EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

13 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

How incredibly random! Can I ask how you stumbled across our little town?

I took a trip last year to see the USMNT play England at Wembley, and then against Italy in Genk, but I spent the first few days of my trip in Manchester. My first order of business was clearly to see an EFL match, and Bury was the closest team playing that day. 

So as soon as I got off the plane and into Manchester, I took the tram up to Bury, had a few pints at the Art Picture House, then wandered through the college and down to Gigg Lane. 1-1 draw with Crewe, but the meat pie was great. I feel like I got the full English experience that day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I took a trip last year to see the USMNT play England at Wembley, and then against Italy in Genk, but I spent the first few days of my trip in Manchester. My first order of business was clearly to see an EFL match, and Bury was the closest team playing that day. 

So as soon as I got off the plane and into Manchester, I took the tram up to Bury, had a few pints at the Art Picture House, then wandered through the college and down to Gigg Lane. 1-1 draw with Crewe, but the meat pie was great. I feel like I got the full English experience that day.

That's so cool man. To be fair, Bury is a really convenient place to go from Manchester - one line on the tram, as you know. Good on you.

I would have loved to have been in the Picture House to see the barman/barmaid's face when they heard an American accent asking for a beer xD We don't get many tourists in Bury ...

What did you think of Manchester when you were there?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

That's so cool man. To be fair, Bury is a really convenient place to go from Manchester - one line on the tram, as you know. Good on you.

I would have loved to have been in the Picture House to see the barman/barmaid's face when they heard an American accent asking for a beer xD We don't get many tourists in Bury ...

What did you think of Manchester when you were there?

I loved Manchester. I was there in mid-November and there was a big winter festival going on, with booths and shops set up all over the city. Super cool. I stayed right next to Piccadilly Gardens in the Northern Quarter so I was able to walk the whole city. I thought John Ryland's Library, Manchester Cathedral and the Manchester Town Hall were awesome - there is nothing that old in the US, obviously. I was sort of underwhelmed by the National Football Museum, but maybe that is because I had just come from touring Old Trafford which was incredible. 

I'm bummed I never made it out to Liverpool though. If I had one more day I would have done that. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I loved Manchester. I was there in mid-November and there was a big winter festival going on, with booths and shops set up all over the city. Super cool. I stayed right next to Piccadilly Gardens in the Northern Quarter so I was able to walk the whole city. I thought John Ryland's Library, Manchester Cathedral and the Manchester Town Hall were awesome - there is nothing that old in the US, obviously. I was sort of underwhelmed by the National Football Museum, but maybe that is because I had just come from touring Old Trafford which was incredible. 

I'm bummed I never made it out to Liverpool though. If I had one more day I would have done that. 

Nice! Yeh, the Christmas markets are really cool (albeit wayyyyyy too busy on weekends). I totally agree about the football museum - it moved from Preston about 10 years ago and I much preferred it there. We actually had our work's Christmas party at the one in Manchester in 2015 and it was insane how naive they were. All the Sales lads in my work were crossing over the red rope (the only security ...) and trying on Pele's hats among other things. Crazy.

I work in Old Trafford and I can actually see into the Stretford End from my desk which is pretty cool as a United fan. The place needs a lick of paint now, and it is getting left behind by new stadiums, but the Munich Tunnel is so interesting (and sad) for all football fans.

Liverpool is great. More hilly than Manchester I would say, but it's a very proud City and welcoming to tourists (within the City Centre; don't venture far out ...)

• Like 1

I have no issue with calling that simulation, but the problem is that refs don't normally immediately stop play when they decide a challenge in the box is not a penalty so i have no idea why the ref did in this situation.

He should have let the play go on and then book Grealish at the next stoppage if he thought it was a dive.

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

I have no issue with calling that simulation, but the problem is that refs don't normally immediately stop play when they decide a challenge in the box is not a penalty so i have no idea why the ref did in this situation.

He should have let the play go on and then book Grealish at the next stoppage if he thought it was a dive.

How is this simulation lol. He got pushed from behind and kicked twice

32 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Because he took a couple of steps and passed the ball between when he was pushed/tripped and when he actually fell, and because the did the typical diving motion.  I think more things like that should be carded

So because he tried to stay up instead of going down at first point of contact means he flopped? That take is probably more ridiculous than the no goal. 

Another abject, abhorrent display from United. Can't wait to hear what Rashford's people leak to the press as an excuse for this latest shambles. Usually it's blame on the service, but we put probably 5 perfect crosses right across the box in the last 15 mins alone, only for him to absent as always from the 6 yard box (aka where strikers should be). 

Pogba was awful once again. McTominay contributed literally nothing going forward and as for Pereira - he was the worst player in a pitiful performance, which says it all.

The only bright parts for United are their 3 new signings which gives me hope that Ole can turn this thing around. That and Mason Greenwood when he  came on.

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Another abject, abhorrent display from United. Can't wait to hear what Rashford's people leak to the press as an excuse for this latest shambles. Usually it's blame on the service, but we put probably 5 perfect crosses right across the box in the last 15 mins alone, only for him to absent as always from the 6 yard box (aka where strikers should be). 

Pogba was awful once again. McTominay contributed literally nothing going forward and as for Pereira - he was the worst player in a pitiful performance, which says it all.

The only bright parts for United are their 3 new signings which gives me hope that Ole can turn this thing around. That and Mason Greenwood when he  came on.

He's not a striker. He was always most dangerous bringing pace and dribbling from wide.

Yep, one of the worst Pogba performances I've seen, and they're stacking up now aren't they. 

Is it true this is the worst run MU have been in since the PL started? In terms of actual games won over the span of however many games? The win column must be a bit bare going back months now. 

I'm not convinced of Ole at all. He's unproven, and has won the league which, according to jonathon wilson, is equivalent to about League 1. Look no further than across the dugout for the type of coach united should be going after. An up-and-coming tactician. Poch was one of them. There's a few out there, Ralph for example. Ole as united manager is strange, to me.