EPL Thread

SalvadorsDeli

Obviously the results are good, but still feels like the early Ole days with this Utd team.

I was happy to hear ETH say after the game that the goal is to eventually control games, because they aren't doing that at all right now.

Arsenal were the better side. Arteta blew it with the triple sub when they were battering Utd. Total disarray with the 3 at the back.

Some very good signs for Arsenal moving forward. Jesus was unreal and they controlled large portions of the game. Right back and more CMs required I'd say.

On 9/2/2022 at 2:17 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Haaland is irresistible. Nordic god masterclass!

all those here (in UK) who said he’d flop haha. 

Manchester City Football GIF

It's overrated how much "better" the EPL is compared to say La Liga. Most of it is just the right manager, lineup, and system. 

Pretty sure many managers could be successful if they had a MC budget.

or have a team with the 2nd best midfield of all time in Barca or coach a farmers league in Germany. 

But I digress. Didn't mean to make it a rant about Pep. It's moreso just showing how everything English is slightly overrated in Europe. Their players, their league. Seeing what players like John Stones and McGuire go for compared to their quality is crazy but it's the world we live in. 

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

It's overrated how much "better" the EPL is compared to say La Liga. Most of it is just the right manager, lineup, and system. 

Pretty sure many managers could be successful if they had a MC budget.

or have a team with the 2nd best midfield of all time in Barca or coach a farmers league in Germany. 

But I digress. Didn't mean to make it a rant about Pep. It's moreso just showing how everything English is slightly overrated in Europe. Their players, their league. Seeing what players like John Stones and McGuire go for compared to their quality is crazy but it's the world we live in. 

It's utterly flush with money.

The English top flight spent the equivalent of €2.2bn while Serie A spent €749.2m, Ligue 1 forked out €558.0m, La Liga invested €505.7m and Bundesliga spent €484.1m. It's about the equivalent of all of them combined.

As for English players, yeah it's hilarious. I'm English, but I find it unfathomable. Only world class player we have is Kane, and even then, he often doesn't show it. Maybe some of the RBs are in the conversation too

Edited by Hunter2_1

I think the depth is better and mid level teams in England are probably more talented.

Is there some sort of league mandated incentive for English teams to field English players? Or do they just throw money at them hoping they become a big marketing tool?

The one that jumps out at me recently is Grealish considering his fee and some of the players he plays over at times. City could have just about anyone they want

Edited by amac

10 hours ago, amac said:

Is there some sort of league mandated incentive for English teams to field English players? Or do they just throw money at them hoping they become a big marketing tool?

Each team can have a max EPL squad of 25 players, and only 17 can be non-homegrown players (go on Wikipedia to see the definition of homegrown). But, that isn't the main incentive for buying from English teams.

I think there is a misconception when it comes to the 'English Tax' on transfers. It's a tax on transfers to buy from English TEAMS; it's not the fact the players are English.

There's been plenty of transfers of non-English players between English teams that are eye-watering for the calibre of player at that point in time - Lukaku for £80m, Sigurdsson for £45m, Van Dijk for £75m (at the time, this was a LOT for what he'd achieved), Richarlison £40m (Watford > Everton).  

Despite what others have said above, it's very clear that Premier League Managers value Premier League experience. The pressure is just so insane on them that they are less likely to want to 'gamble' on players who haven't played in the league and (as importantly) haven't experienced living in England before.

There is a little bit of English player tax on top for the fact the players are more likely to want to stay long term (i.e no desire to leave the country), the fact they are likely to have more Prem experience and the fan factor of wanting to root for English players. But the primary reason is that (in general), there is so much more money behind EPL clubs that they don't have as much motivation to sell as their equivalents do in La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and Serie A.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, amac said:

I think the depth is better and mid level teams in England are probably more talented.

The one that jumps out at me recently is Grealish considering his fee and some of the players he plays over at times. City could have just about anyone they want

Most the leagues dont allow depth. La Liga allow RM and Barca to spend 200m more on their rosters than 17 teams in that league. 300m more than 10.

There is 0 competition.

These new Chelsea owners read Owning a Football Club For Beginners and still didn’t understand it.

So you clear out the old regime and then keep Tuchel, then you go through the transfer window without a DOF and as result you add that responsibility on Tuchel. Buy him his supposed targets (including signing a player he was close with at Dortmund) quite frankly overspending and then sack him a week after the window closes. 

What a colossal mess

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

These new Chelsea owners read Owning a Football Club For Beginners and still didn’t understand it.

So you clear out the old regime and then keep Tuchel, then you go through the transfer window without a DOF and as result you add that responsibility on Tuchel. Buy him his supposed targets (including signing a player he was close with at Dortmund) quite frankly overspending and then sack him a week after the window closes. 

What a colossal mess

Makes no sense especially since he just won them a champions league against city 

I'm very surprised by the decision. Tuchel is a great coach, I would have given him the entire season at least 

the only hire that doesn't represent a downgrade from him would be Graham Potter at this point, and that's looking more and more likely. with how fast it's moving, I have to think this was planned all along