EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

Burnley shouldn't surprise anyone. They were floating around 15 to 19th till about December/Febuary. Then they lost their best GK and didnt sign anyone major.  They had the 4th or 5th worst goal diff last year 

I just see them as a stoke/Sunderland that just stay up for a few seasons scraping by 

Edited by teamorange
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, teamorange said:

Why they giving us this minnow club to start the premier league 

:P

Seriously, it was a great effort from Villa. The first half you were fully deserving of the lead. Restricted us to scraps, partly because of Poch's terrible set up. Second half was a domination though.

Mings and the other CB defended extremely well. Grealish also looked very classy, even if he does go down rather easily. I think Villa are going to struggle scoring goals this season, though.

We were once again slow starting and horribly set up. It happens way too often under Poch. Man City won't be so accommodating next week. We were without a lot of players tonight. Aurier, Vertonghen, Lo Celso, Son, Ali and Eriksen are all starters in our best 11 imo, or very close. Fantastic for Kane to get a double and Ndombele score on debut (he looked absolutely superb). Hopefully we can start much faster next week. 

7 hours ago, kempus said:

Seriously, it was a great effort from Villa. The first half you were fully deserving of the lead. Restricted us to scraps, partly because of Poch's terrible set up. Second half was a domination though.

Mings and the other CB defended extremely well. Grealish also looked very classy, even if he does go down rather easily. I think Villa are going to struggle scoring goals this season, though.

We were once again slow starting and horribly set up. It happens way too often under Poch. Man City won't be so accommodating next week. We were without a lot of players tonight. Aurier, Vertonghen, Lo Celso, Son, Ali and Eriksen are all starters in our best 11 imo, or very close. Fantastic for Kane to get a double and Ndombele score on debut (he looked absolutely superb). Hopefully we can start much faster next week. 

Mings, Engels and Heaton were class. Shame we ended up conceding 3, it wasn't reflective of their great effort, more the amount of possession a great team like Spurs had. Hope to see Luiz or Nakamba in midfield soon to hopefully fix that.

Felt Grealish struggled though. A lot of pressure on his back this season, was a tough start for him.

16 hours ago, kempus said:

The biggest shame was the score ending 3-1 because the defense played great. And I disagree with you that it was a pretty poor game from Grealish (outside of 1 run that could've ended in a goal). Constantly making poor passes not linking defense to attack and he basically threw away the game getting dispossessed at the top of the box. 

Agree about goals, that was my big concern. What I read about Wesley (the striker who constantly fell to the ground) was that he was strong in possession (didn't see that in the first game) but didn't score many goals. Trezeguet looked nice yesterday but again looks like he has no end product. Which is going to put a lot of pressure on our midfield to score (which they can). I really wish we were able to secure Benrahma I really think he could be a difference-maker but we will see and there is a lot to be optimistic about after that game.

5 hours ago, teamorange said:

The biggest shame was the score ending 3-1 because the defense played great. And I disagree with you that it was a pretty poor game from Grealish (outside of 1 run that could've ended in a goal). Constantly making poor passes not linking defense to attack and he basically threw away the game getting dispossessed at the top of the box. 

Agree about goals, that was my big concern. What I read about Wesley (the striker who constantly fell to the ground) was that he was strong in possession (didn't see that in the first game) but didn't score many goals. Trezeguet looked nice yesterday but again looks like he has no end product. Which is going to put a lot of pressure on our midfield to score (which they can). I really wish we were able to secure Benrahma I really think he could be a difference-maker but we will see and there is a lot to be optimistic about after that game.

Yeah, it wasn't Grealishs best game, but he looks like a quality player. He was basically being swamped by Spurs the entire game with zero outlet. Wesley looked like crap, tbh. Alderweireld is one of the leagues best CBs and Sanchez is one of the most physically gifted, though. There will be much easier games. 

15 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Mings, Engels and Heaton were class. Shame we ended up conceding 3, it wasn't reflective of their great effort, more the amount of possession a great team like Spurs had. Hope to see Luiz or Nakamba in midfield soon to hopefully fix that.

Felt Grealish struggled though. A lot of pressure on his back this season, was a tough start for him.

Spurs having that much pressure did Grealish no favours. There was no outlet to play the ball to. Wesley was rubbish. I think hes Villas most gifted player, from what I observed.

3 hours ago, kempus said:

Spurs having that much pressure did Grealish no favours. There was no outlet to play the ball to. Wesley was rubbish. I think hes Villas most gifted player, from what I observed.

Yeah Wesley was really bad. too early to start getting concerned about the signing, but hoping for a better effort from him this week.

3 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Yeah Wesley was really bad. too early to start getting concerned about the signing, but hoping for a better effort from him this week.

In fairness, Alderweireld and Sanchez are a very tough matchup for most strikers.

14 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Chelsea spent a lot of money on Pulisic to barely play him. I think the game says more about Chelsea than Man U. I watched the game up until I saw the 3rd ball go in the back of the net. 

He’s started most of preseason, has he not? 

Its one game. 

We got killed on the counter, simple. Azpi was at fault for 2nd and 3rd. Both inexcusable. Im actually encouraged by our attacking play. Just wasn’t our day. Defensively has been the concern all preseason. Defo gonna leak in goals especially as Rudi is out and Kante coming back from injury.

Edited by Kip Smithers

10 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

He’s started most of preseason, has he not? 

Its one game. 

We got killed on the counter, simple. Azpi was at fault for 2nd and 3rd. Both inexcusable. Im actually encouraged by our attacking play. Just wasn’t our day. Defensively has been the concern all preseason. Defo gonna leak in goals especially as Rudi is out and Kante coming back from injury.

Preseason starts mean nothing. Many teams start Squad players or backups just to see what they have.

6 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Preseason starts mean nothing. Many teams start Squad players or backups just to see what they have.

It does mean something because I’m some games you’re gonna play you’re strongest team for like a half or so.

my point is that him being on the bench in first game means nothing. If he starts next game, then what do you say?