EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

6 hours ago, Sad People said:

Can anyone explain to me what the Champions league is?

The top teams from each league in Europe duke it out. Like NCAA Basketball. Each ones champion gets a birth, then depending on how good the league is how many teams you put in. Which is why the EPL gets 4. SerieA, LaLiga get 3. Crap leagues like Greece or Albania get 1.

Here its called CONCACAF.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

The top teams from each league in Europe duke it out. Like NCAA Basketball. Each ones champion gets a birth, then depending on how good the league is how many teams you put in. Which is why the EPL gets 4. SerieA, LaLiga get 3. Crap leagues like Greece or Albania get 1.

And how long does that tournament go on for? I was reading an article yesterday that says it goes on for a year? How often do they play matches? So since Newcastle earned a Champions league bid this year do they have to wait until the summer of 24 to start playing matches? Also whats more prestigious? Winning the title in the EPL or winning the Champions league?

3 hours ago, Sad People said:

And how long does that tournament go on for? I was reading an article yesterday that says it goes on for a year? How often do they play matches? So since Newcastle earned a Champions league bid this year do they have to wait until the summer of 24 to start playing matches? Also whats more prestigious? Winning the title in the EPL or winning the Champions league?

Its for this next season. And matches get arranged in the EPL for the Champs League. Recently the MC/West Ham match was moved a couple weeks to an opening.

More prestigious? Depends on who you ask. But the better you do in CL the more money you get and can spend. Think when Bayern won it a couple years back they raked in a total around 115 million.  Newcastle are close on FFP (Financial Fair Play) untill they dump a couple players. But say they make it a few rounds. That might be 5 home match paydays and all else. FFP limit and allowed money to spend jumps huge for you. Thats the most important thing about the CL.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Its for this next season. And matches get arranged in the EPL for the Champs League. Recently the MC/West Ham match was moved a couple weeks to an opening.

More prestigious? Depends on who you ask. But the better you do in CL the more money you get and can spend. Think when Bayern won it a couple years back they raked in a total around 115 million.  Newcastle are close on FFP (Financial Fair Play) untill they dump a couple players. But say they make it a few rounds. That might be 5 home match paydays and all else. FFP limit and allowed money to spend jumps huge for you. Thats the most important thing about the CL.

Thank for the help!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 7:33 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

I actually think EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A all get 4. Although the 4th place might have to do a play in. 

They mix in CL games during the domestic season during the week. 4 teams in each group, play each team twice home and away. Top 2 from each group advance to round of 16 then they play 2 legs home and away until the final which is a one off.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 9:34 PM, packerstk7 said:

I actually think EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A all get 4. Although the 4th place might have to do a play in. 

They mix in CL games during the domestic season during the week. 4 teams in each group, play each team twice home and away. Top 2 from each group advance to round of 16 then they play 2 legs home and away until the final which is a one off.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819840-uefa-champions-league-explained-how-the-tournament-works

here's good article explaining the Champions League

the main leagues get 4 sometimes a 5th if a team wins the Europa League, and fails to qualify for the Champions league that year

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Friends, especially my ones on the other side of the Atlantic, I thought it was universal knowledge that, in this particular order, the top leagues are England, Spain, then Italy with France and Germany behind those 3.

When I was stationed at Rammstein and RAF Mildenhall, everyone I talked to there also shared this opinion as well. Just thoughts 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

3 hours ago, Sad People said:

Anyone know anything about this Italian guy Newcastle signed the other day? Sanddro Tonali i think his name was? Is he any good? The NUFC social media page were making it a pretty big deal it seemed like.

tonali-stats-1688384298-110474.png?lm=16

23 and a top 5 Serie A midfielder in passing and defense.

Newcastle wont just be top defense. Their transition and pushing the ball down field is going to be insane. Makes me glad they didnt land a big money attack piece like Maddison or another Striker. Its like that top Ravens Defense in 2001 adding Ed Reed out the draft.

Joelinton is your vet at 26.  Bruno/Longstaff 25, Tonali/Willock 23.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

tonali-stats-1688384298-110474.png?lm=16

23 and a top 5 Serie A midfielder in passing and defense.

Newcastle wont just be top defense. Their transition and pushing the ball down field is going to be insane. Makes me glad they didnt land a big money attack piece like Maddison or another Striker. Its like that top Ravens Defense in 2001 adding Ed Reed out the draft.

Joelinton is your vet at 26.  Bruno/Longstaff 25, Tonali/Willock 23.

From what I briefly read it sounds like hes pretty good with the ball on his feet? Like hes the kind of player to help them transition from defending to the attacking zone? If thats true i feel like thats what they do need some help with.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:44 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

Friends, especially my ones on the other side of the Atlantic, I thought it was universal knowledge that, in this particular order, the top leagues are England, Spain, then Italy with France and Germany behind those 3.

When I was stationed at Rammstein and RAF Mildenhall, everyone I talked to there also shared this opinion as well. Just thoughts 

Germany is better than France. Bundesliga and Serie A are pretty tight but lately Serie A teams have had better runs in Europe I believe, and serie A is really competitive at the top, whereas in Bundesliga it’s a surprise if anyone pushes Bayern for the title. 

11 hours ago, amac said:

Germany is better than France. Bundesliga and Serie A are pretty tight but lately Serie A teams have had better runs in Europe I believe, and serie A is really competitive at the top, whereas in Bundesliga it’s a surprise if anyone pushes Bayern for the title. 

That was my conclusion as well. People in the US act like Germany and France are miles and miles ahead of Italy and I just don't see it