EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

2 hours ago, DaveDX said:

The mad lads actually did it.  I am so, so excited.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Schadenfreude really is a lovely thing when it isn't happening to your club (and I'll be the first to admit my club is in the midst of it's own schadenfreude currently, but misery loves company, damnit!), isn't it?

13 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Schadenfreude really is a lovely thing when it isn't happening to your club (and I'll be the first to admit my club is in the midst of it's own schadenfreude currently, but misery loves company, damnit!), isn't it?

I think the sport is definitely better with him in it. 

I can't believe how much I've come to dread watching this team and how much I really hate Unai Emery. What a deeply pathetic man, we're setting up at home against a relegation-level team that shipped 9 goals a couple of weeks ago like we were playing Pep's Barca. Meanwhile Raul/Kroenke/Edu are all asleep at the wheel, letting this con artist drive us firmly towards midtable. 

• Like 1

So there it is. Excited to see what Freddie can do, and would love to see him or Arteta get a real shot at the job. Obviously the ex-player route isn't guaranteed success - but in our case I feel like we don't have a lot to lose and we desperately need something and someone who can bring a divided fanbase together. 

Big moment for Raul and Edu - this next appointment will decide their own futures at the club as well, I suspect. The early reports of Kia and Mendes being involved in the search process are not encouraging - there's a difference between being willing to deal with super agents and just letting them run your club, and Raul/Edu opting for the latter would be disappointing. The Nuno rumors are worrying, based on how he's done in his stops prior to Wolves I don't see how he's not another Emery, except now with the additional pain of coming with Mendes now running our club. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

12 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

So there it is. Excited to see what Freddie can do, and would love to see him or Arteta get a real shot at the job. Obviously the ex-player route isn't guaranteed success - but in our case I feel like we don't have a lot to lose and we desperately need something and someone who can bring a divided fanbase together. 

Big moment for Raul and Edu - this next appointment will decide their own futures at the club as well, I suspect. The early reports of Kia and Mendes being involved in the search process are not encouraging - there's a difference between being willing to deal with super agents and just letting them run your club, and Raul/Edu opting for the latter would be disappointing. The Nuno rumors are worrying, based on how he's done in his stops prior to Wolves I don't see how he's not another Emery, except now with the additional pain of coming with Mendes now running our club. 

Everything I've been reading from anyone who deserved to have credibility given to them has intimated what I suspected the whole time (and why I expected Emery to get the full 6 games they said he was being given to "prove himself): That the board and brain trust don't have anything remotely close to a shortlist.  Sounds like they figured they could ride Emery to another 5th-ish place finish and just not pick up his option in the summer and go about replacing him then... and then the bed, it was shat.

The one name I can very confidently say we're not bringing in is Poch.  From everything I understand of him, he was even willing to shine Barca overtures because of his loyalty to Espanyol (the "other" Barcelona side), so I'd be shocked if he didn't maintain the same loyalties with Tottenham, in that he's not going to defect to their biggest/historic rival.

The rumored shortlist (which I don't believe, but hey, it's worth throwing out there) is Arteta, Allegri (I'll believe it when I see it and I really don't have faith in his system to translate well into the PL, particularly without the benefit of the two best CB's in the world - at the time at least), Nuno, and Ancelotti.

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

The one name I can very confidently say we're not bringing in is Poch.  From everything I understand of him, he was even willing to shine Barca overtures because of his loyalty to Espanyol (the "other" Barcelona side), so I'd be shocked if he didn't maintain the same loyalties with Tottenham, in that he's not going to defect to their biggest/historic rival.

He did say last year that he'd rather be a farmer in Argentina than work at Arsenal.  In the same interview he said he'd never manage Barca because of his time at Espanyol, and never manage Rosario Central because he grew up a fan of Newell's Old Boys

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

He did say last year that he'd rather be a farmer in Argentina than work at Arsenal.  In the same interview he said he'd never manage Barca because of his time at Espanyol, and never manage Rosario Central because he grew up a fan of Newell's Old Boys

That was the stuff I was referring to.  No reason not to take him at his word, especially consider Stan isn't the kind of owner that's going to back the Brinks truck up to him to really test his conviction.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 4:11 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Almost starting to wonder if Benny should be at the LW spot so Hazard can be the False 9 because he was magical last season at that spot. I don't think LW is his best spot.

Hazard was much better at LW than he was as a false 9 for Chelsea.