EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

On 5/23/2022 at 1:35 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

I despise Liverpool, but it's quite frankly insane that Klopp has now had two seasons with 90+ points and didn't win a title in either. 

The fact he can pick his players up the floor from that just speaks volumes to him as a leader. Imagine going into a season knowing you can only drop points in 6 or 7 games to win the league ...

City's Premier League juggernaut continues. They are obviously in a totally different wage universe to Liverpool; that said, they are in the same bracket as Chelsea and United, and year after year Pep blows both out of the water.

I feel for Burnley. I actually live 20 mins from Turf Moor so I know a lot of Burnley fans. They have consistently been in the bottom 3 teams from a budget perspective and Sean Dyche had them punching above their weight for years. 

Unfortunately, it finally started to go sour this year and now they are a club with leveraged debt against their club, which will almost certainly see them lose millions (if not tens of millions) to debt interest, ala the Glazer takeover. 

Given we're both old (objectively speaking...) and have been doing this for a while, I figured you'd be the best person to ask.

Can you recall the last time a club was chasing qualification or winning something of particular note and needed to win all of their remaining 3+ fixtures in order to attain that... and then was awarded a PK in every single one of those matches that they needed to win?  It just defies law of averages.  I'm not even suggesting it hasn't happened before (not taking shots here, but there's an ironic part of me that believes if it has happened prior the beneficiary was probably Arsenal in the 90's or United in the early 00's; though I also wouldn't rule out Newcastle in the Shearer era either), but when statistical anomalies occur, I tend to stand up and take notice.

17 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Given we're both old (objectively speaking...) and have been doing this for a while, I figured you'd be the best person to ask.

Can you recall the last time a club was chasing qualification or winning something of particular note and needed to win all of their remaining 3+ fixtures in order to attain that... and then was awarded a PK in every single one of those matches that they needed to win?  It just defies law of averages.  I'm not even suggesting it hasn't happened before (not taking shots here, but there's an ironic part of me that believes if it has happened prior the beneficiary was probably Arsenal in the 90's or United in the early 00's; though I also wouldn't rule out Newcastle in the Shearer era either), but when statistical anomalies occur, I tend to stand up and take notice.

THANKS FOR THE AGEISM MATE (my 8 month old makes me feel old every day ...)

To answer your question - no, I can't remember an instance of that ilk. I never buy into the ref corruption stuff really. I just think it's often twitter distorting people's opinion and usually it's a way of denouncing rivals or making excuses for your own team.

What I would say as a United fan is that back in the glory days, Ferguson definitely was in the heads of refs. I wouldn't call that "corruption", as such. But it resulted in United getting the vast majority of 50/50 calls at home and, a fair few 40/60's too. 

I don't think that sort of thing happens anymore because of VAR and the worldwide nature of the game.

• 2 months later...

I had the misfortune of being at Old Trafford yesterday. Ground was electric beforehand; new Manager and a fairly decent 'Glazers Out' movement.

As usual at Old Trafford, it lasted all of about 15 seconds when Dalot nearly gifted Trossard a goal ...

The club is just an utter mess. How, in a team that is so poor top to bottom, has a recruitment team that costs millions, only managed to bring in two new players? One of whom (Eriksen) plays his best football in a position that your (overrated) second highest paid outfield player (Fernandes) plays.

ETH is just a Coach. It's going to take time for him to get even a 10% improvement out of players. But the fact remains the squad is so devoid of both talent and character; a cocktail for disaster.

But on top of that, it appears the Coach has far too much of an input on recruitment. We've already spent £50m on a player he's coached, we've been relentlessly linked to two more (FDJ / Antony) and the worst example - we've been linked this morning to a 33 year old Marko Arnautovic, whom ETH coachated in Holland.

When Klopp joined Liverpool, he pushed for the likes of Gotze because leaders like familiarity. But Edwards kicked back and brought in Mane and Salah because they were younger, cheaper, better fits for what Klopp wanted to do. 

United either let the Coach have too much influence on recruitment, or let financial people (Woodward, Arnold) have too much influence and sign commercially beneficial players rather than players who can help on the pitch.

The cherry on the top was watching Caicedo put in a top draw performance yesterday. United were heavily linked with him before he went to Brighton; clearly our scouting department liked him. But someone said no, and now he looks a top drawer prospect in a position United have relegation calibre players playing 45 games a season in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I had the misfortune of being at Old Trafford yesterday. Ground was electric beforehand; new Manager and a fairly decent 'Glazers Out' movement.

As usual at Old Trafford, it lasted all of about 15 seconds when Dalot nearly gifted Trossard a goal ...

The club is just an utter mess. How, in a team that is so poor top to bottom, has a recruitment team that costs millions, only managed to bring in two new players? One of whom (Eriksen) plays his best football in a position that your (overrated) second highest paid outfield player (Fernandes) plays.

ETH is just a Coach. It's going to take time for him to get even a 10% improvement out of players. But the fact remains the squad is so devoid of both talent and character; a cocktail for disaster.

But on top of that, it appears the Coach has far too much of an input on recruitment. We've already spent £50m on a player he's coached, we've been relentlessly linked to two more (FDJ / Antony) and the worst example - we've been linked this morning to a 33 year old Marko Arnautovic, whom ETH coachated in Holland.

When Klopp joined Liverpool, he pushed for the likes of Gotze because leaders like familiarity. But Edwards kicked back and brought in Mane and Salah because they were younger, cheaper, better fits for what Klopp wanted to do. 

United either let the Coach have too much influence on recruitment, or let financial people (Woodward, Arnold) have too much influence and sign commercially beneficial players rather than players who can help on the pitch.

The cherry on the top was watching Caicedo put in a top draw performance yesterday. United were heavily linked with him before he went to Brighton; clearly our scouting department liked him. But someone said no, and now he looks a top drawer prospect in a position United have relegation calibre players playing 45 games a season in.

CDM is just awful at OT. McFred experiment still going on is a travesty as is oVerrating Maguire because he's English And playing him in front of Varane 

14 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

CDM is just awful at OT. McFred experiment still going on is a travesty as is oVerrating Maguire because he's English And playing him in front of Varane 

Re: CDM - we just need a CM that can receive the ball on the half turn from his GK/CBs/FBs as a means of then being able to progress the ball forward.

Fred has consistently proven he cannot do this, and even worse, he is an absolute liability when he attempts to pass the ball back towards our own goal after receiving it facing his own goal. He nearly gave a goal away on Sunday with a misplaced pass doing this.

McTominay just doesn't have the confidence or technical ability to do it. He's far too passive, and will just play the safe pass back where the ball came from.

It's a unique skill to take the ball on the half turn. The best deep-lying CMs play like a radar, not like a winger i.e dribbling the ball. 

Rodri, Fabinho, Kovacic are brilliant at it. United don't have anything close to it.