EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

While West Ham has been more than underwhelming this month, I watched that West Ham vs. Chelsea match and they played them very, very tough. With how hot and cold we are I can easily see another humiliating match. We only play top 6 teams with all our heart and soul it seems 😆

Ironically, you lot not having a single regular senior CB available for selection in the match thanks to the red card against Chelsea (in addition to Zouma's injury, etc.) makes me feel less secure about the match.  Largely because it's just been so very Arsenal of late to not only look gift horses in the mouth but to then pull out a gun and shoot the horse in the head to spite themselves.  It's like if you tell the side, this should be a gimme they hear, "You can shift into neutral and just coast and you'll get the points anyway," and then maybe one or two players bother to turn up on the day.

20 hours ago, NickButera said:

Does anyone else know more about the rumor that Gabriel Jesus may leave City this summer? I read some Arsenal rumors that they were interested and Haaland making his way to City. That'd be quite a shakeup. 

If he leaves I imagine it will be for a ton of money - especially to a PL club. He’s kinda streaky but I like the versatility he brings of playing on the wing, too.

He always looks like he’s about to cry, though.

Edited by Oregon Ducks

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

If he leaves I imagine it will be for a ton of money

Thing is, City don't sell often and when they do they don't sell for a ton; that's just fan conjecture doing its work.

One of the reports I'd read connecting him to Arsenal (Edu has been in talk with Jesus' camp for 6+ months at this point) even stated that City aren't necessarily even seeking full-payment upfront, and would be fine with installments.

Jesus likely sees the writing on the wall and it'll be either City or Bayern who lands Haaland.

25 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Thing is, City don't sell often and when they do they don't sell for a ton; that's just fan conjecture doing its work.

One of the reports I'd read connecting him to Arsenal (Edu has been in talk with Jesus' camp for 6+ months at this point) even stated that City aren't necessarily even seeking full-payment upfront, and would be fine with installments.

Jesus likely sees the writing on the wall and it'll be either City or Bayern who lands Haaland.

The thing is that Jesus has played for City on the wing as often as a striker. Unless he just wants to play striker, I think there's a place for him in City's attack somewhere. I don't know why City would want to sell to a rival. I think it's more likely that Sterling leaves them this year.

Just now, Oregon Ducks said:

The thing is that Jesus has played for City on the wing as often as a striker. Unless he just wants to play striker, I think there's a place for him in City's attack somewhere. I don't know why City would want to sell to a rival. I think it's more likely that Sterling leaves them this year.

And City just sunk a pretty penny into Grealish and have been giving him more and more time on the wing.  Add in increasing minutes for Foden.  Plus Mahrez.  Would they prefer to part with Sterling?  Sure.  But they also need to have someone that's interested in both paying Sterling the wage he's going to demand and that he's willing to go to... in a summer preceding a World Cup winter... where his stature in the England squad hasn't been the strongest of recent (and what may end up being his last WC since he'll be 32 by the time the one following rolls around).  There reaches a point where unless they're an irreplaceable player for City - which is rare given the money they've got at their disposal - they're not going to split hairs between one of their players or another if it comes to offloading in order to at least give the semblance that they're trying to balance the books (for the sake of not getting - god forbid - another slap on the wrist fine from UEFA for FFP violation).

I also don't believe City see "rivals" the same way most of us think of them.  At this point their rivals are Liverpool, United (for reasons that would affect the gates), and then you're looking at them considering the likes of Real, PSG, and Bayern as bigger rivals than other PL clubs.

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I was just reading that. That he really wants to play the 9 spot as he feels he's better there. Arsenal has a gaping hole at the 9 and he would fit right in. As a gunners fan I would be elated.  Also, I kind of agree with LBC, City is playing so head and shoulders above everyone else, only Liverpool would be a true rival at the moment. If they had someone like Haaland lined up to arrive, I can see them cutting Jesus loose to anyone. 

On 4/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, NickButera said:

I was just reading that. That he really wants to play the 9 spot as he feels he's better there. Arsenal has a gaping hole at the 9 and he would fit right in. As a gunners fan I would be elated.  Also, I kind of agree with LBC, City is playing so head and shoulders above everyone else, only Liverpool would be a true rival at the moment. If they had someone like Haaland lined up to arrive, I can see them cutting Jesus loose to anyone. 

Also, Jesus will have one year left on his contract as of this summer and has made no indication of signing an extension anytime soon.  Now, I fully recognize that a prime source of a lot of these Jesus to Arsenal links may well be not much more than Jesus' agent putting out "rumors" through his various press connections in order to provoke an extension offer from City.  But, as stated before, Edu has met with the representatives of a decent amount of any of the Brazilian internationals we've been linked to over the past year.

If I were to wager who our aims are right now for the summer (Arsenal have made little secret that they're after 2 forwards and a CM), I'd wager the principal targets are Jesus, Cody Gakpo, quite possibly Paulo Dybala on a free (I've been really hesitant to bite on these links, but they don't seem to be going away).  I wouldn't mind Tammy Abraham, who we've been linked to for almost two years, but I think he may be more a case of a player than Edu and Josh Kroenke want but not necessarily Arteta (who really does seem to prefer more diminutive forwards).

5 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I love Pep but he’s gotta get some of the blame.

I like him too, I’ve read his book twice. But he’s been to ONE final since the Barca team of the century. He’s won 0 without Messi and co. 

he HAS to sort this out quick. It’s one thing after the other in the CL 

Edited by Hunter2_1