EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

It's fairly crazy that we have secured top 4 (barring something obscene). We have been so, so bad for pretty much all of 2019. Just shows how good we were to start the season. Also shows how terrible United, Arsenal and Chelsea have been.

Edited by kempus
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 1:18 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

I've never been more over a set of players than this United squad in all my life. I am dying for this season to end.

I hate every single one of the lazy, overpaid, bratty tossers.

It's about where I'm at with around 1/3 to 1/2 of the non-injured Arsenal regulars.  The sad thing for me is that, particularly given our budget restraints, at least 1/2 of that 1/2 will still be around next season and some of them the season following that.

I'm not like some of our - let's call them what they are - spoiled fans who refuse to be realistic, but my (I think very realistic) want is that I'm confident week-in and week-out that the boys putting on the shirt are going to leave it all on the field... and I'm seeing that from about 4, maybe 5, players in the squad max right now.  The double-edge of the sword for me is that from everything I've seen our Academy is the best it's been in years, but we're just looking like we're going to have sinkholes on the roster that are going to suck minutes that could be going to those players in a couple years because of the overpaid wages that they're on, that the club can't convince anyone else to buy said players off of them because of such, and that leaves us stuck paying to loan them out and then getting pennies on the dollar (if anything) to ever get rid of.

• Like 1

Slightly harsh on Liverpool, but thats the way it goea. Not much else they could have done. I can't see them hitting that point total again next season. So many things fell their way during the course of the season. Epic title race, though. Great season overall.

Although I felt like the title was lost months ago during those streak of draws it still feels sad that it is inevitably over. I am hoping that we can continue the push next year but I feel like overall as a squad, we were quite healthy this year so you never know what will happen. I really hope that Liverpool continues to spend like City has to build the depth. I like Gomez, Matip and Lovren but I only trust them when partnered with VVD so if there is a way to get a CB somehow (don't know any good targets), that would be wonderful. As well some striker depth. For as much Origi saved us this season, a more reliable option for when Firmino is out would be helpful. 

15 hours ago, dotmotion said:

Although I felt like the title was lost months ago during those streak of draws it still feels sad that it is inevitably over. I am hoping that we can continue the push next year but I feel like overall as a squad, we were quite healthy this year so you never know what will happen. I really hope that Liverpool continues to spend like City has to build the depth. I like Gomez, Matip and Lovren but I only trust them when partnered with VVD so if there is a way to get a CB somehow (don't know any good targets), that would be wonderful. As well some striker depth. For as much Origi saved us this season, a more reliable option for when Firmino is out would be helpful. 

I think you need a LB to spell Robertson a bit more, definitely a young wide player that can rotate with Mane/Salah to give them more games off, perhaps a Striker to spell Firmino (although Mane & Salah can do this) and perhaps a more dynamic CM for the final 3rd, but I suppose Keita could become the latter maybe?

With how Matip played down the stretch, I really don't think CB depth is an issue. Lovren is dodgy at times, but as a 4th CB he's a very good option. I don't know if he will want to stay under those circumstances, though. This is a guy who claimed to be one of the best in the world not that long ago and he's only got a year or two left in his prime. Most 4th CBs are young, developing players rather than veterans that are internationals.

21 hours ago, dotmotion said:

There are rumors that Liverpool want Ajax's Matthjias de Ligt, which would make sense given their transfer history.

8 hours ago, rcon14 said:

There are rumors that Liverpool want Ajax's Matthjias de Ligt, which would make sense given their transfer history.

He's almost guaranteed to go to Barcelona. Along with Griezmann.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think you need a LB to spell Robertson a bit more, definitely a young wide player that can rotate with Mane/Salah to give them more games off, perhaps a Striker to spell Firmino (although Mane & Salah can do this) and perhaps a more dynamic CM for the final 3rd, but I suppose Keita could become the latter maybe?

With how Matip played down the stretch, I really don't think CB depth is an issue. Lovren is dodgy at times, but as a 4th CB he's a very good option. I don't know if he will want to stay under those circumstances, though. This is a guy who claimed to be one of the best in the world not that long ago and he's only got a year or two left in his prime. Most 4th CBs are young, developing players rather than veterans that are internationals.

Agree with this. A LB and a RB (we lose the attacking impetus when Gomez plays there) and another winger to spell Mane/Salah.

I think getting Ox back and Keita continuing to mature will help the CM.

Overall, I really can't complain. 97 points, losing 1 game, golden glove winner, 2/3 golden boot winners, most assists by defensive player. To have all that and still come in second is a kick in the nuts, but you can't ask more from a team. I am glad we have the CL final to look forward to.

At the very least, we shouldn't lose anyone important from the squad. So the majority of the squad should be back, it'll be hard to repeat this years total, but I think we can challenge again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rcon14 said:

I would put the chances of this at slim and none. As @kempus eluded to, he's almost definitely Barcelona bound.

If I was a Liverpool fan, this would be my biggest concern. You aren't going to be able to compete with Real Madrid and Barcelona from either a lifestyle perspective (like all English clubs) or a salary perspective for the near future. At least City and United can compete with the latter; Liverpool right now can't come close to the (outrageous) wages that Barca, Real, City and United pay out (With Chelsea also included when they don't have a ban).

Therefore, Liverpool's transfer strategy with have to continue to revolve around obtaining players that aren't high on the radar of all of those teams other than United, where Liverpool could entice based on UCL football maybe.

This shouldn't be that much of a problem given how good Klopp has done in the market. However, City aren't going to stand still and always a threat to load up their squad with even more talent.

• 2 weeks later...

23 hours ago, kempus said:

@teamorange Welcome back to the promised land :D I'm happy to see Villa back.

Feels good man those last 15 minutes were ******* brutal for me. Thankfully I am now done with that minnows thread. 

Villa has a lot of work to do though, half of our best players (El Ghazi, Ax, and Mings) are all on loan here. El Ghazi is going to be a no brainer (I think 5 million pounds buy option) and Mings for 8 to 15 million should be good, but I doubt ManU will sell Ax for anything we can afford. Maybe another loan spell here in the premier league would make sense unless they want to work him into the squad. 

Regardless, feels good to start the season off second in the Premier League :)