Jump to content
SalvadorsDeli

2018/2019 EPL Thread

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Preseason starts mean nothing. Many teams start Squad players or backups just to see what they have.

One game in the regular season means very little either. A bunch of teams didn't start out with their new signings, it's normal for teams to be a little more cautious and go with established players early on. Also, he's 20, it's not like he's running out of time in his prime yet.

if Chelsea continue to struggle, he'll be starting before long. Hell, he was the first man off the bench, just 58 minutes in. Doesn't look like a guy who's barely playing to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was a Chelsea I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about that United game. On another day, they could have been 2-0 up in the first half and walked away with a comfortable win.

The fact is, Chelsea's season won't be defined by performances away from home against top 6 opposition - it will be defined by how many points they drop against the lesser teams in the league.

Chelsea, United and Arsenal are all in the same bracket - good teams but gaping holes at a minimum of 3 positions and nowhere near enough depth to contest the top 3 teams.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

If I was a Chelsea I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about that United game. On another day, they could have been 2-0 up in the first half and walked away with a comfortable win.

The fact is, Chelsea's season won't be defined by performances away from home against top 6 opposition - it will be defined by how many points they drop against the lesser teams in the league.

Chelsea, United and Arsenal are all in the same bracket - good teams but gaping holes at a minimum of 3 positions and nowhere near enough depth to contest the top 3 teams.

Chelsea didnt have any world class players play on Sunday. They have 1 on their roster (kante). Seriously I dont think outside of Kante and maybe Dave for Tottenham I dont think any of their starters could start for MC, liverpool or tottenham. They're garbage this year and need to rebuild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, teamorange said:

Chelsea didnt have any world class players play on Sunday. They have 1 on their roster (kante). Seriously I dont think outside of Kante and maybe Dave for Tottenham I dont think any of their starters could start for MC, liverpool or tottenham. They're garbage this year and need to rebuild

I get that, but it's not like United or Arsenal are littered with world beaters either. I think the lack of a pure goalscorer will hurt Chelsea, however they will be in the race for top 4 until at least April in my opinion. I liked what I saw from them for a lot of Sunday, sans the defensive naivety (ironically from 'Dave' for two of the goals).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I get that, but it's not like United or Arsenal are littered with world beaters either. I think the lack of a pure goalscorer will hurt Chelsea, however they will be in the race for top 4 until at least April in my opinion. I liked what I saw from them for a lot of Sunday, sans the defensive naivety (ironically from 'Dave' for two of the goals).

Agreed but ManU have at least Pogba, AWB, and McGuire who could start or challenge for a spot in 2 of those teams. Arsenal have their front 3 and a ton of good young players. Arsenal and ManU are decently far behind the other 3 but chelsea is just as far away from ManU and and Arsenal. 

Edit: Only reason Dave could start for Tottenham is they are essentially trotting out a youth player in that position 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea outside of the top 10 by christmas.

Edited by teamorange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't followed the EPL that much the last few years (since Villa weren't in it), so excuse if I'm ignorant at all. But I'm kinda excited that we're seeing Chelsea forced into playing their young prospects now, since these guys are usually shipped off on loan to the countryside somewhere. Tammy, RLC, Mount, Hudson-Odoi, Pulisic etc (though I gather a couple of those guys are injured right now).

Because of the inexperience of these guys, they'll probably struggle in patches this year, and I wouldn't expect them to take a top 4 spot. But if I was a Chelsea fan, I wouldn't be panicking at all, I think it will be great for them in the long run to build up these kids.

Also I won't be surprised if they put it together and look great in patches. I don't think they drop out of the top 8 come the end of the season. I'd pick them to finish 6th, just maybe there's one or two mid table teams that jump them (Leicester, West Ham, Everton are really the only ones I could see).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Haven't followed the EPL that much the last few years (since Villa weren't in it), so excuse if I'm ignorant at all. But I'm kinda excited that we're seeing Chelsea forced into playing their young prospects now, since these guys are usually shipped off on loan to the countryside somewhere. Tammy, RLC, Mount, Hudson-Odoi, Pulisic etc (though I gather a couple of those guys are injured right now).

Because of the inexperience of these guys, they'll probably struggle in patches this year, and I wouldn't expect them to take a top 4 spot. But if I was a Chelsea fan, I wouldn't be panicking at all, I think it will be great for them in the long run to build up these kids.

Also I won't be surprised if they put it together and look great in patches. I don't think they drop out of the top 8 come the end of the season. I'd pick them to finish 6th, just maybe there's one or two mid table teams that jump them (Leicester, West Ham, Everton are really the only ones I could see).

Agreed, don't think they will finish out of the top 8/10 but I can see them struggling early while trying to find the right lineup. Also with Europe, they could get messed up with a heavy match load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, teamorange said:

Agreed, don't think they will finish out of the top 8/10 but I can see them struggling early while trying to find the right lineup. Also with Europe, they could get messed up with a heavy match load.

From the looks of it they've got a pretty great schedule up until November/December, which should help them smooth things over early. One game against Liverpool, otherwise they don't play another top team until City at the end of November (though Wolves and Leicester this month could give them a test).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dotmotion said:

MOST IMPORTANT TROPHY OF THEM ALL!!!!

EUROPEAN SUPERCUP WINNERS

Ain't got nothing on the Audi Cup; just ask Lucas Moura.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49369915

Quote

 

Liverpool goalkeeper Adrian could miss his side's Premier League game against Southampton on Saturday after a collision with a pitch invader.

Manager Jurgen Klopp says the Spaniard was injured during post-match celebrations following Liverpool's win over Chelsea in the Super Cup on Wednesday.

"A supporter jumped over something, was chased by some security guys, slipped and kicked his ankle. Crazy," Klopp said after Adrian saved Tammy Abraham's penalty in the shootout win."

Liverpool's third-choice keeper Andy Lonergan, 35, who was an unused substitute for the game in Istanbul which finished 2-2 after extra time, could deputise for Adrian if the 32-year-old is ruled out.

 

Wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's absolutely astonishing that we managed to steal a point from City. We were genuinely battered from pillar to post for 90 minutes of that game. VAR saved us against City again. Excellent resilience and a very big point. I doubt City drop more than 6 or so points at home this season. They are just on another level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 3:39 PM, dotmotion said:

Supercup is just another glorified friendly

 

*Will edit this if Liverpool ends up winning

It's honestly ridiculous that they don't go straight to penalties. Annoyed me so much when Madrid went to extra time the past couple years in that match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...