsea & Arsenal in my opinion.

Burnley is surprise pick to some; I just think their overall lack of talent and investment will finally catch up to them. Again, I wouldn't argue with anyone who disagreed with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...