Question of the Day 8/10. 1st Round Picks.

kgarrett12486

I think I'd like the 2 later picks in the first.  For me the top 5 picks are still hit and miss at times and the talent in the first round has been deep enough that getting 2 picks there would do wonders for team depth.  Those 2 picks would also still have a chance to become big time players as well. 

I guess it depends. Do we end up with a top five pick? 'Cause if we do, I'm moving up for a QB. 

Picking 25 and 27 means we made the playoffs. So I'm probably picking with 25 and trying to move 27 to acquire more (and possibly future) picks.

I'm going 25 and 27  like the guy above me said. That would mean they made the playoffs and I would use those picks on either a Left Tackle (if Smith doesn't get it together), DE, or a DB player. 

If this team does pick top 5 then it was a really bad season. The coaching staff is gone and this team will probably be drafting a QB with that pick and honestly if this team does pick top 5 then I would see QB as being the main reason for that. 

52 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

If we're picking 25 or 27, we don't need a QB. Top five, absolutely. 

Draft picks are overrated. Gimme a QB whatever the cost.

So essentially you're saying if we make the playoffs, we keep Jameis as QB, but if we pick top 5, Jameis needs to be replaced...

8 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

So essentially you're saying if we make the playoffs, we keep Jameis as QB, but if we pick top 5, Jameis needs to be replaced...

I mean. Probably. I doubt we're picking top five if Jameis continues to improve. But it'll be four years since we drafted him. And if he sucks, it'll be time to move on. A top five pick will mean we've got a new head coach. And a new head coach usually means a new QB.

I have no idea what that would mean for Licht.

28 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I mean. Probably. I doubt we're picking top five if Jameis continues to improve. But it'll be four years since we drafted him. And if he sucks, it'll be time to move on. A top five pick will mean we've got a new head coach. And a new head coach usually means a new QB.

I have no idea what that would mean for Licht.

If JW performed about like the last 2 years and we still wind up with a top 5 pick it would be bc of the d and o-line.  

I really think the offense can perform well and we could still wind up with a top 5 pick.  There is just so much other factors that go into it. 

For example (I realize it wasn't the starters) if JW is having to scramble for his life like he did most of the first preseason game then it won't matter how he plays to a degree bc his and the teams struggles would have a route cause being the line. 

Just now, Pickle Rick said:

If JW performed about like the last 2 years and we still wind up with a top 5 pick it would be bc of the d and o-line.  

I really think the offense can perform well and we could still wind up with a top 5 pick.  There is just so much other factors that go into it. 

For example (I realize it wasn't the starters) if JW is having to scramble for his life like he did most of the first preseason game then it won't matter how he plays to a degree bc his and the teams struggles would have a route cause being the line. 

Great QB play hides most deficiencies. If Jameis is good, it won't matter (as much) if the oline sucks. And if he's putting up points, it won't matter (as much) that we're giving up 25 ppg.

Manning's Colts teams were perennial playoff teams. The one season he missed, they won two games. We saw how bad Green Bay actually was last year when Rodgers went down. Jameis is nowhere close to either guy. But he can win us games if he plays well, no matter how bad we are in other places.

Another factor in picking in the top 5 is coaching which is the #1 thing that concerns me. The Rams and Jaguars were held down by coaching and when they got someone who knew what they were doing. They became playoff teams. 

Just seen the 2019 QB class and it does not look that good. If this team picks top 5 I'd look into going after Ed Oliver or Nick Bosa. Both are going to be difference makers. 

23 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Hypothetical and let's assume it's a good class like last few years. Handful of high end talents, middle part is ok and good value talent at end of 1st.

Would you rather have a top 5 pick, or two late 1st round picks (i.e like 25 and 27)?

Depends on our CB situation and OL play. I’d rather have a top 5 pick than two firsts. Good chance to get a generational // elite prospect.

On 8/11/2018 at 7:48 PM, Pickle Rick said:

When you do a deep dive of the analytics winston makes his ol look bad. They gave him Over 4 seconds before pressure. He needs to get it off and stop staring down receivers 

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

When you do a deep dive of the analytics winston makes his ol look bad. They gave him Over 4 seconds before pressure. He needs to get it off and stop staring down receivers 

A lot of that is the playcalling. We run the most vertical offense in the league. Those deep routes take time to develop. Jameis does tend to hold the ball too long sometimes. But combining the two is a recipe for disaster.

Archived