EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

Really proud of the effort from United yesterday. Sure, the game highlighted United's clear lack of squad depth, but the players never let it affect their body language and effort. Under our previous Manager we'd have gone into our shell and got spanked in that game. Instead, we kept pressing and to be honest, we created the better chances (albeit not very good ones).

If I was a Liverpool fan I would definitely be concerned by the front 3 not firing. I love United, but we were there for the taking yesterday and Liverpool just seemed happy with a point. 

Awful game for the neutral but I am taking a lot of positives as a United fan.

Firmino's injury appeared to have a lot of effect.  For all the hype that Salah gets, Bobby really doesn't get the plaudits he deserves for being the one to show up the most consistently against the bigger clubs.  I don't know how much having had the match midweek against Bayern affected Klopp not getting Firmino off sooner or if that was the player trying to play through the injury, but once he went off the side looked like it was without a Plan B.

Big win for Liverpool against an in form Watford team. They needed a big goal performance like that as well. With their only 2 games against the top 6 being at home, it's promising for them that they have blown away one of the better teams outside the top 6. That Everton game on Sunday is absolutely massive (hot take ...)

Really impressed with United for the most part last night, given the injuries. I thought McTominay was excellent; easily his best game for United. We gave up some big chances at 0-0 and 1-0, but we controlled almost all of the 2nd half and ran out worthy winners. Two good finishes for Lukaku, and although I wasn't impressed with his overall performance, you can't be overly critical of a guy scoring twice away from home.

So, City are now in the driving seat but it appears their goals have dried up all of a sudden. I don't think we've seen the last positional change in the hunt for the title.

With Spurs dropping points again and both United and Chelsea winning, Spurs are officially in the top 4 battle now. Spurs still have to go to the Etihad and Anfield so they're definitely looking over their shoulder.

Massive game at the Emirates next week. United are starting to look a tad leggy with the injuries and the high pressing that Ole has employed. I am intrigued to see how Ole goes about the PSG game; do you go and try not to get embarrassed whilst saving legs for Sunday, or do you go full pelt with the 0.0000001% chance we could turn it around?

Edited by lomaxgrUK

Funny game, football. Of all the games under Ole, I would say yesterday was one where we created maybe the most amount of chances. 

I am not really concerned with the performance or the result, but Lindelof going back to his shaky days and Fred reverting to type are probably my biggest concerns.

Hopefully Herrera will be back fit soon.

On 15/03/2019 at 2:11 AM, drd23 said:

As expected.  I also wouldn't be surprised if they aren't the last EPL club to get a transfer ban for similar breaches

Good.

Them and Chelsea have been at this for years. Their clubs are built on gaming the system.

Wouldn't surprise me if City have known about this for a year or so. The Mahrez pursuit was always a bit weird, given the wide players they already have, but if they get given a two window ban then it would make sense for them to stock up.

I am sure their squad can deal with this to be honest. If Jesus can get back to his form of a couple of years ago and one of either Otamendi or Kompany can stay fit, they still have sufficient squad depth to compete in any trophy. They've basically played this year without their best player, so he will be like a new signing next season.

If United end up getting stung by a ban like this, they are soooooooooooo screwed. 

35 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Wouldn't surprise me if City have known about this for a year or so. The Mahrez pursuit was always a bit weird, given the wide players they already have, but if they get given a two window ban then it would make sense for them to stock up.

I am sure their squad can deal with this to be honest. If Jesus can get back to his form of a couple of years ago and one of either Otamendi or Kompany can stay fit, they still have sufficient squad depth to compete in any trophy. They've basically played this year without their best player, so he will be like a new signing next season.

If United end up getting stung by a ban like this, they are soooooooooooo screwed. 

Imagine if Spurs got hit with this ban. Sweet jesus, mid table finish and a squad of 10 fit players by the end of the season.

56 minutes ago, kempus said:

Imagine if Spurs got hit with this ban. Sweet jesus, mid table finish and a squad of 10 fit players by the end of the season.

We're both in the same boat really, other than United have a far bigger payroll that they need to address and have a worse starting XI in my opinion.

I think United tend to have a better crop of youth players to call upon, but this is 2019 not 1992; you can't build a title winning squad on youth players in this country.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:48 AM, kempus said:

If Spurs got hit with the ban nothing would change because they already don't sign anyone!