EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

10 hours ago, NickButera said:

It's been fun to watch Arsenal stay at the top. Won't last long, but it's still been fun. 

It's a fantastic project they've built. In truth, I think the best bit about it is the fact you would say Arteta has built a style that will make it so much easier to 'plug' players in, should players be injured/leave.

The long term sustainability is there if the Kroenke decide their willing to pay something close to the wages City, United and (more recently) Liverpool have shown they are willing to play.

Arsenal have the pull factor of London, their training facility is in one of the nicest rural parts of the country for families and a state of the art stadium.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:17 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

It's a fantastic project they've built. In truth, I think the best bit about it is the fact you would say Arteta has built a style that will make it so much easier to 'plug' players in, should players be injured/leave.

The long term sustainability is there if the Kroenke decide their willing to pay something close to the wages City, United and (more recently) Liverpool have shown they are willing to play.

Arsenal have the pull factor of London, their training facility is in one of the nicest rural parts of the country for families and a state of the art stadium.

I'm still waiting to see how they go against other 'big' teams. This weekend we'll get a glimpse. I like their squad now, and all the young talent, but they've yet to tick the box as to whether they belong at the table. 

21 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm still waiting to see how they go against other 'big' teams. This weekend we'll get a glimpse. I like their squad now, and all the young talent, but they've yet to tick the box as to whether they belong at the table. 

What bigger teams, though? Basically City and Liverpool? Because as it stands, United are right there with everyone else and they played United off the park for the majority of the game at Old Trafford.

On 9/28/2022 at 2:19 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

When did so many people in the US become obsessed with Tottenham? Usually it's been ManU, Arsenal, and Liverpool 

That Champions League final run and a new stadium definitely gave them a facelift.

Not to mention the hugeeeee Asian following they have because of Son. 

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Great win for Arsenal! Big one next week against Liverpool 

Today's game was fun to watch, glad I got up for it. Pool has been playing horribly too, although they've had to deal with some injuries here and there. I'm wondering when they're going to snap back into shape. Let's hope it's not next week 😂

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 5:17 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Worth noting, the Kroenkes have come out and started the exploratory processes to emulating (probably not to the same scale) the model the City Football Group have put in place.  The talks appear to be partnerships with (no talk yet of actually owning them outright) clubs in Brazil, Portugal, and Belgium.

1 hour ago, Dr LBC said:

Worth noting, the Kroenkes have come out and started the exploratory processes to emulating (probably not to the same scale) the model the City Football Group have put in place.  The talks appear to be partnerships with (no talk yet of actually owning them outright) clubs in Brazil, Portugal, and Belgium.

What is the model they use? I'm unfamiliar with it.

7 hours ago, NickButera said:

What is the model they use? I'm unfamiliar with it.

CFG model basically involves Mansour owning subsidiary clubs (NYCFC, Melbourne FC, Yokohama F. Marinos, Montevideo City Torque, Mumbai City, Girona FC, ES Troyes, etc), and as such when the group buys up some of the best international youth level players they have umbrella clubs to put them at develop them, and eventually move them on (if they're good enough) to the big daddy organization.  I think the closer model to what the Kroenkes are shooting for is something similar to the scope that Red Bull has going with Salzburg, Leipzig, and Brasil; though Red Bull gmbH is ultimately built on a selling-model, which it doesn't seem like the Kroenkes want to do - though, ironically, it sure sounds like something Bohley at Chelsea wants to emulate.

21 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Tbh, I personally don't believe that really has much relevance to the point of matching top teams when it comes to salary, thus being able to keep your top talent.

That model of City's hasn't accounted for even 1% of the reason for their success. If the Kroenke's do it, I imagine it's as a means of ROI rather than trying to win titles.

ETHs tactics are personnel choices are downright awful. I know it was City but woof.

still playing Mctominay over Casemiro. Eriksen looked like he was trying to emulate a CDM. Still did better than McFred would. And say what you want about Ronnie but he's still a better goal scorer than Rashford and Martial. 

Don't know what he's thinking.

Edited by BullsandBroncos

14 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Tbh, I personally don't believe that really has much relevance to the point of matching top teams when it comes to salary, thus being able to keep your top talent.

That model of City's hasn't accounted for even 1% of the reason for their success. If the Kroenke's do it, I imagine it's as a means of ROI rather than trying to win titles.

It's definitely an ROI move, but as you pointed out earlier, Arteta has put in place a system that makes replacing an existing cog considerably a less lofty endeavor than it previously was for this club.

I have no fantasies that a majority of the current crop are going to be kept into testimonial times.  But having a larger pool available to draw from, and one that doesn't require having to get into unit-measuring contests with other rich owners who don't really appear to do much scouting beyond jumping on the pile when other clubs show interest in a name, well, that's a welcome boon.

If I'm being honest, I won't be surprised in the slightest (even though I'm sure some Arsenal fans would deem it sacrilege) if someone like Smith-Rowe were moved on in the not too distant future (my rough estimate is inside of 2 summers), particularly if the development of other young players continues on the track it has been, because he's simply in a clog to find minutes when he's even fit.  I also believe the club would clearly love to extend Saliba, but if next summer comes and he hasn't extended and another name/opportunity club comes flashing interest and is willing to throw a ridiculous figure on the table, they'd sell him and I wouldn't blame them - because as special as he's looking to be, current structure has done admirably in identifying talent that are brought in and have given me every reason to trust in them to reinvest the sum well.

I don't think we're ever going to see an American owner in European football that is willing to go full-Steinbrenner (or effectively be what Mansour is and what Roman was); it's simply not in the makeup of American billionaires to do that - they'd sooner spend their lavish sums on ridiculous things that they really don't need but that they still believe makes them enviable and appear idyllic (like their own private island, their own space program, etc.).