EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

On 8/21/2022 at 9:36 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

We suck…but rumors are that Rodgers might be sacked…so that’s positive.

How many games do you think theyll give him to sort things? Cause they didnt give him a dime to play with this trade window. Which Ill take as a bad sign for him, and a good one for the next guy.

Man Utd clearly angry. Ran their As off. Ran 2km more than LFC, who usually run like bats outta hell.

I don't think this lasts, and they went back to a more OGS type gameplan, hitting them on counter, playing into space. This won't fly against most PL teams. But a great performance on the night.

In England, VVD and TAA are coming under scrutiny now. Both out of form, defensively

Edited by Hunter2_1

If anything, those sort of performances annoy me more than make me happy. That attitude should be the standard, not the exception.

It felt like United put in an insane amount of effort (barely saw the ball from the 30th min onwards) compared to their norm, and they still only ran for 2km more than Liverpool.

Like @Hunter2_1 eluded to - United have produced these performances in a few big games over the last few years when playing on the Counter Attack, only to follow it up with months of struggling against teams who refuse to let us play on the counter.

Like I said, that attitude has to be something we see week in, week out and in games where the crowd aren't going to be into the game. 

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

How many games do you think theyll give him to sort things? Cause they didnt give him a dime to play with this trade window. Which Ill take as a bad sign for him, and a good one for the next guy.

Very likely to depend (and fans calling for the heads of managers rarely consider this) on who is out there that would actually be an improvement.  I'm not talking a manager who tends to have expertise (or at least marked experience) in staving off relegation, but in actually improving the performance of the club to take them back to, at minimum, the recent standard they'd been accustom to.  Those "avoid relegation" stop-gap managers often don't enter the conversation for boards until at least Boxing Day (so I have to assuming with a winter World Cup in the middle of this season that's going to be when clubs will be shifting focus to making those assessments).  Zidane and Poch aren't even in the conversation for a club that history and stature of Leicester (sorry, but being blunt about it, it's true).  Maybe they could persuade Villas-Boas back, maybe they take a shot on Nuno.  But we have remotely seen the club reach the tipping point where Rodgers is going to be discarded for the like of Rafa or Dyches at this point - and they're not hiring any manager that's having greater success than them currently in the PL away so that rules out any sort of Marsch, Vieira, or Potter.  So in-league at least, their best bets on a full-court press that would certainly be no guarantee on the likes of Thomas Frank, really?

• Like 2

Teams like Leicester, who have overachieved these last 7 years or so performance vs budget wise, are always so susceptible to a drop off because they are so reliant on their recruitment being 'hits' rather than 'flops'. The hits are always going to leave, so it puts so much pressure on their replacements being hits too.

They obviously got unimaginable title winning hits with Vardy, Kante, Mahrez, etc. Then, they carried on to  have Champions League contention hits with Maddison, Tielemans, Maguire, Evans, Justin, Fofana etc.

But now, the hits have dried up and the flops have become much more prevalent than in the earlier years. Daka (£27m), Vestergaard (£16m), Praet (£17m), Perez (£30m), Soumare (£20m) - that's just too many flops for a team of Leicester's budget, even if they are funded by departures.

3 of those came in 21/22, which just can't happen if you are selling key contributors like Maguire and Chilwell the season before.

With those recent flops, rumours now floating of the club maybe being up for sale, their (arguably) best player now demanding he be allowed to leave, and key players getting up their in age, that is a cocktail for a dropoff and no Manager is going to fix that.

• Like 4

Moyes is a clown. I don’t care if we over-achieved last season, he hasn’t freshened anything up. The Rice/Souček double pivot is now being exposed as a bit one-dimensional, Tomas hasn’t shown up yet.

Antonio so far is a shadow of himself. Scamacca needs more time on pitch. 

meanwhile, David was caught complaining that Thilo wasn’t called “John or something”. 

The overreaction to the start of the season is funny to watch man. Liverpool will be just fine, their midfield is just a mess due to injuries and they have to rely on Salah and Diaz almost exclusively for goals. Even set pieces with no Matip or Konate.

Chelsea are a team that will get better as season progresses I think which is what I prefer. Too often we peak early or in first part season and levels drop. People talking about system this, system that when if you wanna criticise Tuchel for something is playing players out of position and top of that the quality just isn’t good enough especially with injuries. 

City are gonna be City. Spurs I have no clue why they are so favoured. Arsenal are in Europe this season and an or two would wreck them. Jesus looks great so far, I must say. United are just a mess and it’s gonna take time to rectify. Brighton and Newcastle are gonna take points off the big six for sure. If Brighton had better front players they’d be a Europa league team for sure and best team outside top 5-6. 

Edited by Kip Smithers

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

The overreaction to the start of the season is funny to watch man. Liverpool will be just fine, their midfield is just a mess due to injuries and they have to rely on Salah and Diaz almost exclusively for goals. Even set pieces with no Matip or Konate.

Chelsea are a team that will get better as season progresses I think which is what I prefer. Too often we peak early or in first part season and levels drop. People talking about system this, system that when if you wanna criticise Tuchel for something is playing players out of position and top of that the quality just isn’t good enough especially with injuries. 

City are gonna be City. Spurs I have no clue why they are so favoured. Arsenal are in Europe this season and an or two would wreck them. Jesus looks great so far, I must say. United are just a mess and it’s gonna take time to rectify. Brighton and Newcastle are gonna take points off the big six for sure. If Brighton had better front players they’d be a Europa league team for sure and best team outside top 5-6. 

LFC will be fine, but previous title races prove you can't be dropping that many points to City and hope to win the league. City will lose a few, but not many. LFC need to start this weekend

With Chelsea, are you not concerned about the lack of goals from strikers? Or having many viable strikers at all? Where do you see Chelsea finishing? I say outside the top 4, but thought the gameplan against Spurs was great. Should have won that one.

21 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

With Chelsea, are you not concerned about the lack of goals from strikers? Or having many viable strikers at all? Where do you see Chelsea finishing? I say outside the top 4, but thought the gameplan against Spurs was great. Should have won that one.

Oh my God, they are so desperate for one imo.

• Like 1