EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

7 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I assume you are referencing lack of investment which, in my opinion, ludicrous. 

yes, united have spent 400M or whatever the figure is over the past few years, but he wasn't wrong in wanting defenders. Lindelof is clearly out of his depth, he's garbage. We can blame Mourinho for buying a player like that, but with the spending power United have they should have thrown more money at the problem to fix it. that backline will continue to suffer and the whole team and their results will suffer as well. 

i thought, going forward they didn't look too bad against spurs. if they can just get the defence sorted and prevent de gea having to make countless amazing saves like he did last season then they might have a chance at winning some trophies (de gea btw is in terrible form) 

4 hours ago, persiandud said:

yes, united have spent 400M or whatever the figure is over the past few years, but he wasn't wrong in wanting defenders. Lindelof is clearly out of his depth, he's garbage. We can blame Mourinho for buying a player like that, but with the spending power United have they should have thrown more money at the problem to fix it. that backline will continue to suffer and the whole team and their results will suffer as well. 

i thought, going forward they didn't look too bad against spurs. if they can just get the defence sorted and prevent de gea having to make countless amazing saves like he did last season then they might have a chance at winning some trophies (de gea btw is in terrible form) 

Isnt that the job of the manager though? Mourinho has spent big money on players and hes gotten nothing out of them. Compare him to the likes of Guardiola, Klopp, Pochettino, etc and it's not even close. Hes spent poorly and he's not got the most out of his signings or the rest of the squad. 

I just dont see why United would spend £80m on Maguire when Mourinho has already wasted some £60m on awful defenders. At some point he actually has to contribute something to the team. 

• Like 1

To be fair to Mourinho, I don't think Woodward is doing him any favors either. Don't get me wrong Mou is definitely to blame for some of their recent purchases, but Woodward seems to have the Real Madrid mentality of the early 2000s. Essentially collect as many talented players as possible and have the manager figure it out. Their biggest problem it seems is no clear direction for their club. Mou wants his type of player and Woodward wants to collect talented players. Their transfer debacles remind me of Rodgers and the transfer committee with Liverpool. Rodgers had his type of players he wanted, committee another. In the end we had players who didn't fit or work together. Leading the entire team to under perform. Same thing is happening at United imo. That team doesn't really have an identity despite being a Mou coached team.

• 2 weeks later...

We were far from our best but I'm happy with the 3 points. Spurs were unlucky missing key players, but that squad depth is going to be exposed as the season goes by. They also made way too many mistakes that Liverpool should've capitalized on.

Salah, Keita and Mane were wasteful. Gini, Robertson and VVD played extremely well. 15/15 points without playing our best is encouraging however.

Edited by Canadian Saint

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I knew Pedro would flourish under Sarri. Such a threat for us. 

If Willian is happy to be a super sub then we have a really deadly combo on the right. Pedro runs and runs all game long and wears on defenders which leaves a perfect situation to bring Willian in to dribble at them.

28 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

If Willian is happy to be a super sub then we have a really deadly combo on the right. Pedro runs and runs all game long and wears on defenders which leaves a perfect situation to bring Willian in to dribble at them.

Not only his energy, it’s his positioning that like most. He’s so flexible. Can link up, can run in behind and can come narrower to find spaces behind the midfield. He’s a such a good fit for this system 

• 2 weeks later...