EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Man last season Chelsea had such nice movement, runs into space that sort of thing. They look so static now. Werner looks absolutely dire, he doesn't seem like he's on the same page as anyone on their team. Their plan is just give the ball to Pulisic or Ziyech and hope they make something happen. It worked into City's hands because their midfield just isolated them out wide.

City probably had their best performance of the season. With Liverpool dropping points recently, I think they are up there for a title challenge. KDB had a great showing. Gundogen was playing excellently in their midfield too.

I wouldn't call them the favorite, but I definitely have them as a favorite to win the league on the run-in.  They have the depth to survive CL knockout stages calling for stronger mid-week sides on the regular (which is more a knock on other clubs at the top of the table right now), and they're still the best coached side outside of Klopp's boys.  We've yet to see how COVID is going to impact a spring that doesn't have a layoff smack in the middle of it along with expanded benches/subs, drinks breaks, etc; so I'll give more weight to the side with high quality depth beyond their normal starting XI.  Especially since I'm of the opinion that non-existent gates, COVID in general, and Brexit (to a degree) are going to have their respective impacts on the January window - to the degree that I don't expect many out-and-out buys by anyone, and instead a fair amount of loan deals.

4 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Man last season Chelsea had such nice movement, runs into space that sort of thing. They look so static now. Werner looks absolutely dire, he doesn't seem like he's on the same page as anyone on their team. Their plan is just give the ball to Pulisic or Ziyech and hope they make something happen. It worked into City's hands because their midfield just isolated them out wide.

We did? 

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Last year? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought you guys had guys making runs between spaces. Moreso than this year, where it looks more static.

I would say in the first couple of months of last season there was some fluidity about us and we created good amounts of chances. Since then we’ve struggled tbh. Too slow and stagnant. Watching today was a joke. So disjointed. No combinations. Not even an attempt to run into spaces. Our midfield has no dynamism about it. 

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

I wouldn't call them the favorite, but I definitely have them as a favorite to win the league on the run-in.  They have the depth to survive CL knockout stages calling for stronger mid-week sides on the regular (which is more a knock on other clubs at the top of the table right now), and they're still the best coached side outside of Klopp's boys.  We've yet to see how COVID is going to impact a spring that doesn't have a layoff smack in the middle of it along with expanded benches/subs, drinks breaks, etc; so I'll give more weight to the side with high quality depth beyond their normal starting XI.  Especially since I'm of the opinion that non-existent gates, COVID in general, and Brexit (to a degree) are going to have their respective impacts on the January window - to the degree that I don't expect many out-and-out buys by anyone, and instead a fair amount of loan deals.

Agree with everything you said. Liverpool are down to Matip as the only senior CB left, and his injury situation is a toss up most weeks. I will be interested to see how much clubs splash in Jan due to the factors you've mentioned. Liverpool for example desperately need a CB, but probably roll with the kids and hope Gomez can come back in a timely fashion. I'll be interested to see teams who are desperate to avoid the drop (West Brom for example) how much they can spend and what quality of player. Still I agree City and Liverpool are ahead of other teams as of now. Spurs and United seem to make up the next tier in terms of quality.

21 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Agree with everything you said. Liverpool are down to Matip as the only senior CB left, and his injury situation is a toss up most weeks. I will be interested to see how much clubs splash in Jan due to the factors you've mentioned. Liverpool for example desperately need a CB, but probably roll with the kids and hope Gomez can come back in a timely fashion. I'll be interested to see teams who are desperate to avoid the drop (West Brom for example) how much they can spend and what quality of player. Still I agree City and Liverpool are ahead of other teams as of now. Spurs and United seem to make up the next tier in terms of quality.

And both appear wholly dependent on sustaining models which are wholly dependent on a specific player staying fit the whole of the season, unless either develops a second dimension that neither have shown thus far.  If Song or Bruno, respectively, miss any notable stretch of time, the drop-off for their respective clubs could come quick and hard; and in Tottenham's case, the state of the dressing room could flip on it's head quick, because we know Mourinho isn't going to take responsibility for anything and will throw the players under his bus if negative results start rolling in with any frequency.

23 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

The transformation of City's defense has been something. They have 4 CBs that are all playing well and their FBs look solid with Coencelo really improving his game.

and Mendy is ordering 'fine *** latinas' to his room....all playing well! :D 

I think Spurs are fairly legit, but I'm not close on that with MU. They seem lacking in any sort of coherent plan or strategy, and just rely on individuals. It's not sustainable. 

City sorting their defence out is great, but they will absolutely drop more games to random teams and you'll think....what?! Again.

Chelsea only beat lower half teams, as many of us suspected

Liverpool to win again

20 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I think you all should buy a CB. There is no guarantee that VvD will regain his world class form. He’ll be in his 30s when he returns. Plus I saw that Rhys Williams play and I don’t think ever seen a slower player in the EPL.

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think Spurs are fairly legit, but I'm not close on that with MU. They seem lacking in any sort of coherent plan or strategy, and just rely on individuals. It's not sustainable. 

City sorting their defence out is great, but they will absolutely drop more games to random teams and you'll think....what?! Again.

Chelsea only beat lower half teams, as many of us suspected

Liverpool to win again

City drop "more" games? theyve lost one since September. 6 players with Covid restrictions and a couple injuries. Yet still dominated Chelsea.

I say Liverpool/MCity followed closely by MU. Which wouldnt surprise me if MU has an amazing transfer session and can pull ahead of both. Then LC/Southampton duking it out for that 4th spot.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

7 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

City drop "more" games? theyve lost one since September. 6 players with Covid restrictions and a couple injuries. Yet still dominated Chelsea.

I say Liverpool/MCity followed closely by MU. Which wouldnt surprise me if MU has an amazing transfer session and can pull ahead of both. Then LC/Southampton duking it out for that 4th spot.

Chelsea aren't a good team

City do this. Whether it was a draw against WBA, or Leeds (two teams that they ought to dominate), or getting annihilated by LCFC (a team they shouldn't be losing to). It will happen. Last season they had losses against Norwich, Wolves, United x 2.

I just don't trust them. Eventually they'll give up points where they shouldn't and it will be the nail in the coffin, because LFC don't do this anywhere near as much. They put teams away