EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

On 11/1/2020 at 4:48 PM, Kip Smithers said:

It seems like United have a bad set of results and it’s Ole out then he gets a big win and then you think they’re turning a corner but then it’s back to square one. He and Lampard are two peas in a pod, neither deserve to be in the position they’re in and will get bailed out by the quality they have in their squad. 

Pogba and Bruno can’t play with each other, especially under Ole who has no real plan and style of play. Both players are not disciplined enough to Play without a system In place. United made that game unwatchable at times. How we scraped a draw against this team Last week Baffles me.

Pogba by my count is probably one of the most overrated players in the Premier League. I've never seen a guy who is so sluggish in his defensive contribution and so limited against a high press be hyped up to be one of the best midfielders in the league. He's in the Ozil category of players in my opinion. A luxury player. If you can build your midfield around him, that is have other players cover his weaknesses and let him optimize his strengths (as Juventus did), then he's fantastic. However in the modern game, where midfielders are relied upon to regain and recycle possession so much (alongside everything else), I don't think you can have him anchoring your midfield. Atleast not in the Premier League.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Pogba by my count is probably one of the most overrated players in the Premier League. I've never seen a guy who is so sluggish in his defensive contribution and so limited against a high press be hyped up to be one of the best midfielders in the league. He's in the Ozil category of players in my opinion. A luxury player. If you can build your midfield around him, that is have other players cover his weaknesses and let him optimize his strengths (as Juventus did), then he's fantastic. However in the modern game, where midfielders are relied upon to regain and recycle possession so much (alongside everything else), I don't think you can have him anchoring your midfield. Atleast not in the Premier League.

I do kind of agree that Pogba is a luxury player because he’s not disciplined but I’d still take him on my team. Cos I think he is a player and has that ability’s that you just let him play. Let him do him and it has value, I just think that at United is just not right for him. The set up and the personnel Isn’t suitable. We’re seeing Bruno having the similar issues as well.

13 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Pogba has skills that very few players do, but his work rate isn't great and doesn't fit Ole's system. He could flourish under a better manager. 

What is Ole’s system? Seems like it’s either play on the counter or give the ball to Bruno and let him create.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Ralph Hassenhuttl is a top 5 manager in the premier league. Change my mind.

I like him but there’s some pretty great managers: Pep, Klopp, Mourinho, and Ancelloti have all won CLs. Then you have guys like Bielsa who are legends. I think he’s in the next tier with Rodgers, Nuno, etc.

11 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I like him but there’s some pretty great managers: Pep, Klopp, Mourinho, and Ancelloti have all won CLs. Then you have guys like Bielsa who are legends. I think he’s in the next tier with Rodgers, Nuno, etc.

Pep and Klopp are definitely at the top. After that I'll give you Mou and Bielsa. Ancelloti is a fine manager, but he really hasn't had a ton of success after Bayern. I like Rodgers but he's prone to some really poor form in the league. I know Leicester had a ton of injuries (they were without 3/4 of their backline IIRC), but it should've never gotten to that point. Southampton's form since their 9-0 thrashing has been fantastic. I think only Liverpool, City and Chelsea have gotten more points since then. He hasn't had any big transfers, he's tactically been brilliant and his players have improved. I really do think he'll be challenging for Europe with the Saints early as next season.

55 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I'll take a draw, very slow going in the second half and a lot of hoofball from Liverpool. Both teams seemed tired.

Yeah, totally different energy than the first half. I think a draw is probably the most fair result but I bet City feels like they let points get away with De Bruyne’s missed PK.

• Like 1