EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

On 3/13/2022 at 6:36 PM, JetsCrash said:

Arsenal looking like the far better team today against Leicester. 

Very happy that we're finally looking a bit like The Arsenal again. Nice, fast, intricate passes and build up and an actual identity to how we're playing football.

Getting CL is absolutely crucial now as it would mean that in the summer we could massively improve our squad and perhaps be a legitimate contending team along with City, Liv and Chelsea.

Still a long way to go, but this is the most encouraged I've been since probably 2015 just in terms of our potential and the direction we seem to be going in.

13 hours ago, TheChancellor said:

Very happy that we're finally looking a bit like The Arsenal again. Nice, fast, intricate passes and build up and an actual identity to how we're playing football.

Getting CL is absolutely crucial now as it would mean that in the summer we could massively improve our squad and perhaps be a legitimate contending team along with City, Liv and Chelsea.

Still a long way to go, but this is the most encouraged I've been since probably 2015 just in terms of our potential and the direction we seem to be going in.

This is why I'm adamant that whichever striker we buy in the summer needs to be someone who is quality in terms of link-up play.  Yes, needs to be a clinical (or as close as possible) finisher, but the link-up play is almost as important.  Think, as much as it pains me to make this comparison, a modern Van Persie; opens up soooo much in terms of spiking even further the ability of this midfield to slot them through.

6 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

This is why I'm adamant that whichever striker we buy in the summer needs to be someone who is quality in terms of link-up play.  Yes, needs to be a clinical (or as close as possible) finisher, but the link-up play is almost as important.  Think, as much as it pains me to make this comparison, a modern Van Persie; opens up soooo much in terms of spiking even further the ability of this midfield to slot them through.

Absolutely agree. Having that type of player is crucial for the way we want to play, especially considering the way that Øde, Saka, Gabi and ESR play, with intricate passes and great movement both on and off the ball.

With those guys we're starting to play our brand of football again, which has been (mostly) absent since we lost Cazorla and our midfield started to decline dramatically.

I'd love us to sign Jonathan David as a high-ceiling type of prospect along with a marquee striker signing in the summer. We'd have great depth + potential up front in our squad in that case.

That's without mentioning a Xhaka upgrade because I cannot stand that man, and either a winger or right-back.

Also hoping that Saliba will FINALLY be integrated into the squad. He's a beast and his potential it not scary - it's terrifying.

3 hours ago, TheChancellor said:

Absolutely agree. Having that type of player is crucial for the way we want to play, especially considering the way that Øde, Saka, Gabi and ESR play, with intricate passes and great movement both on and off the ball.

With those guys we're starting to play our brand of football again, which has been (mostly) absent since we lost Cazorla and our midfield started to decline dramatically.

I'd love us to sign Jonathan David as a high-ceiling type of prospect along with a marquee striker signing in the summer. We'd have great depth + potential up front in our squad in that case.

That's without mentioning a Xhaka upgrade because I cannot stand that man, and either a winger or right-back.

Also hoping that Saliba will FINALLY be integrated into the squad. He's a beast and his potential it not scary - it's terrifying.

My dream is David and Patrick Schick in the summer.  I'm a bit wary of Schick's injury history, but there are a number of options I'm alright with.  I just can't get on board with some of the names that some people are bandying about that have only worked in two-forward lineups previously; yes, those types of players certainly can adapt to working as a tip-of-the-spear striker but they tend to lack the kind of versatility to play with fluidity throughout the box (i.e. shifting to not only cover but to be able to be effective in the zone they're shifting into when one of the wide players makes an inside channel run on a cut).  Go back and watch Giroud, he lacked ideal pace for the job, but he was stellar at doing this whenever Ramsey and even Alexis made these sort of runs.

Also, what exactly do Chelsea think they're accomplishing with this request to move their FA Cup tie against Middlesborough behind closed doors with no fans allowed?  Just because Chelsea are being punished with sanctions Boro and its fans should be punished, too.  This is some classless BS.

Edited by Dr LBC

54 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

My dream is David and Patrick Schick in the summer.  I'm a bit wary of Schick's injury history, but there are a number of options I'm alright with.  I just can't get on board with some of the names that some people are bandying about that have only worked in two-forward lineups previously; yes, those types of players certainly can adapt to working as a tip-of-the-spear striker but they tend to lack the kind of versatility to play with fluidity throughout the box (i.e. shifting to not only cover but to be able to be effective in the zone they're shifting into when one of the wide players makes an inside channel run on a cut).  Go back and watch Giroud, he lacked ideal pace for the job, but he was stellar at doing this whenever Ramsey and even Alexis made these sort of runs.

Indeed, Giroud worked really well in many areas, apart from being, as you said, quick enough, and I would also add that he was never a clinical striker. Had long stretches of mediocre and bad form and the best Wenger was able to do was have Sanogo and Bendtner as alternatives.

Schick is a decent player although I will admit that he doesn't really excite me and I feel like he is a level below of where our standards should be, but as a rotational option, yes, decent enough.

And to answer your question about Chelsea, it is simply laughable and preposterous. Middlesbrough said it best in their statement, calling it ironic and bizarre, which it undoubtedly is.

Imagine calling upon sporting integrity when for the past 18 years your club has been owned by a mob man. Classless, pathetic, despicable club.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 1:46 PM, TheChancellor said:

Yeah they are building a great future at the Emirates. 

• Like 1